oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

14 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Maybe it's just me who struggles with the hypocrisy of protests from various FA's and Footballers about human rights and slavery yet are very clearly happy to play in a Tournament literally steeped in blood and in a Country openly practicing the Kafala system here and now and yet it's all supposed to be conveniently ignored or at least not talked about.

https://travellingjezebel.com/qatar-world-cup-deaths-slave-labour-in-the-fifa-world-cup-2022/#:~:text= Exposing Slavery in Qatar – Qatar World,earlier%2C said that what is even... More

Same thing with Formula 1.

They like to preach tolerance, inclusivity and their anti-racism stance, yet race in countries like Hungary, Turkey, China, Russia and Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Short memories..

Indeed.

If they think Southgate is a clown, it doesn't say much for the last several England managers, going all the way back to Terry Venables.

Probably posted by some kid who doesn't know any better.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Indeed.

If they think Southgate is a clown, it doesn't say much for the last several England managers, going all the way back to Terry Venables.

Probably posted by some kid who doesn't know any better.

It’s actually a birthday card BUT I believe there is a choice of images to choose from. Probably to suit who is in the media at any given time, lets face it though, GS is not everyone’s cup of tea.
On that note talking about past managers I don’t think any can claim to have had access to such as big a squad of talented players as GS does today. The issue with GS is his tactics, loyalty and substitutions. The one thing in his favour is his honesty and strength to admit its not worked and application to continues improvement.     

It will be argued his record is favourable due to the groups and teams dawn and to a point I would agree, but the argument could be made you have to beat what’s in front of you, which he has. Many judge him on his tactics but more on his application during the Euro or WC and again I would tend to agree he fell into what has been witnessed with past managers, preventing a lose rather then going for the win. Italy was for me the most revealing of his inner fear. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Then you would know better then most the term Kafala system actually refers to sponsorship and sponsorship is used by countries and companies across the world including banks. Not are all are equal and used by unscrupulous individuals for self gain but the it also holds the sponsors to account while offering rights to employees. Is it abused, yes, but again as you would know this is generally down to exploitation from nationals exploiting there own nationals mainly Asians from certain known countries for profit. 

I am not advocating its perfect, but let’s face it there is no perfect world and standards differ around the globe, but I do agree and support there must be far greater accountability from countries the workers are deployed from.

If countries ban travel for employment to these countries it would soon have a huge impact on the host economy and force rapid change. They won’t ban or demand change because of the standards in there own country and the embedded exploitation and corruption within. 
If these countries don’t protest and oppose the exploitation of there own nationals then I can’t see how the demand for change can be wholly supported other then verbal protest by outside groups and or countries. 

We both know what Kafala is really used for and no amount of spin or laundering justifies it in any way shape or form.

Young African girls are literally sold and enslaved,  regularly beaten and abused because they have no recourse to justice and no means of escape. That is light years away from a sponsored employee in a world bank. 

Blaming 3rd world countries corruption and poverty in allowing their people to go there is simply obfuscating the reality of these heinous acts. They get away with it because they can as the laws and behavioural norms in their society both accepts and encourages it. Put simply the lives of these young girls are worthless and meaningless and their lives quite literally don't matter.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

We both know what Kafala is really used for and no amount of spin or laundering justifies it in any way shape or form.

Young African girls are literally sold and enslaved,  regularly beaten and abused because they have no recourse to justice and no means of escape. That is light years away from a sponsored employee in a world bank. 

Blaming 3rd world countries corruption and poverty in allowing their people to go there is simply obfuscating the reality of these heinous acts. They get away with it because they can as the laws and behavioural norms in their society both accepts and encourages it. Put simply the lives of these young girls are worthless and meaningless and their lives quite literally don't matter.

I think we are worlds apart and I believe the subject you are now referring has shifted from the original discussed. 
I was referring to the terminology and translation to Sponsor. 
On the subject of accountability then I hold any country to account that allows its subjects to knowingly be abused, developed, developing or 3rd world and to suggest ignorance is absolves responsibility is some what obtuse.  

Edited by sanddancer
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Exploiting desperate people is heinous indeed.

Even more so given that the wealth of the Gulf states would (or should) enable them to be decent, responsible employers.

My dad had some experience of working in Saudi and Bahrain and he told me that the attitudes of Saudis and Bahrainis towards migrant workers (especially ones working in unskilled jobs) was appalling.

My dad was more fortunate in that, being an experienced orthopaedic surgeon (and therefore a skilled worker) he got treated better than most. But he still had to put up with a fair amount of crap. Basically they said jump and he had to ask how high. But at least he got well paid for it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Exploiting desperate people is heinous indeed.

Even more so given that the wealth of the Gulf states would (or should) enable them to be decent, responsible employers.

My dad had some experience of working in Saudi and Bahrain and he told me that the attitudes of Saudis and Bahrainis towards migrant workers (especially ones working in unskilled jobs) was appalling.

My dad was more fortunate in that, being an experienced orthopaedic surgeon (and therefore a skilled worker) he got treated better than most. But he still had to put up with a fair amount of crap. Basically they said jump and he had to ask how high. But at least he got well paid for it.

The two counties you refer are disliked by expats and locals alike for being ignorant, arrogant, conceited and devoid of empathy. Some of this is contributed to the restrictive environment they are exposed particularly from the radicalised Mullah . In the UAE the sermons and content are and have been censored for sometime. 

Edited by sanddancer
3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

People can criticise Southgate for his cautious playing style all they want but he is the only other England manager in history to lead us to a major final, what does that tell you?

Sir Alf Ramsy, he won it? 
GS has 64.4% over 59 games? 
Sam Allardyce is the only manager with a 100% record? 

Edited by sanddancer
18 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

image.png.94260209992a173b185862aabc1dea97.png

think I've found where the guy that did the Ronaldo statue began his career...    also noticed another small error in the design..  (no prizes)

George Best 😂 an English player 🤣

• Haha 2