• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9165003/Derby-set-pay-Richard-Keogh-2million-won-appeal-dismissal.html

Everything is just going south for Derby currently. Last week they couldn't pay their players, administration was a possibility, now the takeover is stalling and they have to pay Keogh 2 million for their shambolic treatment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Borodane said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9165003/Derby-set-pay-Richard-Keogh-2million-won-appeal-dismissal.html

Everything is just going south for Derby currently. Last week they couldn't pay their players, administration was a possibility, now the takeover is stalling and they have to pay Keogh 2 million for their shambolic treatment. 

The strange thing is his appeal over his sacking was upheld in an employment tribunal, but Derby (Of course they would) and also the EFL at the time of his sacking both turned his appeals down. I've also heard a few things on the grapevine that there is more to this than meets the eye. I think Derby are preparing to appeal this decision themselves, I think this will rumble on for a bit longer yet.

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

The strange thing is his appeal over his sacking was upheld in an employment tribunal, but Derby (Of course they would) and also the EFL at the time of his sacking both turned his appeals down. I've also heard a few things on the grapevine that there is more to this than meets the eye. I think Derby are preparing to appeal this decision themselves, I think this will rumble on for a bit longer yet.

The more I read about this, the more I hope they end up in League 1 next season.

4 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

They will definitely appeal, although I find it hard to see them winning when two other players who did far worse in the same incident remained on their books (Bennett has now left but remained employed by them).

1 hour ago, Will said:

They will definitely appeal, although I find it hard to see them winning when two other players who did far worse in the same incident remained on their books (Bennett has now left but remained employed by them).

I'm not that clued up on employment law (happy to be corrected) but would Keogh being injured long-term, where as Bennett and Lawrence being ok potentially skew things in terms of a breach of contract. Then consider neither were sentenced to actual prison time, I imagine if both were given jail time Derby may have terminated all three's contracts. I also can't be 100% sure but I think all 3 got offered new deals at reduced wages after the crash and Keogh was the only one to turn it down. 

24 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'm not that clued up on employment law (happy to be corrected) but would Keogh being injured long-term, where as Bennett and Lawrence being ok potentially skew things in terms of a breach of contract. Then consider neither were sentenced to actual prison time, I imagine if both were given jail time Derby may have terminated all three's contracts. I also can't be 100% sure but I think all 3 got offered new deals at reduced wages after the crash and Keogh was the only one to turn it down. 

Yeah, the sacked him after he refused to accept a huge pay decrease. You can’t just sack off employees like that. And I doubt you can terminate a contract. He was obviously welcome to stay if he accepted less money. That doesn’t really help Detbys case. I’m guessing they will just drag this on for as long as they can as they don’t currently have any money. 

8 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Yeah, the sacked him after he refused to accept a huge pay decrease. You can’t just sack off employees like that. And I doubt you can terminate a contract. He was obviously welcome to stay if he accepted less money. That doesn’t really help Detbys case. I’m guessing they will just drag this on for as long as they can as they don’t currently have any money. 

I get that, and it does appear they pretty much got shot of him due to his age, value (or lack of) and his large salary. But surely in terms of a footballing contract, getting injured in circumstances like this would be "Gross Misconduct" and in breach of that contract (as is the official Derby line)? It's not exactly like he's been injured on the field of play and they've terminated his contract. He (along with the others) did something incredibly reckless and surely must face the consequences of that, of which at the time was either accept a lower wage or get the sack. 

Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I get that, and it does appear they pretty much got shot of him due to his age, value (or lack of) and his large salary. But surely in terms of a footballing contract, getting injured in circumstances like this would be "Gross Misconduct" and in breach of that contract (as is the official Derby line)? It's not exactly like he's been injured on the field of play and they've terminated his contract. He (along with the others) did something incredibly reckless and surely must face the consequences of that, of which at the time was either accept a lower wage or get the sack. 

Does that make sense?

If he was driving yes. He was just a passenger on the back seat. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

He made a decision to get into the car, of which he knew the driver was over the limit. 

Maybe he didn’t knew the driver was over the limit. Maybe he trusted the driver when he said he could drive. He could have asked if anyone at the party was sober enough to drive him home as he’d had too much to drink. Still I wouldn’t expect to be sacked because my coworker crashed his car after having too much to drink. 

• Like 2
Just now, Borodane said:

Maybe he didn’t knew the driver was over the limit. Maybe he trusted the driver when he said he could drive. He could have asked if anyone at the party was sober enough to drive him home as he’d had too much to drink. Still I wouldn’t expect to be sacked because my coworker crashed his car after having too much to drink. 

I think it would be difficult to not know that Lawrence wasn't over the limit. They were all out drinking with each other. They also had the option of club chartered taxis, which they turned down.

On top of that Keogh himself was not wearing a seat belt when they crashed (which is against UK law). He isn't a blameless party, there were things that he could and should have done, that would have prevented all this.

Although, yes, he wasn't the actual person behind the wheel. He was the one that made the decision to turn down alternative transport, get in a car with someone over the limit and then make the decision to not wear a seat belt.