oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

25 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I respectfully disagree that English football is going back to the 70s. We'll never see football special trains or sacking home pubs again - too much CCTV and social media for that, and the police are far more savvy about handling flashpoints nowadays.

I agree incidents are flaring up with increasing prevalence (especially when Sheffield United are involved), but football crowds are far more mixed and cultured than they used to be - plus a lot of troublemakers have been priced out of attending. A few people breaking into Wembley before the Euros final isn't comparable to the mass hooliganism we used to see in pretty much every town every home weekend in the 70s or 80s, while England fans are unrecognisable from the dark days of Charleroi et al.

As for France, they seem to be in a spiral of bad behaviour. It'll be interesting to see what the authorities do to curtail it.

I take your point and I hope that you are right but do you think the gauge is still swinging away from the 70's or edging back in that direction even if only slightly because the way to stop something is to nip it in the bud.

My belief is that civil disorder is increasing with muggings and assaults rising and getting worse with teenagers carrying knives and even Paramedics and the Fire Service are being assaulted trying to do their duty which is something that would never have happened in the 70's.

Football isn't the cause of the ill's of the world but it provides groups to gather of like minded individuals who believe they are untouchable and largely are because the Courts let them off repeatedly. Even the lunatic last week in Plymouth was handed his gun back.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Connor Wickham training with Preston in hope of securing a deal.

I mean he earned very good money at Sunderland and Palace but what a case of unfulfilled potential this lad is.

In other news. Jordan Rhodes out until Xmas with a back injury.

3 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I take your point and I hope that you are right but do you think the gauge is still swinging away from the 70's or edging back in that direction even if only slightly because the way to stop something is to nip it in the bud.

My belief is that civil disorder is increasing with muggings and assaults rising and getting worse with teenagers carrying knives and even Paramedics and the Fire Service are being assaulted trying to do their duty which is something that would never have happened in the 70's.

Football isn't the cause of the ill's of the world but it provides groups to gather of like minded individuals who believe they are untouchable and largely are because the Courts let them off repeatedly. Even the lunatic last week in Plymouth was handed his gun back.

Good points, but equally, I can't imagine things that happened in the Seventies happening nowadays - razor gangs, institutionalised police corruption, the aforementioned football special madness. The world evolves and cultural standards change, but human nature remains largely the same. Some people just love a rammy, sadly, and football has always been (and will always be) a catalyst for aggro.

Are we going back towards the Seventies? Perhaps ten per cent of the way, but I doubt we'll go much further. And we're heading in that direction from an extremely low base of football related disorder, so we have to keep any rise in incidents in proportion

3 hours ago, TLF10 said:

In other news. Jordan Rhodes out until Xmas with a back injury.

Too much time spent lying on his back in the penalty box, perhaps.

• Like 2

Michail Antonio is probably the most deserving of all the uncapped players for an England call up, he's been excellent for 2-3 years now and can't get a sniff.

He's 31 now though, so he's almost certainly playing for Jamaica as he'll not get in ahead of Kane.

It's probably unfair of me but if I'd just come out of a coma and you asked me who was managing West Ham just based on their results over the last two seasons, David Moyes would have been very near the bottom of my list I think. Incredible work done over there.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I was on a golf course with a certain ex player, turned pundit today. He’d been playing golf yesterday with Harry Kane. Kane reckons Levy won’t let him leave Spurs until next season. 

Jamie O'Hara?

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:
20 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I was on a golf course with a certain ex player, turned pundit today. He’d been playing golf yesterday with Harry Kane. Kane reckons Levy won’t let him leave Spurs until next season. 

Jamie O'Hara?

C’mon CT you know it’s rude to ask straight out who it was. 🤦‍♂️

@BillyWoofs_shinpad can you at least say if he’s been mentioned/guessed correctly 😉

• Haha 1