oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

10 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

To be fair it does sound like the contract situation, which the headline is quoting him from, is not a good situation for someone. Nobody likes being messed about at the end of the day, in any walk of life. Agreeing a contract then backing out is that kind of situation anybody would be annoyed with. You'd be even more annoyed if it wasn't the first time or even first club to have messed you about with a contract.

I do think though that whilst he obviously thinks he still has something to offer, in this situation his comments about not being picked seem a bit silly. He does have to be a bit realistic and see that unfortunately, nobody wants to need a 36 year old outfield player if they're not significantly better than players around them. After all, he's still the one who agreed to go back to Blackburn despite the red flags.

When you get to his age, you're at the stage of your career where you're either doing your coaching badges (if you haven't already) or thinking about life outside of football.

Maybe he could come back to Boro as an academy coach or something?

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

When you get to his age, you're at the stage of your career where you're either doing your coaching badges (if you haven't already) or thinking about life outside of football.

Maybe he could come back to Boro as an academy coach or something?

I think given his comments to Schwarzer about how it ended here, I'd be shocked to see him back any time soon. Pretty sure he said his dad got on the phone to the chairman and it sounded like they had a bit of a barney about broken agreements.

I do think he wants to stay in football though as part of that planned new deal at Boro seemingly involved him being given a chance to develop his coaching skills here.

• Thanks 1

@wilsoncgp agree with everything you said. Just seems to me that he loves to whinge about how each club dealt with him “unprofessionally” upon leaving them.

I have no doubt Boro did probably mess him about in Pulis final yesr but he needs to weigh that off woth how much good our club has done for him over the years, especially the owner who he also slagged off in that Schwarzer interview

In every interview I read of his he seems to give of the vibe of there being a sense of self-entitlement with him. Just my opinion and others might see him differently

41 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

@wilsoncgp agree with everything you said. Just seems to me that he loves to whinge about how each club dealt with him “unprofessionally” upon leaving them.

I have no doubt Boro did probably mess him about in Pulis final yesr but he needs to weigh that off woth how much good our club has done for him over the years, especially the owner who he also slagged off in that Schwarzer interview

In every interview I read of his he seems to give of the vibe of there being a sense of self-entitlement with him. Just my opinion and others might see him differently

Has he whinged about Villa, Liverpool and West Ham like? I'm pretty sure he's spoken about West Ham at least and had nothing but positive things to say about his time there. In comparison with Karanka, he had plenty of good to say about Big Sam too, if I remember rightly.

And in his situation, would you feel aggrieved or would you sit there after over a decade's worth of combined service to a club and think "At least I got that chance"? It's a two way street and it always has been with Downing. When he's been here, he's always worked hard and at least earned the chance to justify us keeping him around. He's never downed tools like Braithwaite did, for example. The season Braithwaite signed, Downing was pushed into the under-23s by Monk, they tried to force him out the club and sell to Birmingham and he worked his way back into the team. That same player got demonised as if he was a catalyst for Karanka's departure, got booed by his own fans and still came back trying to fight for the cause.

It doesn't matter if I'd been in my job for 1 year or 20, if I made agreements with someone to extend a contract and they then backed out when it suited them and left me in the lurch, I'd be pretty bloody annoyed about it. If he wants to talk about that, he has the right and players who are hung out to dry by clubs don't have any reason to shirk talking about it. Especially with the situation here, where he didn't just have a promise made to him, he made a decision to waive a contractual agreement previously made in part so he would have his future worked out. We got what we wanted in the short term and long term and Downing was forced to leave. How can anyone possibly look at that level of unprofessional behaviour by the club and still think Downing's the problem is completely beyond me.

It just seems to be a long term hatchet job continued on from a time when everyone blamed Downing for Karanka nearly leaving the first time and actually leaving eventually. Mixed in with the fact people thought Downing wasn't a good player which for some reason created value judgements of him as a person. People already don't like him and see him in one way so aren't open to the idea that he's in the right. The comment above, "don't get me started" on him, I have to wonder where that comes from when everything Downing says matches up to the absolute shittery we see at the top level of our club every year and especially since Karanka and Orta left.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Sounds like Derby have to resubmit their accounts & if they've breached FFP they'll go down instead of Wycombe. That's huge..

Should have been given a points deduction for the existing breaches. Sounds to me like EFL not got the guts to see they threat through myself and just scare mongering a bit

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Should have been given a points deduction for the existing breaches. Sounds to me like EFL not got the guts to see they threat through myself and just scare mongering a bit

Could well be the case mate. Seems unlikely that the results come in quick enough to actively swap Wycombe & Derby anyway. Doubt they'd get away with swapping them last minute before the season kicks off like.

Publishing 2 separate fixtures lists shows they're serious about wanting Derby's punishment to be for the last season.

I can't see it happening though, there's not enough time left.

All their accounts have to be resubmitted and reviewed and judged against FFP, it's taking them nearly a year to get to this point and the season starts in just over a month.

22 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Publishing 2 separate fixtures lists shows they're serious about wanting Derby's punishment to be for the last season.

I can't see it happening though, there's not enough time left.

All their accounts have to be resubmitted and reviewed and judged against FFP, it's taking them nearly a year to get to this point and the season starts in just over a month.

If the accounts are already there how long time can it take to resubmit them, and then go through them if the EFL actually prioritize it. Hire a decent team for it instead of handing it to a student who has to go through it after a day at school. Surely it can be done relatively quickly.

6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

If the accounts are already there how long time can it take to resubmit them, and then go through them if the EFL actually prioritize it. Hire a decent team for it instead of handing it to a student who has to go through it after a day at school. Surely it can be done relatively quickly.

It's the judgement that I don't think will happen in time.

I think company accounts are often labyrinthine, so it'll take a while to sift through the numbers and make sense of what Derby actually did - and how each year's accounts interrelate over a three-year period.

Sounds like little more than EFL sabre-rattling to me. If I was a Wycombe fan, I'd be spitting feathers over all this. How can you prepare for the season with this going on? (Quite apart from the fact they shouldn't have been relegated over this bunch of cheating gets in the first place).

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Borodane said:

The accounts have to be resubmitted so they aren’t already there if you see what I mean?  Unless there has been some time limit imposed, if you are Derby then you’re hardly going to rush it, are you?  And this can be appealed anyway.

Well the EFL have the option to appeal the decision and it seems with publishing interchangeable fixture lists for Derby & Wycombe, it looks like they are planning for the possibility of Derby being relegated after all.

As others have pointed out though, its all a matter of time...which is rapidly running out.

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

The accounts have to be resubmitted so they aren’t already there if you see what I mean?  Unless there has been some time limit imposed, if you are Derby then you’re hardly going to rush it, are you?  And this can be appealed anyway.

EFL didn't put the time scales into their press release. Derby have till August 18th to submit their new books, which is after the season starts. So the chance of them being relegated this year is 0%

• Like 1
  • Sad 1