oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Very disappointed MFC have not made a statement. We might never be a 'small town in Europe' again but I'll be gutted if we don't fight for the right for someone else to be. 

All 86 clubs are in this together. We need to protect our national sport and community clubs from foreign billionaire parasites while we still can. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Brunners said:

A couple of the Big 6 from England are apparently getting cold feet and are accusing Liverpool & Man U of "lying to them"

Have to imagine it's Chelsea and City, who only joined the whole thing cause of FOMO in the first place!

I can't imagine why. I mean, surely they know they can count on all those "fans of the future" to throw their support and money at the ESL? 😁

Or possibly they just found out that what Smogzilla & Duvel said is correct - that the whole thing was a charade, aimed at extorting more money and control?

I hope this is the case. But even so, the clubs (or their owners at least) will always now be tainted for their involvement.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm furious that our club have stayed silent on the matter.

To the point of Warnock saying he doesn't know anything about it and can't comment, which I expect is partly directed by a request from Gibson to keep quiet.

This isn't true.

He said he hasn't had time to digest it and to be fair to him, the dust has barely settled at all in our own discussions about it. I've been involved in active talks about this since it broke, on here, with my colleagues, with fellow people in my industry and it's still going on right now. It's mentally exhausting being part of it.

But still, he did make quite a strong statement about the idea of it regardless of him saying he hadn't seen it as a whole.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-european-super-league-20424543

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This isn't true.

He said he hasn't had time to digest it and to be fair to him, the dust has barely settled at all in our own discussions about it. I've been involved in active talks about this since it broke, on here, with my colleagues, with fellow people in my industry and it's still going on right now. It's mentally exhausting being part of it.

But still, he did make quite a strong statement about the idea of it regardless of him saying he hadn't seen it as a whole.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-european-super-league-20424543

Was just coming here to say this - bit of an unfair stick to beat him with, that, @TeaCider24 !

I'm finding it quite heartening seeing the number of senior, respected individuals coming out against the ESL...including 2 managers of our selected 6 teams (so far).

Don't know how much ice it will cut with those driving the proposal (if any), but the sheer amount of opposition from all quarters must at least have them worried.

They must know they are very much in the minority, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Unless I am mistaken, didn't something like this happen in the States years ago. A split from FIFA and an all-for money kind of league with weird rule-changes. They bought up loads of top players from around the world too. The problem was, that though those players were payed very well, they weren't allowed to play in FIFA competitions, so no World Cup, etc. 

All very well if you're a player who decides to join, I guess, but if you play for a team and they decide to split from FIFA/UEFA, then I'd imagine you would be suing for breach of contract.

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

This isn't true.

Yeah, that wasn't included in the segment of the interview they've released on the club website and was published over an hour after I'd posted that comment.

The club have still released nothing against the moves, it's been 2 days. Clubs up and down the country and across Europe have publicly criticised the decision.

It's not enough to have the Gazette gild an article from an answer in an interview that isn't available to the general public.

I normally don't mind this season's concession to the press as it helps a struggling sector, but this issue is too important to hang about on.

The club should be condemning it themselves.

I don't expect Middlesbrough's statement or lack of one will have much impact, but it's a matter of principle.

Edited by TeaCider24
40 minutes ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

Unless I am mistaken, didn't something like this happen in the States years ago. A split from FIFA and an all-for money kind of league with weird rule-changes. They bought up loads of top players from around the world too. The problem was, that though those players were payed very well, they weren't allowed to play in FIFA competitions, so no World Cup, etc. 

All very well if you're a player who decides to join, I guess, but if you play for a team and they decide to split from FIFA/UEFA, then I'd imagine you would be suing for breach of contract.

I'm sure Columbia did something similar in the late 40's early 50's, that was separate from FIFA.

And for some reason I associate New York Cosmos with a similar thing in the US too, but not sure if that is just me putting 2 and 2 together. Pretty sure the US stuff was all above board?

2 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Very disappointed MFC have not made a statement. We might never be a 'small town in Europe' again but I'll be gutted if we don't fight for the right for someone else to be. 

All 86 clubs are in this together. We need to protect our national sport and community clubs from foreign billionaire parasites while we still can. 

"Please send us an invite, we'd love to join.  Kerchinnggg"

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Sounds like it was the Yanks driving it and the others going along with it so as not to miss out, certainly in terms of the English clubs anyway.

Doesn't make it any better whether they did it through fear of missing out or whatever else, for me. Their joint statement was clear enough, they made that with one mind even if they're now pointing fingers at one another behind the scenes. They have to take responsibility for themselves as individual clubs being involved with it. If they truly cared for the game, they wouldn't have been considering it for a second and they don't get to squirm out of it with some of the crap I've heard them saying, that they were mislead by the Americans or whatever.

I suspect those getting cold feet about it right now will be trying to figure out a way of navigating out of this without making them look like the bad guys, rubbish. They're all as bad as one another and anyone who pulls out of it now should apologise to their fans at the bare minimum.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Doesn't make it any better whether they did it through fear of missing out or whatever else, for me. Their joint statement was clear enough, they made that with one mind even if they're now pointing fingers at one another behind the scenes. They have to take responsibility for themselves as individual clubs being involved with it. If they truly cared for the game, they wouldn't have been considering it for a second and they don't get to squirm out of it with some of the crap I've heard them saying, that they were mislead by the Americans or whatever.

I suspect those getting cold feet about it right now will be trying to figure out a way of navigating out of this without making them look like the bad guys, rubbish. They're all as bad as one another and anyone who pulls out of it now should apologise to their fans at the bare minimum.

Doesn't make it any better definitely, but it hopefully makes it more likely to fall apart.  This time at least.