oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Christ. Imagine losing a playoff final to a falsely awarded penalty. Our 2015 defeat still stings but at least we were well beaten by the better side on the day. VAR is heavily flawed in its current form but moments like that remind you why there were arguments for VAR in the first place.

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
  • Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Christ. Imagine losing a playoff final to a falsely awarded penalty. Our 2015 defeat still stings but at least we were well beaten by the better side on the day. VAR is heavily flawed in its current form but moments like that remind you why there were arguments for VAR in the first place.

He'll be heading back to Norway if the Newport fans get a hold of him.

5 hours ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

It's why I still am absolutely in favour of VAR as it stands. Especially in the biggest games. It isn't perfect by any means but I still look back on moments like Navarro's foul on Viduka in the UEFA Cup Final and wonder what could have been if we'd had VAR around back then. I'm sure throughout history there are injustices that fans of all clubs would look back on and wonder about where the difference between the right and wrong decision could be huge.

This study which was published last year shows the overall positive effect it's had when it's used. It shouldn't really come as a surprise but VAR helps officials make the correct decisions more often. Yeah, if we can't implement it at every domestic level in the EFL, that's fine. But the playoffs should have them involved, if not in the semis then definitely in the finals.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02640414.2020.1809163

• Like 1

Mason Greenwood pulling out of the Euros with an injury that United have seemingly been playing him with since March. Their statement makes it sounds like its more their decision than anybody else's. He'll get his chance again I'm sure but I think that's quite a big miss for the squad.

• Sad 1
29 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Mason Greenwood pulling out of the Euros with an injury that United have seemingly been playing him with since March. Their statement makes it sounds like its more their decision than anybody else's. He'll get his chance again I'm sure but I think that's quite a big miss for the squad.

It's a real shame for the lad, especially if he's been overplayed by Solskjaer, but I'm not sure he'd have got on the pitch given the talent ahead of him.

Plus, he's only 20, and the World Cup is next year (sadly, given who's hosting it), so he'll have plenty of chances to nail down a place. 

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

It's a real shame for the lad, especially if he's been overplayed by Solskjaer, but I'm not sure he'd have got on the pitch given the talent ahead of him.

Plus, he's only 20, and the World Cup is next year (sadly, given who's hosting it), so he'll have plenty of chances to nail down a place. 

I think he would have got on the pitch to be honest, I think he's quite unique in what he provides and not in the Theo Walcott at 16 sense.

Obviously he's still very young and the future is yet to be seen but right now he's not your standard striker, he probably wouldn't be a #9 or a #10 in the England squad but then nor is he a really what you'd consider a really creative winger, he's someone who seems to operate best in wide areas but is still primarily a goal-scorer. He's got a really good finish on him.

Rashford, Kane and Greenwood up top when desperately needing a goal seems like it would have been the best option for England.

6 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Ancelotti it looks like he may be on his way back to Real according to the Daily Star.

Carlos Ancelotti ??? 

he’s coming to Boro with those initials 😉

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Villa sound like they are about to sign Buendia from Norwich, which is a but of a surprise. Since last summer Villa have been very astute in the market. 

A couple more signings and they'll be right up there fighting for Europe next season. What a great job Dean Smith has done there. Plays a lovely brand of football too. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

A couple more signings and they'll be right up there fighting for Europe next season. What a great job Dean Smith has done there. Plays a lovely brand of football too. 

It's impressive especially since their scattergun approach to transfers when they first went up. They brought in a new Technical/Sporting Director (of Football) - or whatever term they use - after that summer. They've then taken a very targeted approach to signings since then; Cash, Martinez and Watkins for example, players to come in and improve the first team and specifically the "weak links".

Obviously at times their lack of depth has hampered them due to this targeted approach, but with a few more clever signings this summer that should even itself out. But I wish we'd taken a similar stance the summer we went up with a bit more of a targeted approach to signings, rather than signed 10/11 players.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

It's impressive especially since their scattergun approach to transfers when they first went up. They brought in a new Technical/Sporting Director (of Football) - or whatever term they use - after that summer. They've then taken a very targeted approach to signings since then; Cash, Martinez and Watkins for example, players to come in and improve the first team and specifically the "weak links".

Obviously at times their lack of depth has hampered them due to this targeted approach, but with a few more clever signings this summer that should even itself out. But I wish we'd taken a similar stance the summer we went up with a bit more of a targeted approach to signings, rather than signed 10/11 players.

I think buendia covers a lot of ground with those weaknesses. They suffered big time with grealish out injured, he can cover that now as well as take some of the defensive focus of the other team off him when they play together. You really can't over estimate how good a signing this is for them

I'm so jealous!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Villa sound like they are about to sign Buendia from Norwich, which is a but of a surprise. Since last summer Villa have been very astute in the market. 

I wouldn’t be happy if I was a Norwich fan though! He’s got three years left on contract, so no immediate need to sell unless they are totally skint. Thought they might be more ambitious this time - you can understand them selling the first time they came up, but they should have a bit more money this time. Have to see if they spend it on reinforcing other areas, but seems as though they are preparing for another relegation.

• Like 1
Just now, ScarBoro said:

I wouldn’t be happy if I was a Norwich fan though! He’s got three years left on contract, so no immediate need to sell unless they are totally skint. Thought they might be more ambitious this time - you can understand them selling the first time they came up, but they should have a bit more money this time. Have to see if they spend it on reinforcing other areas, but seems as though they are preparing for another relegation.

Think they think they can sign Pereira for 15mil from West brom. I don't think there's a huge gap between those two players so that the extra 15mil plus on another area they need to strengthen... I think there's some logic in it 

• Like 1