oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

36 minutes ago, Leesider said:

Astonishing 5 nil victory for Sheffield Wednesday v Cardiff.Barry Bannon was clearly MOTM but Adam Reach outstanding also scoring twice. If Wednesday get relagated,we could a lot worse than resigning him.Looks to have really developed his game and would be a geat addition to the squad. Que the obligatory 'Whats the obsession with our ex  players'!

Just seen that. Few games ago I thought Cardiff were certs for the play offs. Looks like they're stopping down with us now.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Ivan Toney subjected to racist abuse again after tonight's game according to Sky Sports News.  I thought I'd have a look to see what was said:

image.thumb.png.12c56607d385528515711fabde965816.png

I don't use social media but I assume that this was an account specifically opened to do this as it has 0 followers and 0 posts if I understand what I'm seeing here?  It must be obvious that it's being done to get attention surely?  If someone sent me something like that I'd be pretty happy that I wasn't born as thick as them.  I'm not even sure what the message means, it's that bloody stupid 🤦‍♂️

• Angry 1

I don’t have any social media accounts but surely you have to give some sort of identification when opening one? An email address or telephone number? Is it that easy to get around giving some form of identity? If it is then it’s on the social media platforms, they should be shut down if they cannot provide traceability 

11 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I don’t have any social media accounts but surely you have to give some sort of identification when opening one? An email address or telephone number? Is it that easy to get around giving some form of identity? If it is then it’s on the social media platforms, they should be shut down if they cannot provide traceability 

I only have a Twitter account, but you only need to provide an email address. With hosts like gmail (Google's email service) and others its just too easy to create a temporary or one-use account.

It literally takes 5 minutes to create a new email account, so if one social media account gets blocked, it doesn't take long to set up another.

I'm all for companies like Instagram and Twitter providing full traceability for accounts found to have racist, homophobic or otherwise offensive posts. Also for the criminal justice system to impose much harsher penalties than currently exist. Hefty fines and prison sentences.

All this BS from the companies that they have to protect their users' privacy is just garbage. If you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Ivan Toney subjected to racist abuse again after tonight's game according to Sky Sports News.  I thought I'd have a look to see what was said:

image.thumb.png.12c56607d385528515711fabde965816.png

I don't use social media but I assume that this was an account specifically opened to do this as it has 0 followers and 0 posts if I understand what I'm seeing here?  It must be obvious that it's being done to get attention surely?  If someone sent me something like that I'd be pretty happy that I wasn't born as thick as them.  I'm not even sure what the message means, it's that bloody stupid 🤦‍♂️

Yep, sadly this kind of crap is far too prevalent.

As I said to Blanco, it is all to easy to set up a new account when one is blocked. Blocking accounts really is no deterrent when you're contending with hardcore racists like this.

Its scum like this that we need to kick out of football...and society in general...permanently.

EDIT: I'd also guess from the "fractured" nature of the post that English isn't their first language. Possibly some hasty Google Translate was involved?

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1

Thanks @AnglianRed I didn’t know what was involved in setting up an account and never considered one off fake email addresses. I thought that it would be similar to on here when we got our friend Adam from Dubai, it didn’t take long for him to be sussed out and the mods got rid of his account, although they did have to shut multiple accounts to nail him. I thought social media companies with all the staff that they have would easily be able to put a stop to the like of that crap sent to Ivan Toney

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Thanks @AnglianRed I didn’t know what was involved in setting up an account and never considered one off fake email addresses. I thought that it would be similar to on here when we got our friend Adam from Dubai, it didn’t take long for him to be sussed out and the mods got rid of his account, although they did have to shut multiple accounts to nail him. I thought social media companies with all the staff that they have would easily be able to put a stop to the like of that crap sent to Ivan Toney

This has been a long-running issue for a few years now, ever since celebrities started getting threatening / abusive messages on their accounts. Not to mention paedophiles trawling for kids.

For some reason the social media companies think they'll lose users if they submit data to the police...they probably actually would, but they're not the kind of users any respectable company wants anyway. If this is their only argument, its a paper-thin one.

In any case, from what I've read there are alternative platforms on the "Dark Web" used by organised criminals and other unpleasant types.

If these companies were more serious they could start blocking the IP addresses these accounts use. Its not hard to do and is a standard tool with most web hosting services. Again this wouldn't be 100% effective, but it would certainly inconvenience these scumbags a lot more than just blocking / deleting accounts.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Its happening 4 or 5 times a week now. The problem is getting worse, not better.

Not that it makes it any better, but I think it's probably more that Sky are reporting the abuse more now than it's increasing.

Players are more willing to call people out on it now too, thankfully.

16 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Not that it makes it any better, but I think it's probably more that Sky are reporting the abuse more now than it's increasing.

Players are more willing to call people out on it now too, thankfully.

Yeah I definitely think that's part of it but like you say, doesn't make it any better. Just shows it's always been there.

12 hours ago, Changing Times said:

It's not just to get attention, it's to avoid any kind of association to them. They can't be brought to justice for racial abuse if they can't be connected to it. The worst in society use that anonymity to their advantage to abuse/harass people for the colour of their skin, their sex, their gender.

It is awkward though because some people use these systems to essentially be themselves without outing themselves. It's still hard to live publicly, sometimes even within your own family, as a transgender person for example. So what happens to them if you need ID to sign up to Twitter? They potentially lose their community or their safety.

Good to see Southgate bringing the three lions hopefully some fans can attend in some capacity maybe making it local restriction so we don't have England fans from around the country traveling up with the plague.  Assum the club will make a few million from it aswell so every little helps towards the transfer kitty

• Like 1