oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

22 hours ago, Lee. said:

None of the Sunderland fans I know consider Middlesbrough as a derby. For that reason alone, neither do I. I couldn't give two hoots if Newcastle or Sunderland make their way to the Championship. It would be just another game for me. 

Well, their fans may not acknowledge it, but the Tees-Wear derby is officially a thing.

A quick Google shows results from Wikipedia, the Northern Echo, the MFC website and even Facebook.

Though it is usually also acknowledged that the Tyne-Wear derby is the bigger / more important fixture.

Even some contradictory comments from Chris Coleman, back when he was Sunderland manager:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-vs-middlesbrough-chris-coleman-14324634

On the one hand he insists Boro is not a derby game for them, then in the next sentence he says, "Boro is a big game - they're local rivals...the same as Hull".

I always thought the definition of a derby was a game against another team in the same league and in fairly close geographical proximity. 🤷‍♂️

I guess the number of games played and the leagues have something to do with it. Obviously the more matches and the higher the league, the bigger and more important they are.

Anyway, being a bit bored today, I pulled some figures from the 11v11.com site. I won't claim they're 100% accurate but I think they should give a decent picture. 

337696884_NEFootballDerbies.PNG.5b23c2ddf0a37cad1d07638cafbd5569.PNG

I think it shows there is a more established rivalry between all 3 clubs than some fans may care to admit...

• Like 2
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

So someone made up a rumour that James Rodriguez is transitioning and now he's trending on twitter. I'm sure he feels just wonderful 😩

The tweets causing it to trend are pretty disgusting. It's Football v Transphobia week as of yesterday so the timing of it all feels incredibly sinister to me, too. I've got no place for it at all. This was the statement from the group running the FvT week of action.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I always thought the definition of a derby was a game against another team in the same league and in fairly close geographical proximity. 

Originally it was two teams from the same city, outside of London there were only about half a dozen Derby matches:

Liverpool 

Manchester

Birmingham

Nottingham

Sheffield

Bristol

Stoke

It later grew into local rivals and even counties. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Brunners said:

So someone made up a rumour that James Rodriguez is transitioning and now he's trending on twitter. I'm sure he feels just wonderful 😩

Gestede must have done it a few times but kept changing his mind afterwards.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:08 PM, Brunners said:

Some very sad and bored people out there, what goes on in their heads is scary especially considering that they likely have the right to vote.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 3:01 PM, GrimsbyBoro said:

Originally it was two teams from the same city, outside of London there were only about half a dozen Derby matches:

Liverpool 

Manchester

Birmingham

Nottingham

Sheffield

Bristol

Stoke

It later grew into local rivals and even counties. 

Well you know how it is. Once one town / city has something, everyone else wants one. 😁

I guess our "local rivals" should be Darlington and Hartlepool, but since we've never been in the same league (at least as far as I recall) I suppose we've had to look further north.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Gibbo has done his ankle ligaments and will miss the rest of Norwichs promotion push. Hope you come back strong Ben!

Gutted for him. Glad he's getting a second chance in the premier League, he's always been good enough, just not enough of a battering ram for dyches liking. 

That's a big shame for him, but he's still been an integral part of a promotion side for the second time.

I'm sure he's loved this season after the shambles of a 2 years he had at Burnley.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Well you know how it is. Once one town / city has something, everyone else wants one. 😁

I guess our "local rivals" should be Darlington and Hartlepool, but since we've never been in the same league (at least as far as I recall) I suppose we've had to look further north.

We played Darlington in the 1966/67 season in the old division 3 and did the double over them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966–67_Football_League#Third_Division

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Wow - thats a looooonnnng time ago! 😁

Can't forget that season it was my first supporting the Boro. Over 50 years later I still haven't learnt my lesson UTB

• Like 2
  • Haha 1