oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Think managing a champions League club is a bigger draw to a non English manager to be honest. You might see someone make that move if they have an affiliation with the nation but I really doubt it for him.

Not if you ask Chris Sutton. Apparently Celtics reserves are a bigger team than Leicester 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Not if you ask Chris Sutton. Apparently Celtics reserves are a bigger team than Leicester 🤦‍♂️

Chris Sutton is special though, very special.

6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Switched the date so it was no longer after the leagues had finished and thus is stopped being as much of an occasion.  The fact that finishing 4th in the Premier League now is seen as being more important than winning something is clearly also a massive factor. 

One of my most cherished memories is of being at Wembley, singing Abide With Me, with about 10 mins until kick off, and about to watch Boro in the cup final.  One of my worst is about 10 mins later when Di Matteo thumped the ball past Ben Roberts right in front of our end 😭 Pretty much encapsulates that whole season 😒

I was there too and I’m pretty sure that the goal came after 42 seconds, we’d barely finished singing along to “Let’s Dance” when our third choice keeper was beaten. 

I always thought of it as a game of 2 Italians, first the goal and then when Ravanelli limped off after 20 minutes, game over, and yes that really did encapsulate the whole season. 

I didn’t video any of it!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Christ alive.

Obviously this is a while ago now and hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that. And to be as fair as you can to him, the point he starts to make about Celtic and Rangers coming into the English leagues is a fair one. I don't think he explains it very well as I think he's coming at it from completely the wrong side of the debate to begin with but I think Celtic and Rangers as clubs would get huge investment in the Premier League to pit them against the top English clubs. Huge investment. The bases are there, the history, the fans, the stadiums, the atmosphere. And importantly (which is where I think he's trying to go with his comments), players and managers would absolutely want to be part of that, people with a lot of money would be fighting amongst themselves to take either of those clubs and make them into big Premier League clubs.

But Celtic reserves bigger than Leicester? Lescott was right, completely childish comment from Sutton. I think he's way off base saying it was all about money too. It's competition. Leicester are ambitious, they won a Prem title after an insane season (both from themselves and from others, in the opposite way) and didn't want that to be the journey over.

Any half-decent manager could walk into Celtic and win trophies, the monopoly they have over the best of the rest is insane up there. What Rodgers did was still special in a way and as a Celtic fan I'm sure he will always be proud of his achievements there... but it also happened whilst Rangers were still finding their feet back at the top level.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Christ alive.

Obviously this is a while ago now and hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that. And to be as fair as you can to him, the point he starts to make about Celtic and Rangers coming into the English leagues is a fair one. I don't think he explains it very well as I think he's coming at it from completely the wrong side of the debate to begin with but I think Celtic and Rangers as clubs would get huge investment in the Premier League to pit them against the top English clubs. Huge investment. The bases are there, the history, the fans, the stadiums, the atmosphere. And importantly (which is where I think he's trying to go with his comments), players and managers would absolutely want to be part of that, people with a lot of money would be fighting amongst themselves to take either of those clubs and make them into big Premier League clubs.

But Celtic reserves bigger than Leicester? Lescott was right, completely childish comment from Sutton. I think he's way off base saying it was all about money too. It's competition. Leicester are ambitious, they won a Prem title after an insane season (both from themselves and from others, in the opposite way) and didn't want that to be the journey over.

Any half-decent manager could walk into Celtic and win trophies, the monopoly they have over the best of the rest is insane up there. What Rodgers did was still special in a way and as a Celtic fan I'm sure he will always be proud of his achievements there... but it also happened whilst Rangers were still finding their feet back at the top level.

The Ranger’s & Celtic to the premier league is always a good debate. I have no doubt they’d do Well for the reasons you listed but it could never happen. For the same reasons we couldn’t have a ESL. If the two Glasgow teams left Scottish football would effectively be another League of Wales but in the north (if you get my meaning)

3 hours ago, Uwe said:

The Ranger’s & Celtic to the premier league is always a good debate. I have no doubt they’d do Well for the reasons you listed but it could never happen. For the same reasons we couldn’t have a ESL. If the two Glasgow teams left Scottish football would effectively be another League of Wales but in the north (if you get my meaning)

Aye, I don't see it happening either mate. The rest of the SPFL would have a fit and rightly so. More just thinking about Sutton's point about the size of the clubs. If they were in the English Prem, I don't think Rodgers would have ever in million years left for Leicester. But they're not, they're in the SPL where success for anyone but the Glasgow clubs would be a huge shock.

i think the scottish league is as close as you can get to a forgone conclusion ,theres two teams fighting for the title , a small gruop of 3 or 4  that can hope for 3rd place and the also rans.  it annoys me massively how much adulation ws given to celtic with thier "treble treble" and the chance of 10 titles in a row.  like i said its a two horse race to begin with, and when you add into that ,the outrageously stern punishment Rangers got  seasons earlier(relegation to the absolute bottom) after thier illegal  off fiels stuff , celtic really had NO opposition at all  to contend with. I MEAN,  NEIL LENNON , has champions honours on his CV, THATS how simple a task it was many of those seasons. 

i think there is a genuine case for celtic and rangers being put up against the elite english premier league clubs in a seperate competition  which to be fair would make both the scottish and english top flights far more competative and even.  

footnote..... during the how terrible was woodgate as a manager debate ,i genuinely thought id never seen a more naive and  out of his depth and clueless example ......but  talking of rangers  during celtics superiority years  i remembered  graeme murty. 

