• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Sounds like this could have been the tipping point that convinced them all to back out. FA told them they'd be kicked out of all domestic comps and the Government was willing to change laws to make it happen.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

So many arguments with my mates at the moment around "punish the owners not the fans"

Absolute ***. There's a list of about 40 EFL clubs that have been screwed over by terrible owners and each time the club and the fans have had to suffer. Now there's talk of consequences for the big 6 it's all "aw that's not fair on the fans though". I couldn't care less. Welcome to the real world of 21st century football. 

Aye it wasn’t us fans who decided not to turn up for the Blackburn game. It wasn’t Sheff wed fans who decided chansiri could sell the stadium to himself.

If the PL/UEFA were serious about nipping this in the bud it should be big fines, a significant  points deduction and a minimum years European ban. At least that’ll ensure most fans won’t forget about it in 6 months time, because let’s be honest this’ll be largely forgotten once the next distraction pops up like; whether Rooney will be fit for the Euros or when Pogba‘s new brand of aftershave comes out.

• Like 1

This will all quietly go away now, I bet. It shouldn't. 

All 6 clubs should start next season on minus 20 points and banned from European competition. Huge fines to the owners to be spread amongst the other clubs in the league pyramid and grassroots level.

Won't happen though, can't upset the Big Six.

• Like 1

I believe that the only thing that will happen is that there will be a huge back lash from fans when they return to the grounds, a lot of disaproval aimed towards the owners and reminding them that the club needs their fans

I enjoyed last night so much, I made myself a bowl of nachos and flicked between BBC News and SSN for a happy hour. However, now it's the morning after the night before, I agree with other posters this entire affair could be quietly airbrushed from history, like that time you farted in front of the vicar that nobody ever talks about. Even though it stank the place out and he left soon afterwards.

I don't think PL points deductions would achieve much, since the Premier League has trundled on unaffected, and it should really be sacrosanct. Instead, hit the b**tards where it hurts. Ban those six clubs from European football for two seasons, and tell them any future attempts at circumventing UEFA/FIFA will see the punishments automatically doubled.

For those two seasons, allocate the four English CL places to the four highest-ranked teams who aren't the 'big six', and let some other legacy fans enjoy a season in the sun. Not only would that serve as a lasting reminder of what's happened, it would be a very fitting punishment. The Glazers, Henrys and Abramovichs thought they could create their own European utopia. Instead, they'd be frozen out entirely, watching West Ham and Leicester have all the fun. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I enjoyed last night so much, I made myself a bowl of nachos and flicked between BBC News and SSN for a happy hour. However, now it's the morning after the night before, I agree with other posters this entire affair could be quietly airbrushed from history, like that time you farted in front of the vicar that nobody ever talks about. Even though it stank the place out and he left soon afterwards.

I don't think PL points deductions would achieve much, since the Premier League has trundled on unaffected, and it should really be sacrosanct. Instead, hit the b**tards where it hurts. Ban those six clubs from European football for two seasons, and tell them any future attempts at circumventing UEFA/FIFA will see the punishments automatically doubled.

For those two seasons, allocate the four English CL places to the four highest-ranked teams who aren't the 'big six', and let some other legacy fans enjoy a season in the sun. Not only would that serve as a lasting reminder of what's happened, it would be a very fitting punishment. The Glazers, Henrys and Abramovichs thought they could create their own European utopia. Instead, they'd be frozen out entirely, watching West Ham and Leicester have all the fun. 

Be careful now. That idea would put Leicester, West Ham, Everton and dirty Leeds 😵 in the Champions League as things stand

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, boro-unger said:

The arrogance of these owners is incredible. They assume that if they ask the fans to jump, they'll say "how high?"... If they ask the fans to watch their new league, they'll say "what channel?", If they ask the fans to pay more of their hard earned money for it, they'll say "how much?"...

They assume we watch football for entertainment. And that we want more of it. We don't follow football for entertainment. We follow it because... it's just what we do. How often do you feel "entertained" at a football match or watching your team on TV? Occasionally at best. And yet here we still are...

You go for the anticipation as you walk up to the stadium, the hope that this season it'll be different, the moans, the elation when you score, and the sinking feeling when you concede a goal... You go for the chats you have with the bloke who sits near you, whose name you didn't quite catch the first time you met him, and it's been too long to ask him again, so you just call him "mate" now.

But 'entertainment'? No thanks!

Heh. Yeah - with Boro entertainment tends to be the exception rather than the norm.

But I agree for the majority of football fans...including most of us, I guess, football is so much more than just entertainment.

Its about where you're from, its often a family thing, its tradition, its tribal, it can be about a sense of belonging.

