oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Actually FIFA copped a lot of flak for choosing Qatar to host the next World Cup, due to their poor human rights record. It was reported in the national news how badly they treated the (mostly) migrant workforce and the numbers that died during construction of the stadiums and infrastructure.

Maybe it's just me who struggles with the hypocrisy of protests from various FA's and Footballers about human rights and slavery yet are very clearly happy to play in a Tournament literally steeped in blood and in a Country openly practicing the Kafala system here and now and yet it's all supposed to be conveniently ignored or at least not talked about.

https://travellingjezebel.com/qatar-world-cup-deaths-slave-labour-in-the-fifa-world-cup-2022/#:~:text= Exposing Slavery in Qatar – Qatar World,earlier%2C said that what is even... More

• Like 2
  • Replies 34.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Maybe it's just me who struggles with the hypocrisy of protests from various FA's and Footballers about human rights and slavery yet are very clearly happy to play in a Tournament literally steeped in blood and in a Country openly practicing the Kafala system here and now and yet it's all supposed to be conveniently ignored or at least not talked about.

https://travellingjezebel.com/qatar-world-cup-deaths-slave-labour-in-the-fifa-world-cup-2022/#:~:text= Exposing Slavery in Qatar – Qatar World,earlier%2C said that what is even... More

I think first you need a clear understanding of what a sponsor is held accountable for and why.I was sponsored in many countries I worked all across Asia for good reason.

10 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I think first you need a clear understanding of what a sponsor is held accountable for and why.I was sponsored in many countries I worked all across Asia for good reason.

England vs Hungary.

Highlight of the first half was the lazy left that copper took to the mush from a Hungarian fan just before the police ran away batons in hand.

2 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

England vs Hungary.

Highlight of the first half was the lazy left that copper took to the mush from a Hungarian fan just before the police ran away batons in hand.

It’s a long time since I have seen police in the UK use batons. Mind it was hardly affective and the retreat unceremoniously embarrassing. 

• Haha 1

See GS has done his predicable freezing and brain farting. England don’t look so good against a bit of opposition. Takes Girlish off, leaves on Keane who has been a passenger while Sterling chased pidgins around the pitch.  

Edited by sanddancer
9 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

See GS has done his predicable freezing and brain farting. England don’t look so good against a bit of opposition. Takes Girlish off, leaves on Keane who has been a passenger while Sterling chased pidgins around the pitch.  

Yeh it was a shocking decision just to keep his favourites on must be frustrating that for grealish he was hands down our best forward player. I honestly don't see why Saka seems to be the man he turns to over several imo better options. I've never really seen him do anything effective for England and he's hardly setting the world alight at arsenal. Might be harsh I know he's young but I don't think he's good enough for a top national team atm probably should be in u21s.

18 minutes ago, Aphex_Boro said:

Supporting Boro and Northern Ireland really does take it's toll on a man.

That red card was hilarious. You could see he forgot that he'd booked him then was like oh bugger when he had to reach for the red in 36th minute for taking too long over the throw 

Well that was a very uneventful waste of time, well apart from the handbags. So as we leave GS to go away and look at it, his famous line not mine, we now need 4 points from two games to ensure qualification.  

17 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

That red card was hilarious. You could see he forgot that he'd booked him then was like oh bugger when he had to reach for the red in 36th minute for taking too long over the throw 

I didn't find it quite as funny but aye he either completely forget or had a massive bet on over 0.5 reds

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, sanddancer said:

What has Sponsorship got to do with slavery? I've worked in Dammam, Riyadh, Dubai, Kazakhstan and Hong Kong, it can be fudged all you like but a white westerner isn't a slave in these parts of the world nor are they treated like slaves.

10 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

What has Sponsorship got to do with slavery? I've worked in Dammam, Riyadh, Dubai, Kazakhstan and Hong Kong, it can be fudged all you like but a white westerner isn't a slave in these parts of the world nor are they treated like slaves.

Then you would know better then most the term Kafala system actually refers to sponsorship and sponsorship is used by countries and companies across the world including banks. Not are all are equal and used by unscrupulous individuals for self gain but the it also holds the sponsors to account while offering rights to employees. Is it abused, yes, but again as you would know this is generally down to exploitation from nationals exploiting there own nationals mainly Asians from certain known countries for profit. 

I am not advocating its perfect, but let’s face it there is no perfect world and standards differ around the globe, but I do agree and support there must be far greater accountability from countries the workers are deployed from.

If countries ban travel for employment to these countries it would soon have a huge impact on the host economy and force rapid change. They won’t ban or demand change because of the standards in there own country and the embedded exploitation and corruption within. 
If these countries don’t protest and oppose the exploitation of there own nationals then I can’t see how the demand for change can be wholly supported other then verbal protest by outside groups and or countries. 

Edited by sanddancer