• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Brunners said:

They likely don't need to fudge it, because "human rights" don't actually feature in the fit and proper owners test, believe it or not.

I don't think it is, or would be included as Human rights is not a clear cut straight base line and can subjective. 

Take for instance how many sentenced criminals have had deportation canceled from the UK for infringement on their basic human right.  

41 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I don't think it is, or would be included as Human rights is not a clear cut straight base line and can subjective. 

Take for instance how many sentenced criminals have had deportation canceled from the UK for infringement on their basic human right.  

What Saudi Arabia partakes in is a pretty clear cut breach of Human Rights...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

They are a Monarchy as such, as are many around the world. This as many gulf states stem from its religious and tribal heritage. They are of course either Sunny or Shi'ite which of course is why the Gulf has experienced so much conflict. Basically, religious wars  Each, both or either align and keep the tribal and religious connections by inter marriages there by remain in power and maintain the wealth. A lot like our history don't you think. 

Except it is actually history for us, while it is very much present-day and probably foreseeable future in Saudi Arabia. We've moved on and become a democracy, while they haven't.

17 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I actually met the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia in Dublin in 2003. I found him to be a very polite and pleasant young man at the time.

Hahahah looks like a limmy reference but I’m almost entirely sure it’s not

• Haha 2
37 minutes ago, Brunners said:

What Saudi Arabia partakes in is a pretty clear cut breach of Human Rights...

I kind of get what Sanddancer is saying. I don't know if there are any laws you can invoke to blanket-ban people or companies from owning assets, just by virtue of their nationality (i.e. coming from a country whose laws / practices aren't compatible with ours).

But I would certainly say a fit and proper ownership test should include checks to determine if they have directly (or even indirectly) been involved in questionable practices. Especially human right-related ones...

In this instance, it is strongly believed the Crown Prince directly ordered the killing of Jamal Khashoggi. They don't have him "bang to rights" as it were, but all available evidence points to him. 

Something like that should definitely rule out them being able to own assets in this country. Or at least it would if it were up to me.

28 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I actually met the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia in Dublin in 2003. I found him to be a very polite and pleasant young man at the time.

I imagine he's a perfectly nice bloke after 10 pints of Guinness and all the bacon and cabbage he could eat. 😁

Pretty sure you're paraphrasing a certain leader when they met a certain soon-to-be dictator. Or is it Dumbledore talking about his first meeting with Tom Riddle?

Edited by AnglianRed
7 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Should we even ask how that happened? 🤴

5 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Yeah we'll just ignore the massive human rights issues and murderous regime, as long as we can attract better footballers eh

If they'd sack Warnock straight away it might just swing it for me 🤔

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Except it is actually history for us, while it is very much present-day and probably foreseeable future in Saudi Arabia. We've moved on and become a democracy, while they haven't.

Not yet but thats not to say they wont. 

Not every where is a democracy nor does it have to be on the same platform as the UK, (look at Scotland as an example, they don't like it). I would question the balance of democracy if handing power to the EU? 

Look at Dubai, Abu Dhabi and the rest of the emirates +30 years ago, now have some of the best drinking holes in the world frequented by many celebrities. Women dress as they wish, drive cars, own property and promoted to leaders, senior governmental roles. 

Saudi is in the process of building huge holiday resort's, hence the recent demotions and incarceration of some its leaders. This included radical religious leaders and corrupt officials and family and military leaders. Now what  corruption means il will leave open to interpretation.   

The point being they have started to adapt, modernise but there are fractions that still want to remain faithful to the Quran (bible to us) call them ignorant if you will but and there could be some objections, even anxiety, to the new world order even uprisings, but its in progress. 

The point being Saudi is changing, to what and how long it takes is questionable, but it's in transition.