• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

21 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm saying it's not just Mike Dean, Lee Mason clearly thought it was a red card too as he's the one who brought it to Dean's attention.

The entirety of English refereeing is dogshit lately, it's embarrassing.

Refereeing was bad before, but VAR just seems to have made it worse.

In fairness to the referees and VAR officials, they are given a set of rules to follow, when determining when & how to use the system, but we are seeing some very dodgy interpretations of those rules. They're not entirely to blame, as they've been lumbered with a system with rules that aren't fit for purpose. But I agree they're not doing themselves any favours.

It really needs to go back to first principles and only be used if the ref has made a glaring error (like booked the wrong player) or missed something blatant.

All this BS about players being an elbow or big toe offside is just idiotic. They should be at least half a yard offside for it to count IMO.

The VAR officials also shouldn't be bringing fouls to to the ref's attention unless its something serious, like the Fry incident. Something that could be construed as dangerous play or a deliberate cynical foul.

They should have made it as simple and idiot-proof as possible, but instead they've made things even worse because the video technology is capable of discerning stupidly fine margins.

In principle I like the idea of there being a football equivalent of the "umpire's call" decision in cricket. But I'm not sure many refs would use it - they'd probably prefer to go with what the video evidence tells them and blame the system if there is any backlash.

Similar with the idea of giving managers reviews (maybe 2 per half?). Even if they asked the ref to look at something, theres no guarantee they'd get a correct decision.

I'd love to know what it is with football referees. With a few exceptions, cricket umpires and rugby refs seem to make the correct decisions more often than not and rarely miss anything important.

Why do football refs seem to perform so badly so often, in comparison?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Ah bugger!

We can forget about Bournemouth going into meltdown now.

Will probably be a good mentor for Woody (assuming he pays any attention).

There is absolutely no chance of them risking promotion by having Woodgate in charge for the rest of the season.

He barely managed to beat a woeful Birmingham.

He'll be back to an assistant in the next week or so and they'll bring in an experienced head.

Hopefully they fail whatever they do though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

There is absolutely no chance of them risking promotion by having Woodgate in charge for the rest of the season.

He barely managed to beat a woeful Birmingham.

He'll be back to an assistant in the next week or so and they'll bring in an experienced head.

Hopefully they fail whatever they do though.

Yet we have a very experienced manager who just got beat by Birmingham a few weeks ago😪

11 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Yet we have a very experienced manager who just got beat by Birmingham a few weeks ago😪

Yeah, and it was a shambles that we were all raging with because Birmingham are that bad.

It was also Birmingham's only win in something like 12 games. 

2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

All this BS about players being an elbow or big toe offside is just idiotic. They should be at least half a yard offside for it to count IMO.

So does VAR have to decide whether its 17inches or 19 inches offside then?

Its like I said in an earlier post. If you are going to use VAR for offside, the only way for it to work without getting into long delays, and armpits or toes being fractionally offside is to limit its use by the VAR official. A quick review of the still shot to decide whether the assistant ref is right or wrong would eliminate all the blatant wrong decisions and avoid ruining the game by stopping for 2 or 3 minutes and even then having a debate as to whether the ball left the passing players foot a fraction of a second earlier or later. IF VAR ref cant see immediately that it is offside then that should be that.

This isn't refs fault - its FIFA/EUFA/Refs association and how they looked to implement VAR.

And there was me thinking football was finally starting to come to its senses after decades of profligacy and excess that would make even Jordan Belfort think "now hang on a minute".

Silly me. I should have known the vested interests behind football would find a way to ensure players can still earn over £15,000 a week at Sunderland without anyone raising an eyebrow, let alone an objection.

1 minute ago, DurhamRed said:

It's a shame Salary caps would of kept Sunderland in League one for years 

I don't think we need salary caps for that to happen! They've found their true level - level on points with Accrington Stanley, and not as good as Peterborough.

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

I don't think we need salary caps for that to happen! They've found their true level - level on points with Accrington Stanley, and not as good as Peterborough.

Well they got a new owner now...He makes Gibson look poor.... without salaray cap they can probably buy themselves out from that leauge now.

3 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

To be fair the salary cap was wishful thinking. A club like Sunderland would be really hard done by as their income far outstrips most other League One clubs. So to have a set I stone figure for all clubs is pretty unfair.

Unless it's changed I'm sure they have a system in League One and Two where clubs can only spend a upto a certain % of their income on player wages. Which sounds like a better system to me. 

Bournemouth beating burnley away in FA Cup. Keep it up Woodgate. I am hoping you do enough to get job until end of season and as soon as u get job until end of season Bournemouth flop.

nothing personal against Woodgate. Just want bournemouth out the play of race and feel appointing Woody gives best chance of that happening.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

And there was me thinking football was finally starting to come to its senses after decades of profligacy and excess that would make even Jordan Belfort think "now hang on a minute".

Silly me. I should have known the vested interests behind football would find a way to ensure players can still earn over £15,000 a week at Sunderland without anyone raising an eyebrow, let alone an objection.

Alternatively the clubs could start taking some responsibility and stop handing out contracts they can’t afford.