• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

I dunno if anyone's seen this yet, but it gave me a bit of a chuckle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56586894

According to Declan Rice England are entertaining to watch...

anchorman ron burgandy GIF

Now I won't deny Southgate does a decent job of setting the team up to get results...up to a point.

But I think his definition of "entertaining" and mine differ greatly...

Believe the hype...its just like watching Barcelona and we're gonna win the World Cup!!!

Edited by AnglianRed
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

I dunno if anyone's seen this yet, but it gave me a bit of a chuckle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56586894

According to Declan Rice England are entertaining to watch...

anchorman ron burgandy GIF

Now I won't deny Southgate does a decent job of setting the team up to get results...up to a point.

But I think his definition of "entertaining" and mine differ greatly...

Believe the hype...its just like watching Barcelona and we're gonna win the World Cup!!!

image.gif.dd738f0f165d064213d19579501408fd.gif

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Leesider said:

Swansea concede an injury time penalty v brum.Oh  i luv it!!

Made even sweeter by the fact that it definitely shouldn't have been a penalty.

Karma.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Eddie Howe to Celtic seems as good as done. Can see him doing well there, then in 2/3 years time he'll get picked up by a Prem club.

Reckon he'll have a similar career path as Rodgers. Only complication could be Rangers being close to what they once were.

21 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Eddie Howe to Celtic seems as good as done. Can see him doing well there, then in 2/3 years time he'll get picked up by a Prem club.

Reckon he'll have a similar career path as Rodgers. Only complication could be Rangers being close to what they once were.

I don't think doing well there is a challenge, Celtic haven't finished outside the top 2 since 1995 and they've had managers that many fans up there would consider poor in that time.

Strachan did well there, he was dreadful in England

Rodgers clearly did a good job, but it was a 1 horse race for most of his time there and he had prior pedigree at Liverpool and Swansea.

I'm honestly surprised that Crystal Palace aren't in for him as surely Roy Hodgson will be retiring.

19 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I don't think doing well there is a challenge, Celtic haven't finished outside the top 2 since 1995 and they've had managers that many fans up there would consider poor in that time.

Strachan did well there, he was dreadful in England

Rodgers clearly did a good job, but it was a 1 horse race for most of his time there and he had prior pedigree at Liverpool and Swansea.

I'm honestly surprised that Crystal Palace aren't in for him as surely Roy Hodgson will be retiring.

Yeah I don't think finishing Top 2 will be a challenge for Celtic. But where the challenge lies is in rebuilding, what is a poor squad (by Celtic standards), they've lost a few "big" players I'm recent seasons and not really replaced any of them successfully. 

Yeah Palace is a strange one as on the surface they look in a good place to give a "project" a go. Have 10 (I think) first teamers out of contract, got a few decent players already there (Eze, Zaha etc) and you'd assume would have some money to spend.

From memory Howe couldn't settle with his family in Burnley although the official "leaving for personal reasons" covers a multitude of things. Quality of life on the South Coast is as good as it gets in the UK so I can see how his family would see Lancashire as somewhat depressing in comparison. If they struggled to adapt to life in Burnley then they will have an eye opener in Glasgow come the winter. If it comes off I think it will be very short lived and a car crash for both parties. Having said that Roy Keane would be an absolute nailed on car crash.

Celtic need to look outside of the obvious candidates but more importantly bring in someone who understands the mentality, demands and culture of managing the Club. It is far more than just another managerial appointment up there, the political, religious and psychological pressures are immense. To me Eddie Howe just looks to be the exact opposite to everything they need.

If Eddie Howe takes the Celtic job I can see him finishing in the top 2 and some big games in the Scottish league, for example Celtic v Rangers, Rangers v Celtic, Celtic v Rangers and of course Rangers v Celtic, definitely not a 2 team league. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

If Eddie Howe takes the Celtic job I can see him finishing in the top 2 and some big games in the Scottish league, for example Celtic v Rangers, Rangers v Celtic, Celtic v Rangers and of course Rangers v Celtic, definitely not a 2 team league. 

It just shows what a brilliant manager Sir Alex Ferguson was, managing to win the league 3 times with Aberdeen.

Screenshot_20210403-134710_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5dff76e4252bbbef1d350bdd1d339a69.jpg

There can't be many longstanding leagues in the world with such a small pool of title winning teams.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It just shows what a brilliant manager Sir Alex Ferguson was, managing to win the league 3 times with Aberdeen.

Didn't they win the Europa League (equivalent in the 80's) and the Super Cup under Sir Alex too?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Didn't they win the Europa League (equivalent in the 80's) and the Super Cup under Sir Alex too?

Yeah, he won loads there, the United achievements rightly get all the focus but I genuinely think what he did at Aberdeen is almost as impressive given who they were up against.

10 major trophies in 8 years.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Screenshot_20210403-134710_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5dff76e4252bbbef1d350bdd1d339a69.jpg

There can't be many longstanding leagues in the world with such a small pool of title winning teams.

Yes you've summed that up nicely it does show how brilliant Alex Ferguson was, and to think at a very early stage his job was under threat at Man Utd, and the rest as they say is history. He would have been a success anywhere he was that good.

• Like 1