oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Just now, pikerman said:

You may very well be right Brunners, my point was that it has derailed a lot of the good things that were going on.

I do agree with you there mate, but having this stuff more visible is a good thing; only way we can start looking to try and fix anything.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I do agree with you there mate, but having this stuff more visible is a good thing; only way we can start looking to try and fix anything.

No disagreement there between us, only the methods to be employed. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, pikerman said:

I do not support 'taking the knee', there I have said it. I worked in the States for a couple of years and was shocked by seeing true racism on a daily basis, the antagonism between black and white was just something I had never come across. The BLM was a radical movement started in response to alleged police brutality and unfairness in the justice system, from the start it was seen by most as an anti American thing built on the former African First, American Second credo. The ideals of the original were quickly taken over by radicals on the left and opposed by radicals on the right, which in essence threw petrol on an already blazing fire. When I saw that BLM had jumped the Atlantic gap I feared the worst and sure enough it was seized on by a radical minority of extremists to further their political aims, call them what you like, marxists, anarchists, communists it does not matter. When the BLM gesture was adopted by footballers, (sometimes along with the raised fist black power salute), then it was only a matter of time before the reaction from the other side of the political divide would begin. When this first started in grounds there is little doubt that the footballers were aligning themselves with the American movement, it is only when the true toxicity of that organisations political aims became better known did the back tracking begin, but for a lot of people that was too late, as the gesture will always be associated with the American organisation. My reason for therefore not supporting the knee thing is that it is totally divisive and takes us away from the aims of creating a fairer society, I think it has already put back race relations here by 20 years and now this little easy going country of ours is looking more like The States every day. Why is it not possible to agree on something that unites and not divides, I just do not get why we are persisting with this thing. There is a faction, even on this forum, who believe that to not agree with 'taking the knee' is akin to heracy and that such individuals must be inherently racist, a nazi or simply too thick to understand. Before the insults start i would like to point out that I am none of these things, my daughter in law and gorgeous grandaughter are black and originate from Guyana. I also work with youth team coaching and a lot of those kids are black and ethnic minorities.

Those are your views, you have every right to them, but would you actively boo players that take the knee or would you understand that they have every right to their views and remain quiet?

Just now, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Those are your views, you have every right to them, but would you actively boo players that take the knee or would you understand that they have every right to their views and remain quiet?

I would never boo players even though I disagree with the gesture, because I believe the majority are doing it for the right reasons, likewise neither would I clap it.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, pikerman said:

I would never boo players even though I disagree with the gesture, because I believe the majority are doing it for the right reasons, likewise neither would I clap it.

That’s what I thought. If only all of the people who didn’t agree with taking the knee were as tolerant as you!

I only boo Warnock, well him and Howson. I suppose there was Pulis before that, and Gestede.  There was a little spell where I booed Karanka, and of course there was Downing for a little while.  I would have booed Ayala but he was too busy pretending to be injured but I did think a lot of boos towards him.  I was going to boo Assombalonga once but how could I with that beautiful smile of his.  I booed Jed Wallace for not signing for us and lumbering us with just Saville, who I also booed just on general principle alone.  Monk got some boos but he was hardly here long enough to hear them.  I booed Victor Valdes but that was only after he gave up on the season and pretended to be injured or whatever it was that was going on.  I never booed de Roon but sometimes if I shouted his name it sounded like a boo.  There was a period between like 2008-2012/13 where I was booing just about everyone though, and I must have sounded like a demented foghorn.  Other than that though I don't really boo.

• Haha 4
19 minutes ago, pikerman said:

Okay I'll bite. What are the "right" reasons

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I only boo Warnock, well him and Howson. I suppose there was Pulis before that, and Gestede.  There was a little spell where I booed Karanka, and of course there was Downing for a little while.  I would have booed Ayala but he was too busy pretending to be injured but I did think a lot of boos towards him.  I was going to boo Assombalonga once but how could I with that beautiful smile of his.  I booed Jed Wallace for not signing for us and lumbering us with just Saville, who I also booed just on general principle alone.  Monk got some boos but he was hardly here long enough to hear them.  I booed Victor Valdes but that was only after he gave up on the season and pretended to be injured or whatever it was that was going on.  I never booed de Roon but sometimes if I shouted his name it sounded like a boo.  There was a period between like 2008-2012/13 where I was booing just about everyone though, and I must have sounded like a demented foghorn.  Other than that though I don't really boo.

That’s a hell of a lot of booze!

I do genuinely believe that the majority of footballers believe that they are highlighting racism within the game, my argument is not against the message, but the method of delivery, as it is divisive. See, if you stop using stars in lieu of swearing, you get an answer

21 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Bet your favourite cartoon as a kid was Yogi Bear 🙂

11 minutes ago, pikerman said:

I do genuinely believe that the majority of footballers believe that they are highlighting racism within the game, my argument is not against the message, but the method of delivery, as it is divisive. See, if you stop using stars in lieu of swearing, you get an answer

So you believe there are some footballers who are genuinely kneeling to show support for an extremist organisation? It's just you said there are right reasons and wrong reasons for taking the knee, that's all. 

Also no idea what your last sentence is referring to?

21 minutes ago, pikerman said:

I do genuinely believe that the majority of footballers believe that they are highlighting racism within the game, my argument is not against the message, but the method of delivery, as it is divisive.

Literally the most inoffensive manner of protest imaginable. But yes, it divides racists from the rest of us.