oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I think a lot of people are still thinking about how they got off to a pretty good start, had a few good results and that ding-dong game with Liverpool.

But they've had some heavy defeats recently, to Palace and Leicester and now the Chelsea result. Looks like other managers have got them sussed and they'll probably do well to manage a lower mid-table finish.

Thing is, there's absolutely no shame in a lower mid-table finish for a promoted side, it's an achievement in itself.

I'd be buzzing with that as a Leeds fan, it means you've stayed up.

But the media circus around them is unrelenting, despite their results not being particularly noteworthy, as Neverbefore said, they're not even the best promoted side in the last few years. They weren't even the best side in the Championship last season, Brentford were.

Bielsa being nominated for world manager of the year solely on the back of getting Leeds promoted is farcical.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

The media circus started before the season even started, they hadn't even kicked a ball at Anfield and half the BBC site was spammed with content around Leeds. Like there's a generation of Leeds lovers who came out of hiding.

But I think they're getting a lot of respect because they're brave enough to try and beat anyone and they do it in a way not many promoted sides do.

And let's be fair, Leeds were a *** shambles for a good decade or so. A new manager every year as promise dwindled to nothingness. They were so *** they needed a world class manager to come in and get them promoted. Bielsa deserves credit for that. And he also did that job without changing much in their personnel, whilst Wolves had Champions League quality players in the Championship. I think perhaps a better example of success from promoted sides is Sheffield United, or Steve Coppell's Reading side of 2007 that comes to mind with Kevin Doyle, Steve Sidwell, Marcus Hahnemann etc.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

And let's be fair, Leeds were a *** shambles for a good decade or so. A new manager every year as promise dwindled to nothingness. They were so *** they needed a world class manager to come in and get them promoted. Bielsa deserves credit for that. 

I'm not denying Bielsa has done a good job, he has, but both Monk and Christiansen had Leeds at the top of the table for large parts of the season before imploding.

It's not like Bielsa took over when they were on the verge of being relegated, they were already starting to challenge for promotion again. 

With the brief interlude of Heckingbottom, a bizarre appointment. 

5 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Thing is, there's absolutely no shame in a lower mid-table finish for a promoted side, it's an achievement in itself.

I'd be buzzing with that as a Leeds fan, it means you've stayed up.

But the media circus around them is unrelenting, despite their results not being particularly noteworthy, as Neverbefore said, they're not even the best promoted side in the last few years. They weren't even the best side in the Championship last season, Brentford were.

Bielsa being nominated for world manager of the year solely on the back of getting Leeds promoted is farcical.

This guy’s admitting to being a Leeds fan....

talking season 3 GIF

18 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Y'know, when you wage war against classes of people for a significantly long enough time, it is beyond unreasonable to turn around and target them for the way they express their response and say that they are the problem. It is even more unreasonable when you don't even exist as part of that aspect of society. We can literally never understand the pain and agony that black people have gone through, not just recently but over decades of systemic racism, hatred and bigotry. All we can do is listen, highlight, empower, back the positive side of the message. Booing footballers for trying to do that is not helpful at all. Do you think football in this country is intentionally backing a message of violence and racism with its messaging around black lives? Do you think that by supporting black lives in such a public way that they are encouraging violence? If not, why do we even need to sit and consider why Millwall fans did what they did? We know damn well why they did it and it's sweet *** all to do with opposing violence.

It's ridiculous that, instead of focusing on the positive notions of supporting black lives, that people think that actually the spotlight should be on these radical nasty 'elements', so much so that now this movement is apparently defined by racism and violence. That's just plain bloody ignorance, mate. It's no less ignorant than people who think tackling climate change is undermined by the likes of Extinction Rebellion's antics. Extinction Rebellion exist as a result of our leaders inability to focus on tackling climate change and whatever BLM does exists because we didn't tackle systemic racism.

We seem to have reached an ideological stalemate between right and left and there is no in between.

Left leaning people tend to support Black Lives Matter, acknowledge the imminent danger of climate change have no issues with LGBTQ+ folk, are happy to wear masks in public places and understand why the government has had to take draconian actions to preserve the lives of the weak and vulnerable.

On the other side of the coin, right leaning folk don’t tend to think that Black Lives Matter, get upset about climate change protests, have no affinity with LGBTQ+ issues and are cross with the government for making us all wear masks, stopping us from going to the pub and basically taking away our liberty and way of life to save a small percentage of the population.

In all my years, I’ve seen many single issues polarise opinions but never such a wide tranche of very specific yet unconnected issues that somehow define an individual’s political beliefs.

Is there no middle ground anymore? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Is there no middle ground anymore? 

Said the exact same thing in a previous post. It's like any sort of nuanced debate and any willingness to comprise is gone. You have to plant your flag on that side or this side, if you don't you're effectively the other side. 

What I find frustrating is 99 times out of 100 if both sides listened and were willing to hear one another out, they'd probably find they agree on nearly every issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Anyone just see Son's goal in the Spurs game? Ridiculous finish.

Great pass by Kane. But Son’s finish was ridiculous 👏👏👏

Of course there is a middle ground, most people are in the middle ground, it's just that those people don't tend to be the ones who shout the loudest. 

There are lots of people out there who don't need to be told to treat a black person with the same level of respect as a white person.  Those people quite clearly agree with the original BLM message.  The problem is that BLM stopped being just about that some time ago.  As happens with every protest group, other people join in, and try and hijack it with their own aims and agenda.  The same thing has happened with climate change, and has happened with protest movements throughout history.  It's even easier to do now because of social media, and the ease with which people can communicate their own message within the context of the original protest.  As soon as the BLM movement started espousing political aims/beliefs, they would automatically have lost those people who don't support those beliefs.  Lot's of people don't want the police defunding for example.  Some BLM supporters do.  Defunding the police has nothing at all to do with the basic original aim.  It seems like it does, but really it doesn't, it's something separate, but it can be mixed in with it, and so you then have diverging aims from the original movement, which is simply that people of all creeds and colours should be treated equally.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Great pass by Kane. But Son’s finish was ridiculous 👏👏👏

Yeah great play all round.

I must admit I never really rated Son that much,as I thought he was too inconsistent. On his day easily he is up there with Salah and Mane etc, but he never really replicate that over long spells. But I did a bit of digging and most of his "dry" spells in the past few seasons were normally him returning off the back of a spell on the sidelines. Now he's getting an extended run and importantly staying injury free (so far) that's changed my opinion on him.

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

Kane and Son combine again! 

If you summarised the Jose Mourinho playbook into one goal it would be that one

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Of course there is a middle ground, most people are in the middle ground, it's just that those people don't tend to be the ones who shout the loudest. 

There are lots of people out there who don't need to be told to treat a black person with the same level of respect as a white person.  Those people quite clearly agree with the original BLM message.  The problem is that BLM stopped being just about that some time ago.  As happens with every protest group, other people join in, and try and hijack it with their own aims and agenda.  The same thing has happened with climate change, and has happened with protest movements throughout history.  It's even easier to do now because of social media, and the ease with which people can communicate their own message within the context of the original protest.  As soon as the BLM movement started espousing political aims/beliefs, they would automatically have lost those people who don't support those beliefs.  Lot's of people don't want the police defunding for example.  Some BLM supporters do.  Defunding the police has nothing at all to do with the basic original aim.  It seems like it does, but really it doesn't, it's something separate, but it can be mixed in with it, and so you then have diverging aims from the original movement, which is simply that people of all creeds and colours should be treated equally.

Those are very good points and I know that you don’t go on Twitter, but if you did, you’d be amazed at how tribal it has become, even more so in the USA. 

• Like 1