oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

15 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Remember when the big clubs used to complain about having to play too many games 🤭

The sooner the big six sod off,the better! Maybe we would have some chance of competing in a new restructered league. Our last season in the top flight was embarrasing wondering how many we were gonna concede.Bring it on😎

• Like 2
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Uwe said:

European super league. Including six English clubs becoming a step closer

https://apple.news/AREVWoUOTRRulYSA6qtul7A

Good riddance, I *** despise the ‘top 6’ and everything they stand for. This provides an opportunity for a radical restructuring of English football - the top level could actually be made competitive again. If that opportunity is grasped, English football could be heading in a very exciting direction. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Yeah, I sadly cannot see Rotherham making up the points now. Two defeats to relegation rivals in a row.

Their remaining fixtures are Middlesbrough, Barnsley, Brentford, Blackburn, Luton and Cardiff.

I don't think they'll win any of those remaining games, they looked exhausted today and the fixture build up isn't slowing down.

Leaving fatigue out of it, I'd back them to beat us, Blackburn and Luton. But if they are knackered, then maybe they are done for...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

UEFA and the leagues are having none of it.

Good.

Scumbag owners trying to make themselves richer, it's a horrific idea that would ruin the game.

Fully agree.

Though UEFA aren't helping themselves by expanding the Champions League even further, creating even more of a fixture pile-up for the clubs involved.

If anything, thats one competition that needs shrinking...but of course the fat cats don't want to lose the money.

I don't know that a Super League would ruin the game. There are pros and cons:

Pro: top flight domestic football gets a more level playing field and becomes more competitive.

Con: PL loses a lot of TV revenue as broadcasters shift focus to the SL, with the resultant financial impact on the remaining clubs and lower leagues. Cup competitions also viewed as less important without the "Big 6" competing.

Personally I loathe the idea of a Super League, but I can see how it would appeal to a lot of fans, as well as owners.

But depending on the scheduling, cost of attending games, merch sales etc. I wonder if it would have any longevity, or whether existing in its own "bubble" the novelty of the same teams playing each other over and over again would wear off after a while?

Edited by AnglianRed

I don't think it appeals to many fans domestically at all.

The owners are chasing foreign money and trying to protect their own investments.

The fans have never came in to the equation.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

But depending on the scheduling, cost of attending games, merch sales etc. I wonder if it would have any longevity, or whether existing in its own "bubble" the novelty of the same teams playing each other over and over again would wear off after a while?

This isn't the end game mate.  The end game is a global franchise league, run along the same lines as the NFL over in the States.  This would just be the first part of it, whether all of the clubs involved realise it or not.  So you'd have a team in Tokyo, one or two in China probably Shanghai & Beijing, one or two in India, Delhi and Mumbai let's say.  Bangkok gets a team, Dubai gets one, Seoul gets one, and there will be two in America - New York and Los Angeles.  South and Central America get a few teams - Sau Paulo, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Africa gets one or possibly two to begin with, Cairo in the north definitely being one of them, perhaps Lagos if the Nigerian economy continues to develop.  In Europe we get a few, Moscow, London, Milan, Munich, Paris, Madrid and Barcelona.  Maybe Manchester gets a team because of their backers but only one team.  That's 23/24 teams already.  Saudi wants a team so Riyadh has one.  Indonesia has a big population so Jakarta gets a franchise.  Then the Chinese government agree to pay an extra billion a year for their TV rights so they can have a third franchise, Qatar and Azerbaijan want teams and are willing to pay for them so there's one each.  A team in Australia would neatly put one in just about every part of the world.  Of course being franchises, the teams can be moved elsewhere just as long as the new location is willing to guarantee increased income for the league as a whole.  The Yanks are getting involved in the financing of it all, and various people are getting involved in buying major football clubs, in part to position themselves with their foot in the door now.  A European only league would be peanuts compared to a global competition though.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Uwe said:

European super league. Including six English clubs becoming a step closer

https://apple.news/AREVWoUOTRRulYSA6qtul7A

Lust, Gluttony, Greed three of the seven deadly sins:

"Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags."

When it all ends in tears lets hope they are ostracised for good.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Boro need to try for top 9 now actually as if they do break away and the big 6 are expelled from league would be 9 promotion spots up for grabs

Watch that happen and us finish 10th 😄

• Haha 4

This whole super league think just sounds like a really sh*t boring concept that has next to no mileage from what am reading.

Apart from the clubs themselves everyone - fans, media, ex footballers, pundits, politicians, Government and so forth seem against it. Given that level of opposition I don't even know how such a concept comes even close to being a reality.

I imagine its a ploy by these big clubs to force UEFA to give them a bigger slice of the cake so to speak.

• Like 1