• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

He could be dangerous if they added another ten players that were on the same level as Son. If you look at the last twenty years, they have won the League Cup once, yet they still get called a big club. Like most businesses, they are more content with a fairly decent balance sheet and the money it would take to make them serious title challengers would make our eyes water. Their best player wants away ..  Son is knocking on thirty and they are the only two that would get into the side at any other big club. If he gets them into Champions League then he will have done his job, but if Spurs weren't in London, would we be rating them as being above Villa or Everton?. Obviously just my own opinion, but I can name another side that has won the League Cup and lost in a European Final this century and that to me is bigger than anything they have done. 

• Like 3

i agree with the previous post about spurs theyve completely imploded and arent adressing thier weaknesses, the kane situation pre season hasnt helped but theres some serious problems with individual performances there. dele alli is barely a 3/10 each game, dier is basically an anagram , and they still have soft under-performing high payed foreigners nancying around in midfield , i thought Lamela was the worst of the bunch but lo celso isnt any better and operates in the same mode. 

2 hours ago, Old Codger said:

He could be dangerous if they added another ten players that were on the same level as Son. If you look at the last twenty years, they have won the League Cup once, yet they still get called a big club. Like most businesses, they are more content with a fairly decent balance sheet and the money it would take to make them serious title challengers would make our eyes water. Their best player wants away ..  Son is knocking on thirty and they are the only two that would get into the side at any other big club. If he gets them into Champions League then he will have done his job, but if Spurs weren't in London, would we be rating them as being above Villa or Everton?. Obviously just my own opinion, but I can name another side that has won the League Cup and lost in a European Final this century and that to me is bigger than anything they have done. 

Yeah I don't think Conte takes that job unless he's backed, and that squad needs a massive overhaul and Levy knows it. I think there are still some really strong players in that squad though, if utilized properly:

Son
Kane (for however long he has him)
Cristian Romero (great signing)
Emerson and Reguillon are good attacking wingbacks who could thrive under Conte
Bryan Gil is very highly rated and only young
Højbjerg is a quality midfielder and has come on leaps and bounds the past few years
Ndombele is good but no manager seems capable of getting a tune out of him, if anyone can it's conte (or he'll be shipped out asap)
Skipp and Sessegnon are highly rated youngsters
Lo Celso (Betis are my spanish team and I know how good he can be)
Bergwijn has a lot to prove

Obviously they're miles off the likes of City and Liverpool, but if any manager is capable of taking that squad to another level then it's Antonio Conte. Most likely though it'll end in disaster when Levy doesn't back him

Can't understand after the job he's done why he'd want to leave Hartlepool to drop back down a level, to be honest. Finally back in the Football League, started really well and he wants to take a job further down the pyramid again.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Can't understand after the job he's done why he'd want to leave Hartlepool to drop back down a level, to be honest. Finally back in the Football League, started really well and he wants to take a job further down the pyramid again.

Hartlepool are skint, he wants new players and has been told there's no funds available

18 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Hartlepool are skint, he wants new players and has been told there's no funds available

You'd think he'd have known that when he signed his new 3-year deal in September, no?

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

You'd think he'd have known that when he signed his new 3-year deal in September, no?

Could be he was offered a lot more money. Management at that level isn't like prem/championship where you'll earn a fortune wherever you go.

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Could be he was offered a lot more money. Management at that level isn't like prem/championship where you'll earn a fortune wherever you go.

Are Stockport a significantly richer club than Hartlepool? I'd expect them to be competitive and you're right, that financial competency at those levels shouldn't be forgotten. I just read the average League 2 manager's salary was ~£80k p/a with a lowest offering of ~ £45k p/a so it still perhaps shows football in a level above your average UK salary though.

But I guess it's whether it's going to be significant enough for him to essentially take that jump, to drop down a division and have to work his way back up again. Financial improvement is one thing, stature is another and at that level, to already be doing a decent job at League Two level is surely not something to throw away so easily.

21 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Are Stockport a significantly richer club than Hartlepool? I'd expect them to be competitive and you're right, that financial competency at those levels shouldn't be forgotten. I just read the average League 2 manager's salary was ~£80k p/a with a lowest offering of ~ £45k p/a so it still perhaps shows football in a level above your average UK salary though.

But I guess it's whether it's going to be significant enough for him to essentially take that jump, to drop down a division and have to work his way back up again. Financial improvement is one thing, stature is another and at that level, to already be doing a decent job at League Two level is surely not something to throw away so easily.

Maybe not, but you also know that management is an extremely volatile profession and although things are going well for him now, he could be out of a job in 6 months time, and depending on what has happening his employability could take a major hit.

As an example, if he's on the lowest of 45k and he's offered double that for 3 years guaranteed, can he really afford to turn that down given how much things change in football from week to week? He probably would have liked to have continued where he was but he has his family and financial stability to think about, moreso than people at the higher end of the football pyramid. 

• Like 1