oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Can't see past Man City tbh. Now they have Grealish and especially if they get Kane, too

I can't see them managing another title season without a proper striker.

If they sign Kane then it's game on, but I think Chelsea are winning the league this year if not.

Looking forward to the race either way.

• Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Think Lukaku could well be the signing that clinches it, I think he makes a bigger difference to Chelsea than Grealish does to City. Tuchel is getting the best out of previous title winners in that squad too, you can usually tell they're onto something good in recent years when they're actually getting a tune out of Marcus Alonso.

12 hours ago, Uwe said:

Roy Keane made a good point about the weight of the pass for Chelsea’s 2nd. And it’s something that’s always irked me. We tend to trickle the ball to each other. Really need to start adding a bit of zip to our passing game 

That's one of my major frustrations watching Boro at the minute. In possession our players don't make runs to receive the ball, creating angles or an opportunity to the man in possession to find a Red shirt. We stand around, static, often completely marked inevitably resulting in us losing possession. We even stand around with two or even three players sometimes in the same area of the pitch and I find myself screaming furiously at them to "move" or make a "run" to give him options and also to draw defenders out of position and opening up the field of play. It's like watching a Ladies Netball team at times. There is little zip, pace or energy when we are attacking apart form Bola and Jones linking up. It was painfully noticeable down the right against Derby when Peltier, Dijksteel and Tav had no understanding of who was supposed to be doing what or where.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Poor scenes from France yesterday. I think Western society in general needs to get a grip and toughen up on offenders rather than trying to Nanny them.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/players-left-bleeding-and-with-strangle-marks-after-nice-v-marseille-carnage-285754

Yep, really feel for Payet because there will be a section of people who blame him and say it's on him to "suck it up" and "ignore it". They'd been pelting him all game and he finally snapped and threw one back and I can't say I blame him.

Says that Nice were awarded the 3 points but I hope that is overturned on appeal. No way they can be allowed to come away from this with the 3 points. I know they were winning & they were willing to play on, but the fact Marseille were expected to actually come back to finish the game in that environment is beyond crazy.

• Like 2

I don't know much about French football, but Marseille had similar issues a fortnight ago against Montpellier. Is there something about that club in particular that attracts the fury of opposing fans, or is French football in general experiencing a hooliganism resurgence?

10 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I don't know much about French football, but Marseille had similar issues a fortnight ago against Montpellier. Is there something about that club in particular that attracts the fury of opposing fans, or is French football in general experiencing a hooliganism resurgence?

So I was reading up on this earlier on reddit; apparently they're basically the most hated club in France (or one of the top 2 or 3). They were caught giving bribes in the 90s and I guess that stink doesn't really wash away, so everyone hates OM even now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Brunners said:

So I was reading up on this earlier on reddit; apparently they're basically the most hated club in France (or one of the top 2 or 3). They were caught giving bribes in the 90s and I guess that stink doesn't really wash away, so everyone hates OM even now.

True, the old Bernard Tapy affair i can remember it. They got a league title stripped from them and relegated I think for bribing their opponents to lose. 

I think Nice and Montpellier are local rivals as well which is partly the reason for the hatred as well. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Duvel said:

True, the old Bernard Tapy affair i can remember it. They got a league title stripped from them and relegated I think for bribing their opponents to lose. 

I think Nice and Montpellier are local rivals as well which is partly the reason for the hatred as well. 

It was a bit before my time, but apparently it's what made Wenger leave France too, because he was so disgusted by it all.

• Wow 1
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Marseille is 123 miles away from Nice and 105 miles away from Montpelier.

Not sure whether that's seen as local in France, but it wouldn't be here.

The Second World War and the Vichy regime forced a National French League where there was only one team from each region invited. This meant a lot of Clubs either merged or disappeared although after the War I think some clubs started up again but obviously at a huge disadvantage.

I also think that there is some economic tie-in with regions and councils locally for the clubs where they contribute financially with smaller clubs from the same area. A bit like us giving money to feed Hartlepool or Darlington and Newcastle doing the same for Sunderland 🙂

This in effect prevents "derbies" from being "local" as in the English sense of the meaning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Marseille is 123 miles away from Nice and 105 miles away from Montpelier.

Not sure whether that's seen as local in France, but it wouldn't be here.

I used to watch a bit of French football and Nice v Marseille was definitely seen as a derby, maybe their definition is different from ours. 

I'm pretty sure Montpellier have a bit of extra hatred for Marseille as well. 

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Poor scenes from France yesterday. I think Western society in general needs to get a grip and toughen up on offenders rather than trying to Nanny them.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/players-left-bleeding-and-with-strangle-marks-after-nice-v-marseille-carnage-285754

Agreed.

These thugs need to start being treated as criminals. If it happened on a public street, I'm sure the police would have no hesitation arresting them.

Seems if you do it in a football stadium, you can get away with it.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Seems if you do it in a football stadium, you can get away with it.

Sadly many feel that if they are in a crowd they can get away with it outside of the Stadium as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens to those ten who were pictured by the Met Police last month after the England/Italy final. A few of them were from Teesside so unfortunately we are just as bad as anywhere else it seems. After the incident with the QPR game outside the Stadium it now seems to be "acceptable" with manyn of the younger generation and a part of the game once again, it's like going back to the 70's.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree that English football is going back to the 70s. We'll never see football special trains or sacking home pubs again - too much CCTV and social media for that, and the police are far more savvy about handling flashpoints nowadays.

I agree incidents are flaring up with increasing prevalence (especially when Sheffield United are involved), but football crowds are far more mixed and cultured than they used to be - plus a lot of troublemakers have been priced out of attending. A few people breaking into Wembley before the Euros final isn't comparable to the mass hooliganism we used to see in pretty much every town every home weekend in the 70s or 80s, while England fans are unrecognisable from the dark days of Charleroi et al.

As for France, they seem to be in a spiral of bad behaviour. It'll be interesting to see what the authorities do to curtail it.