oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Did anyone else find the Premier League's displays for LGBT inclusion this weekend a bit tasteless in light of the recent Saudi takeover? Can't really claim to be inclusive on the one hand then accept bags of money from a country that makes it illegal to be gay on the other. Felt cheap and hypocritical... To me anyway. 

Almost hope Newcastle stay up. Watching them buy the Championship will be grim. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Did anyone else find the Premier League's displays for LGBT inclusion this weekend a bit tasteless in light of the recent Saudi takeover? Can't really claim to be inclusive on the one hand then accept bags of money from a country that makes it illegal to be gay on the other. Felt cheap and hypocritical... To me anyway. 

From the Premier League's public stance, the Saudi state have nothing to do with Newcastle. So in keeping with their public image, not really?

I agree it's a load of trash. How you can accept something as being disconnected given the people involved is beyond me. But that's their case and will continue to be their case. They don't really give a toss.

• Like 2

Their is obviously no connection between the owners of Newcastle and the Saudi leadership - it was a happy coincidence that the BEIN ban was lifted at just the right time for the premier league to approve the takeover. 

It’s obvious the group has no connection with the government.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Their is obviously no connection between the owners of Newcastle and the Saudi leadership - it was a happy coincidence that the BEIN ban was lifted at just the right time for the premier league to approve the takeover. 

It’s obvious the group has no connection with the government.

and don't worry, despite the crown prince being the chairman of PIF, they pinky promised that he doesn't have any control over Newcastle.

• Haha 3

Will never happen but I'd much rather they just admitted it for what it was, instead of treating everyone like morons who can't see what's in front of their faces. Would even respect the honesty. I'll write it for them... 

"Yeah, we're owned by Saudi Arabia and we can all sleep at night despite that fact. So can the Premier League. We think the investment is worth taking even if we lose a small number of fans, respect in the football community, and upset minority groups in the process. The vast majority of our fans support (or are at least neutral to) this position."

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

and don't worry, despite the crown prince being the chairman of PIF, they pinky promised that he doesn't have any control over Newcastle.

The barefaced hypocrisy is quite breathtaking. Its like they really don't believe people will be able to see through what is pretty much a paper-thin sham.

Or maybe they're just banking on the fans not caring... 🤷‍♂️

Its stuff like this and the proposed European Super League that almost make me apathetic about getting in the PL.

I mean it'll be great getting to play the top teams again...its just being part of such a morally bankrupt organisation that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

It was illegal to be gay in this country not that long ago.  Possibly something worth considering while we lecture others about right and wrong?  1967 when it was decriminalised I think?  Some people on here would have been supporting Boro for longer than that.  The world doesn't doesn't move at the same pace so you've got to try and make changes incrementally.  Maybe this will help facilitate some change over there in time, you never know but it's important to remember that this is about religion, not politics.

5 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Will never happen but I'd much rather they just admitted it for what it was, instead of treating everyone like morons who can't see what's in front of their faces. Would even respect the honesty. I'll write it for them... 

"Yeah, we're owned by Saudi Arabia and we can all sleep at night despite that fact. So can the Premier League. We think the investment is worth taking even if we lose a small number of fans, respect in the football community, and upset minority groups in the process. The vast majority of our fans support (or are at least neutral to) this position."

Aren't minority groups the worst though 🤦‍♂️ They spoil everybody's fun 👎

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It was illegal to be gay in this country not that long ago.  Possibly something worth considering while we lecture others about right and wrong?  1967 when it was decriminalised I think?  Some people on here would have been supporting Boro for longer than that.  The world doesn't doesn't move at the same pace so you've got to try and make changes incrementally.  Maybe this will help facilitate some change over there in time, you never know but it's important to remember that this is about religion, not politics.

This is all true, but one difference is that we all have access to infinitely more information than we did 60 years ago, when the word of politicians was still supreme and public information was limited to libraries, the Encyclopedia Britannica and your newspaper of choice.

A century ago, cocaine used to be prescribed by pharmacists, but we know better now. The Saudis should know better about homosexuality by this stage in human evolution and technological progress, but for arcane religious reasons, they'd rather execute people than let them love who they want. That's not moving at a different pace - that's wilfully ignorant barbarism.

I agree with @AnglianRed about the PL. It'd be nice to tweak the tail of the mighty every now and again, but I'd happily live the rest of my life without the rancid egotism and naked greed of top flight football.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Aren't minority groups the worst though 🤦‍♂️ They spoil everybody's fun 👎

Think you're in the minority there...

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

This is all true, but one difference is that we all have access to infinitely more information than we did 60 years ago, when the word of politicians was still supreme and public information was limited to libraries, the Encyclopedia Britannica and your newspaper of choice.

A century ago, cocaine used to be prescribed by pharmacists, but we know better now. The Saudis should know better about homosexuality by this stage in human evolution and technological progress, but for arcane religious reasons, they'd rather execute people than let them love who they want. That's not moving at a different pace - that's wilfully ignorant barbarism.

I agree with @AnglianRed about the PL. It'd be nice to tweak the tail of the mighty every now and again, but I'd happily live the rest of my life without the rancid egotism and naked greed of top flight football.

I'm not sure how relevant having access to information is quite honestly. What information do you think would change people's minds about homosexuality?  Is there any that could suddenly take someone from 'I hate it' to 'I think it's fine'?  I'm not so sure?  There's plenty of people in this country who don't like homosexuality, and as I said, it wasn't that long ago that it was illegal here.  As I also said, it is a religious thing.  Even in this country it was essentially illegal because the dominant religion here held that it was wrong.  The difference isn't that we are more enlightened, I think it's just that we are less religious, and this secularism, especially in newer generations, is what is removing the stigma attached to homosexuality.  I don't believe it is ignorance and it's too easy to label it as such.  They know exactly why they believe what they do. 

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not sure how relevant having access to information is quite honestly. What information do you think would change people's minds about homosexuality?  Is there any that could suddenly take someone from 'I hate it' to 'I think it's fine'?  I'm not so sure?  There's plenty of people in this country who don't like homosexuality, and as I said, it wasn't that long ago that it was illegal here.  As I also said, it is a religious thing.  Even in this country it was essentially illegal because the dominant religion here held that it was wrong.  The difference isn't that we are more enlightened, I think it's just that we are less religious, and this secularism, especially in newer generations, is what is removing the stigma attached to homosexuality.  I don't believe it is ignorance and it's too easy to label it as such.  They know exactly why they believe what they do. 

What information would make people change their minds? How about gay role models, who have public platforms to share their stories and lifestyles which were unavailable in the 1960s? How about incontrovertible scientific evidence that old assumptions about homosexuality (it's a perversion, it can be cured, etc) were wrong, making it easy to debunk those inaccurate old stereotypes? How about evidence of the damage homophobia can cause on both a personal and societal level?

You're right that religion plays a big part in these matters, but ignorance is a bigger problem. Nobody had the internet when homosexuality was outlawed in the UK, or a thousand public platforms for debating right and wrong with people from all over the world. Every nation's citizens lived in relative ignorance, largely believing what they were told by their elders and betters. The Saudis still have to, because their internet is censored centrally. If they could access the same panoply of information we can, I suspect the majority would at least question or even soften their attitudes towards same-sex relationships, even if their religion will always prevent them embracing it. Instead, the Saudis are only allowed to access content their government has approved. Their government disapproves of homosexuality, so that's the only version of the truth people get to see. Lack of information = lack of knowledge = lack of tolerance.

Apologies to the mods: I know we're way off topic here.

• Like 1