oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Just now, Duvel said:

Its not Gibsons fault that they are in this mess

Well the points deductions they're still facing kind of is Gibsons fault, I don't think the EFL investigate if he doesn't cause a ruckus.

Who knows whether they still end up in admin or not.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

What I will say is that from reading Derby forums it sounds like Wayne Rooney has came across brilliantly through this whole situation, including paying for certain things at the club out of his own pocket.

Really going the extra mile in a difficult situation at his first managerial job.

• Like 2
Just now, TeaCider24 said:

What I will say is that from reading Derby forums it sounds like Wayne Rooney has came across brilliantly through this whole situation, including paying for certain things at the club out of his own pocket.

Really going the extra mile in a difficult situation at his first managerial job.

Nixon claimed earlier that stuff was all "an urban myth", but we know how reliable he is often...

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Its not Gibsons fault that they are in this mess

I don't really get what that's got to do with anything I've said there? Whether Gibson wins or loses his case, he and Boro won't be much better or worse off and neither will Morris. My point is it's not Derby fans' fault but they are the ones who will lose out if they go out of business and have to start over, nobody else. Morris is the biggest problem here and he's going to walk out of this with not a care in the world. In what way is this good for Gibson, MFC or English football?

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

So he wants the court to tell the EFL to enforce their rules? I don't think it works that way, as the traditional court doesn't hold any power over the EFL. Or isn't he sueing them in court?

Not a lawyer, but I would guess it would be a civil, breach of contract case, if they have stated rules and regulations, but then fail to apply them. The court would have power to adjudge this aspect. 

19 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Not yet they aren't, barring a transfer embargo.

Administration is not a punishment for cheating, it's self inflicted damage.

The noises are that a deduction is coming, but those noises have been about for 2 years now and it hasn't happened yet.

If I was a Derby fan I'd want the club to take every punishment they could potentially get this season, and then start next season in League One with a clean slate.

Punishment is perhaps the wrong word but surely they wouldn't have ended up in administration had this investigation not picked up on them making their own rules up on amortisation? Aren't things like that the reason they couldn't get access to COVID support funds? EFL enforcing their rules rather than letting them getting away with it might not be 'punishment' but without it (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think Derby end up in this exact same situation, do they?

4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Nixon claimed earlier that stuff was all "an urban myth", but we know how reliable he is often...

Just going off the Derby forum, apparently Rooney confirmed he'd been paying for certain things in today's interview.

Might just be Chinese whispers.

2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

This has nothing to do with the EFL. This is us suing a club that's already in Administration.

Of course it does. It demonstrates to other clubs that there will be repercussions, if not from the EFL then from the member clubs. It sets a condition precedent.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Just going off the Derby forum, apparently Rooney confirmed he'd been paying for certain things in today's interview.

Might just be Chinese whispers.

Yeah I just read that actually, more inclined to believe that than Nixon!

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Punishment is perhaps the wrong word but surely they wouldn't have ended up in administration had this investigation not picked up on them making their own rules up on amortisation? Aren't things like that the reason they couldn't get access to COVID support funds? EFL enforcing their rules rather than letting them getting away with it might not be 'punishment' but without it (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think Derby end up in this exact same situation, do they?

It sounds like Morris put them in administration as it's the only way he thought he could sell the club.

It's surely deliberate that he only did it when the transfer window was shut too, despite apparently considering it for weeks.

But whether they went in to administration or not, I'd still want them punished for cheating.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

In what way is this good for Gibson, MFC or English football?

Hopefully if owners see that there are punishments both on and off the field it will act as a deterrent. It may also force the EFL to actually universally enforce the agreed upon rules (the EFL have been unfit for purpose so far just look at QPR and Bournemouth).

Both of these are good things for English football.

Having clubs worried about actual punishments may mean they don’t financially overstretch clubs in an attempt to get into the promised land.

This has to be good for fans as we won’t see clubs getting wound up because they owe the Tax man £26m.

Dont think there much in it for Gibson though other than a moral win.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Duvel said:

If Derby went to the wall the only people I'd feel sorry for are the staff at the club, its never nice for anyone to lose their jobs. 

After that I couldn't care less, infact it would be pretty funny after a lot of their fans have seemed to celebrate getting one over Gibson until recently. I've got no sympathy for those fans who were happy to cheat. 

Would it actually be the end of the world as a fan if they went bust anyway? I'm sure the fans would start a new phoenix club, it took Wimbledon 9 years to get back to the league as a new club and I'm sure that would be just as exciting as treading water in league 1 and the Championship for the next decade. Id say the same if we were in their position as well. 

Are you taking the ***?  We were in their position once, and it came close to us ending without a football club at all.  A bit before my time as a fan but not various relatives of mine.  I'm amazed that any Boro fan would have that attitude.    

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Brunners said:

Surely the precedent that is set is that "if you're found to be cheating, those you cheated can sue you" not entirely sure how dangerous or not that is really.

What if you miss out on a play off place because someone dives for a penalty?  Can we sue them for cheating?  We missed out on the play offs because over the course of a season we just weren't good enough.  Like it not, and I'm sure Gibson doesn't like it, that's more to do with our mistakes than anyone else's.  The EFL will take action against Derby for the breach of FFP that has now been admitted by Mel Morris.  I think it could be difficult for them to implement it right now because they'd have to deal with administrators rather than an owner of a football club.  However, I think it will be done before this season has finished one way or another so as to get it done with.  My guess is that the EFL will speak to a prospective buyer and explain what is likely to happen so that they understand it before they complete the purchase.

1 hour ago, MMC said:

Hard disagree but it's like arguing whether you'd prefer to have a heart attack or a stroke. The one thing I will say is we've never put out 4 CBs 5 DMs and a lone striker under Warnock as yet.

Agree about the comparison for sure 😂

2 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Hopefully if owners see that there are punishments both on and off the field it will act as a deterrent. It may also force the EFL to actually universally enforce the agreed upon rules (the EFL have been unfit for purpose so far just look at QPR and Bournemouth).

Both of these are good things for English football.

Having clubs worried about actual punishments may mean they don’t financially overstretch clubs in an attempt to get into the promised land.

This has to be good for fans as we won’t see clubs getting wound up because they owe the Tax man £26m.

Dont think there much in it for Gibson though other than a moral win.

I'm not incredibly savvy on this situation as already seen above perhaps so please correct me if I'm wrong on any assumptions but...

This case mentioned in the Telegraph, it isn't about the EFL against Derby or Middlesbrough against the EFL is it? This is Middlesbrough against Derby or Gibson against Derby. The EFL are still in the process of deciding the punishments for them based on the cheating they've done and whilst yes it has taken a while and is still ongoing, they are still seemingly getting there.

But Gibson challenging Derby is surely an attempt to prove them damaging us, correct? What have they actually done to damage us that could be realistically proven? Signing a striker ahead of us? Signing a centre-back on loan? If they've done the dodgy with their finances to sign players then the EFL needs to punish them obviously but what exactly have they done to us? I understand if this is just meant to be further pressure on the EFL to go through with their punishments but what do we want from them?

This case doesn't seem to be about us proving Derby have been financially swindling, it seems to be about Derby's direct damages to us and I just can't see what on Earth that is meant to be. But I'll clarify again, maybe I'm misreading this situation so if anyone wants to set me right, please do!