Sometimes it can be as silly as just liking the kit, or a particular player. I mean the first team I ever followed (followed, not supported) as a kid were Spurs...simply because I liked the kit and because Gary Lineker was playing for them at the time.

I ended up supporting Boro because I lived nearly half my life on Teesside (Billingham to be precise) and went to a fair few games at the Riverside during my student years. Plus I'm a sucker for an underdog.

I'd bet those business moguls could never understand something like that.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I don't think it will be airbrushed from history.

Football fans tend to have long memories and an amazing ability to hold grudges, right? I reckon those 6 clubs will get some pretty tasty chants aimed at them for the next couple of seasons, by rival supporters.

It might sound weak, but I think (hope) those owners will have learned their lesson, from the furious backlash both here and across Europe. Not to mention the scathing attacks from FIFA and UEFA.

The idea for a ESL or even WSL might not be entirely dead and buried, but I reckon it will be a good while before anyone works up the nerve to try something like this again.

8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

The idea for a ESL or even WSL might not be entirely dead and buried, but I reckon it will be a good while before anyone works up the nerve to try something like this again.

I just think these big money men will just go back to the drawing board to think up of a new plan with the exact same end objective except this time how they get the fans support on board before they go off half cocked next time. Most of us on here will have at least heard off or utilised a SWOT analysis many times, that they didn't shows their arrogance and true thoughts on supporters (or Legacy fans as they seemingly like to call them). Their love is Money, not Liverpool or Arsenal etc.

There again maybe they did conduct a SWOT analysis and their total detachment from the game clouded their analysis, rubbish in, rubbish out.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Football fans tend to have long memories and an amazing ability to hold grudges, right? I reckon those 6 clubs will get some pretty tasty chants aimed at them for the next couple of seasons, by rival supporters.

"Sing when you're spending, you only sing when you're spending"

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I just think these big money men will just go back to the drawing board to think up of a new plan with the exact same end objective except this time how they get the fans support on board before they go off half cocked next time.

I dunno. I really struggle to think what they could offer...other than shedloads of money, that might persuade clubs to sign up to any kind of breakaway league. The reaction from the fans and authorities would be exactly the same I'd imagine.

I think its more likely, as CT suggested, they might try to start an entirely new league from scratch (IPL style) and create franchise teams...possibly attempt to lure the top players from around the world with ludicrous contracts. New brand but established big name players...

I think (and again hope) that what this debacle has shown is that it would be incredibly difficult to get established teams to break away from their domestic leagues, no matter how they try and go about it.

Although they really did shoot themselves in both feet with those leaked comments about "legacy fans" and such.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I don't think it will be airbrushed from history.

It might sound weak, but I think (hope) those owners will have learned their lesson, from the furious backlash both here and across Europe. Not to mention the scathing attacks from FIFA and UEFA.

I completely agree fans will remember this for decades. I was more referring to the big six themselves, and also to the likes of Sky. I think much of the fury we've seen from the media has been underpinned by a degree of self-interest, trying to protect their prized cash cow. Now the money tap is back in the On position, I think a lot of people high up in football will want to get back to business as usual and forget all about this 'blip'.

It's up to journalists, pundits and fans - including us - to ensure this disgraceful affair isn't forgotten about, especially when next season's Champions League starts and the media are creaming their pants about the prospect of Juventus playing Real Madrid in the group stages. It's also up to fans to get these cancerous parasites out of the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal, and to continually pressure Government to introduce far more stringent legislation on who can buy and own football clubs.

Let's face it, if we had a fit and proper Fit & Proper Persons Test, would Man U really have been sold to a company who have effectively spent twenty years making the club repay the debts incurred by the purchase? Would some shady and unaccountable Russian oligarch have been allowed to buy Chelsea? Dodgy owners are nothing new in this country, but I really hope public pressure puts an end to hedge funds and sheikhs buying community-based clubs and trying to airbrush or rewrite history (red shirts at Cardiff, MK Dons, Hull Tigers etc etc).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

Might hasten the exits of a few of the American owners who were so in favour of the ESL

Doubt it, I'm afraid. The clubs are just columns on a spreadsheet to these American owners, who will simply see the ESL crumbling as a business setback and one to be approached again with a new (or better still, any) strategy.

People burned effigies of the Glazers outside Old Trafford and they didn't care. John Henry doesn't even follow Liverpool or anyone remotely related to them on social media - he won't know who Gary Neville is let alone give a fart what he says on Monday Night Football. Doubt Stan Kroenke has even been to an Arsenal game, let alone give a rats *** what they say on Arsenal Fan TV.