• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Ronaldo should have seen red against Ireland. Punched Dara O’Shea in the head off the ball at the penalty incident. VAR done nothing about it. Great save from Bazuna from the man who should have been sent off before he took it 

What a horrible little winker he is but what a footballer,Brilliant performance from Ireland though. Should have got something out of that game.

2 minutes ago, Leesider said:

What a horrible little winker he is but what a footballer,Brilliant performance from Ireland though. Should have got something out of that game.

Definitely should have. We have a young team who will grow together if given time. Bazuna in goal is only 19 and looks top quality. Idah up front was superb and what a game from Josh Cullen. McGrath looks good too. The future is bright if we show patience 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Old Codger said:

to be honest, I feel a little sorry for them, it is no coincidence that the quality of their players has nosedived since the SPL was formed solely to allow the big four teams to get revenue from the increased number of derbies. Players from teams like Partick and Dundee used to get regular caps because of their ability, now it tends to be that they get caps because they are needed to make up the numbers. Know it will never change back but another case of the greed of the few put before the pleasure of the many   

Scotland has 4 big clubs ? A one horse league and the horse has gone lame.

I think the league will be a bit more open this season, Rangers have started average and didn't really strengthen that much this year. Celtic are a team in transition with a new manager, but they have made some very good signings. Obviously one of them two will probably win it, but there's a couple of other teams who look good this year.

Aberdeen have made some really good signings plus they're free from McInnes (think of Pulis and his time here). Hearts have started really well and I rate Robbie Neilson, they've also made some good signings from England, including Ben Woodburn who I think will do well at that level. Can't rule out Hibs either, they have some very good young players who could play in England easily: Kevin Nisbet, Josh Doig and Ryan Porteous.

14 hours ago, Old Codger said:

I know C. R. dos Santos is an extremely talented footballer but there is always something strangely satisfying seeing his team getting beat. All that skill and his ego gets in the way of his team's needs. Sad in a way ..  probably one of the best of our time, but would never be the best of all time because of his good fortune to play at a time when players get much greater protection than in the past and the ball technology allows his ability to shine. Realise it is one of those debates where everyone has their own opinion but would he have fared so well with a "casey" trying to nutmeg Ron Harris and Norman Hunter..  well maybe the first time...... 

I agree that records cannot be compared like for like across different periods because of varying competitions and standards, numbers of games etc. You can’t write him off though because he was born in a different period to when football was played in different conditions.

It’s all relative and that’s probably the best way to look at it. Pele was the best of his generation, Maradona the best of his, Messi and Ronaldo the best of theirs. Very difficult to directly compare them all. Would be very interesting to know how they would’ve compared in each other’s eras with the same access to facilities, knowledge regarding nutrition/training methods, tactics, technological advances in the game. There’s soo many variables to consider and you could talk them all through for hours. It’s quite fascinating.

Edited by Humpty
  • Like 3