• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

8 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Man City only spent a billion to get to a champions league semi final 😂

Its for precisely that reason I desperately want them to fail.

The kind of money being thrown around at the top echelon of football is just obscene. Simply hoovering up the best talent around to win trophies is not an achievement in my eyes.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

The kind of money being thrown around at the top echelon of football is just obscene. Simply hoovering up the best talent around to win trophies is not an achievement in my eyes.

The three other teams in the semi finals have done the exact same so not sure how you can criticise one ahead of the others!

• Like 1

I think out of the 4 teams I'd rather Madrid or psg win, purely for style of football. Man city and Chelsea, while incredibly effective and supremely skilled, are so boring to watch to me. 

Of the 4, I'd choose Man City.

In an ideal world it wouldn't be any of them, but I've no wish to see PSG win anything ever and Real Madrid winning another European title is hardly thrilling.

Though it would be funny if Tuchel and Chelsea beat PSG in the final after PSG sacked him for losing last year's final.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

The three other teams in the semi finals have done the exact same so not sure how you can criticise one ahead of the others!

Ideally I'd have liked them all to fail, but 1 has to win... 🤷‍♂️

In any case City are one of the teams making a mess of the PL. I don't really care as much about the others.

4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Mancity bought a 13 year old kid from Stevenage for 450k yesterday 🙄

• Wow 1

The game that we loved has now been ruined and turned into Billionaires toys much like their latest Yacht, Penthouse or Supercar. It's just a shame that all four of the Champions League semi finalists couldn't lose. My only pleasure is that I haven't watched a Champions League game in years. I have lost any interest I once had in European and International competitions a long time ago and the Premiership is now heading into that territory for me as well. Saying that I haven't watched an FA Cup Final in over ten years either, the predictability factor of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, City, Liverpool etc. has killed any interest in it as a contest. The Wigan and Portsmouth wins were a blip and before then even the Everton and Spurs wins were blips, only of a slightly lesser nature.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The game that we loved has now been ruined and turned into Billionaires toys much like their latest Yacht, Penthouse or Supercar. It's just a shame that all four of the Champions League semi finalists couldn't lose. My only pleasure is that I haven't watched a Champions League game in years. I have lost any interest I once had in European and International competitions a long time ago and the Premiership is now heading into that territory for me as well. Saying that I haven't watched an FA Cup Final in over ten years either, the predictability factor of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, City, Liverpool etc. has killed any interest in it as a contest. The Wigan and Portsmouth wins were a blip and before then even the Everton and Spurs wins were blips, only of a slightly lesser nature.

Totally agree with you moneys killed the game, you can't possibly compete with the big boys, they just splash the cash year after year and offer players obscene salaries, every other club are just making the numbers up. The coaches in charge of these clubs may be good but 100 to 250 mill to spend every season bloody helps, I wonder how most of these coaches would fair with a lower league club with very little money to spend. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Mancity bought a 13 year old kid from Stevenage for 450k yesterday 🙄

Absolutely insane.

How can anyone tell if a kid that age is going to make it at senior level?

Even more insane when you consider he'll likely never get anywhere near City's first team, except for cup ties against lower league teams.

Have to admit I don't know much about how this sort of thing works, but I imagine he'll spend a few years at the academy, before getting farmed out to Championship or League 1 clubs...unless he shows signs of being the next Sterling or Foden.

Another thing that really baffles me is the practice of big teams buying a young / promising player, then immediately loaning them straight back to the club they bought the lad from.

And in the meantime plenty of clubs will be casting about for free transfers and loan deals just to be able to field a decent first XI.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Absolutely insane.

How can anyone tell if a kid that age is going to make it at senior level?

Even more insane when you consider he'll likely never get anywhere near City's first team, except for cup ties against lower league teams.

Have to admit I don't know much about how this sort of thing works, but I imagine he'll spend a few years at the academy, before getting farmed out to Championship or League 1 clubs...unless he shows signs of being the next Sterling or Foden.

Another thing that really baffles me is the practice of big teams buying a young / promising player, then immediately loaning them straight back to the club they bought the lad from.

And in the meantime plenty of clubs will be casting about for free transfers and loan deals just to be able to field a decent first XI.

I remember a few year ago Bobby Moncur on the football phone in, and Allie Brownlee asked him about how many kids make it from a youth academy, 1or 2 in my experience if your lucky he replied, always sticks with me that, and these idiots at City pay 450k for a 13year old, its disgusting when some clubs can't even afford to buy a senior player for that money. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I remember a few year ago Bobby Moncur on the football phone in, and Allie Brownlee asked him about how many kids make it from a youth academy, 1or 2 in my experience if your lucky he replied, always sticks with me that, and these idiots at City pay 450k for a 13year old, its disgusting when some clubs can't even afford to buy a senior player for that money. 

On the other hand, that's the kind of money that can keep a club like Stevenage alive during times like these. 

• Like 3