• Like 1

I see all the gammons are kicking off about Alex Scott being announced as the new presenter of Football Focus.

Makes me seriously worry about this country at times when there's uproar that an ex-professional footballer with a degree in journalism and sports presenting gets a job as presenter of a football programme, purely because she happens to be female. And even more sadly because in some people's eyes, it's because she happens to be black.

15 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

i think the scottish league is as close as you can get to a forgone conclusion ,theres two teams fighting for the title , a small gruop of 3 or 4  that can hope for 3rd place and the also rans.  it annoys me massively how much adulation ws given to celtic with thier "treble treble" and the chance of 10 titles in a row.  like i said its a two horse race to begin with, and when you add into that ,the outrageously stern punishment Rangers got  seasons earlier(relegation to the absolute bottom) after thier illegal  off fiels stuff , celtic really had NO opposition at all  to contend with. I MEAN,  NEIL LENNON , has champions honours on his CV, THATS how simple a task it was many of those seasons. 

i think there is a genuine case for celtic and rangers being put up against the elite english premier league clubs in a seperate competition  which to be fair would make both the scottish and english top flights far more competative and even.  

footnote..... during the how terrible was woodgate as a manager debate ,i genuinely thought id never seen a more naive and  out of his depth and clueless example ......but  talking of rangers  during celtics superiority years  i remembered  graeme murty. 

Well we have Welsh clubs competing in the EFL (and the PL in the past), so why not Scottish ones?

Swansea and Cardiff have been competing in English leagues for donkey's years, so its not like there isn't a precedent.

Having Rangers and Celtic in the PL would undoubtedly make the SPL more competitive.

On the flip side, as Wilson said, the SPL would have a fit at the loss of revenue...the fans would also likely have a fit at having to travel south of the border for half their fixtures. The financial implications for Scottish football alone would probably put paid to it ever happening.

9 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I see all the gammons are kicking off about Alex Scott being announced as the new presenter of Football Focus.

Makes me seriously worry about this country at times when there's uproar that an ex-professional footballer with a degree in journalism and sports presenting gets a job as presenter of a football programme, purely because she happens to be female. And even more sadly because in some people's eyes, it's because she happens to be black.

ITS AN OUTRAGE!!!

MORE BBC LEFT-WING POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!!

THIS IS WHAT I PAY MY LICENCE FEE FOR???

It was always going to happen. Sadly there is still that unsavoury element among football supporters.

Can't see past her gender and colour to realise she is actually very knowledgeable and articulate. Better than Karen Carney anyway who seems to have fallen into the trap of over-used cliches.

8 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Very sad indeed. I think that she happens to be a very knowledgeable and talented pundit and will be an excellent presenter. 

12 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well we have Welsh clubs competing in the EFL (and the PL in the past), so why not Scottish ones?

Swansea and Cardiff have been competing in English leagues for donkey's years, so its not like there isn't a precedent.

Having Rangers and Celtic in the PL would undoubtedly make the SPL more competitive.

On the flip side, as Wilson said, the SPL would have a fit at the loss of revenue...the fans would also likely have a fit at having to travel south of the border for half their fixtures. The financial implications for Scottish football alone would probably put paid to it ever happening.

The Welsh clubs started in the English leagues though, they've been there since their beginning as clubs, they didn't leave another league to join.

There's only a League of Wales now, created in 1992, because the Welsh FA was afraid FIFA would ban their national team without a dedicated league, and none of the major Welsh clubs have ever been in it.

There's been a separate Scottish league system since 1890, and Rangers and Celtic have been in it from the start, and are effectively the financial drivers for the whole system given how their fanbases and revenue dwarf the rest of them.

They're not really comparable situations.

9 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The Welsh clubs started in the English leagues though, they've been there since their beginning, they didn't leave another league to join.

There's only a League of Wales now, created in 1992, because the Welsh FA was afraid FIFA would ban their national team without a dedicated league, and none of the major Welsh clubs have ever been in it.

There's been a separate Scottish league system since 1890, and Rangers and Celtic have been in it from the start.

They're not really comparable situations.

Thats kind of what I was getting at with my last paragraph. It would be a huge upheaval to an existing system...therefore unlikely to happen.

You did just given me another thought though. How about we kick Swansea and Cardiff out of the EFL and make them play in the LoW? Then it would be like the SPL with those two clubs always fighting for the silverware. Wonder what their fans would think of that? 😁

But obviously there's nothing preventing a team from another country competing in a league, there are loads of examples of it even outside of the English leagues.

Canadian teams play in the American league.

Berwick Rangers play in the Scottish leagues.

Derry play in the Republic of Ireland's league.

Vaduz plays in the Swiss league.

Monaco plays in the French league.

Andorra's biggest club plays in the Spanish league.

Etc etc.