oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I presume it must be something about modern day Newcastle then? That'll be interesting, watching Eddie Howe have a tantrum because Mbappe won't return his calls about the pre-contract agreement on the table.

Ha ha, yes it’s modern day, but I’ve probably already said too much👀

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Good to see you posting again, how are things at home for you and the family atm?

Thanks DS, I can’t say it’s been easy, I’ve just been trying to keep myself as busy as possible. It’s only been 6 months but I feel I’ve turned a bit of a corner, so I ought to post a bit more. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
2 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think a lot will depend on how far adrift they are come January.

Newcastle’s remaining fixtures this year are: 

Burnley

Leicester

Liverpool

Man City

Man Utd

Everton

If they finish the year needing to catch up double figures it may prove too much for them. I think there league position will have some impact on their ability to attract players.

I have also heard it mentioned that the January budget will be £50m so they may not go on the big spending spree people expect.

That said Ramsey and Lingard on loan and Phil Jones for the back wouldn’t surprise me.

Obviously some tough ones but it's the fact the teams around them aren't doing a great deal much either that's why things aren't looking too bad for them right now. Norwich and Burnley in particular, how much are those 2 teams going to improve? Dean Smith coming in is a bit of a wildcard, I guess. Burnley have been pretty much the same team for about 5 years now though and I can't see them spending a great deal to improve their situation, they'll try and rough it out as per usual. Watford are going to go through another 3 managers before season end and still might not make it. Leeds and Southampton should be too good for the drop but we'll see.

Indeed, there's multiple ways they could go about improving for less output. Take on a significant chunk of wages in the short term and they could bring in some quality players, offer a decent loan fee on top and they could push the boat out for players who clubs might not think about loaning out. Agree to purchase if they survive for a decent fee too. Ramsey, Lingard, Alli are potentials for midfield though they probably need a bit more steel. Defensively I don't rate Jones but he could still be an improvement on what they have.

16 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

That said Ramsey and Lingard on loan and Phil Jones for the back wouldn’t surprise me.

They're gonna need a hell of a lot more than pap like Phil Jones and Lingard to keep that shower of *** up.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

They're gonna need a hell of a lot more than pap like Phil Jones and Lingard to keep that shower of *** up.

-Have you seen the players at the other relegation candidates. They're terrible and someone like Lingard is head and shoulders above any of those. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

-Have you seen the players at the other relegation candidates. They're terrible and someone like Lingard is head and shoulders above any of those. 

3 behind the striker, Lingard, Saint-Maximin and... Ryan Fraser... okay, maybe replace him too. And they should be sound in that area. If Howe wants to play that set-up, I know he's currently playing 4-4-2 in which case I'm not entirely sure Lingard is the best for them unless he plays just off a striker. But he was quality at West Ham last season.

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's the teams above Norwich and Burnley that need to improve, Newcastle still go down if they finish 18th.

I'm fine with Burnley going down, I just want Newcastle to go down above all else.

I suppose Football is all about entertainment and watching Newcastle go down could be the funniest moment in football since this:

steven gerrard GIF

But from a Middlesbrough standpoint I'd be wanting the teams that come down with the least chance of threatening for promotion, Newcastle would probably destroy the Championship next season...

43 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Aye, story on Derbys struggles in the Mail. Anyone have an idea how realistic an outcome liquidation is?

I don't believe HMRC are particularly lenient with football clubs, so I'd say there's a good chance..

38 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Aye, story on Derbys struggles in the Mail. Anyone have an idea how realistic an outcome liquidation is?

The administrator has a legal duty to maximise returns for the creditors. That means different things for different companies.
If a company is trading profitably - say a long term loan needs repaying but there isn’t enough money available - then the administrator would look to see whether current trading is making a profit. If it is, he can continue to trade and earn money to go toward paying part of the loan back. If the company is losing money through trading however, he can only trade for a short while to see if anyone will buy the company quickly. If he doesn’t stop trading after failing to find a buyer, then he (the administrator) could be liable for losses incurred after he was appointed.

in Derby’s case, the gate revenue and commercial income is unlikely to be enough to allow them to trade profitably (season ticket income will be a large part of attendances and this has already been received so won’t count towards current income). In such a case the administrator can only trade to see if the club can be sold. According to the article, this won’t be possible if HMRC insist on being repaid, as no buyer will pump enough money into the club just for it to be used to repay HMRC. The club also owe the US company that gave the ground loan £20m, plus other creditors around £20m. 
it depends whether HMRC reckon it better to use Derby as an example to others and refuse to take only a proportion of the £20m owned, or are more pragmatic and think taking a fraction is still better for public finances. Even if they accept a fraction, then the US company and other creditors would need to follow suit. After all that you still need to have a buyer willing to pump a lot of money in, with none of it available to spend on the club.
In short it is very possible that Derby could go into liquidation. It is likely to go to the brink of liquidation, even if it is saved.

• Like 1

Don't Derby have a young midfielder that is a bit interesting? Knight or something like that? Would be extra salt in their wounds if we picked him off them for a pittance in january. Administrators will be looking to sell anyone if they make it until january. If they fold at least we will get 2 extra points after our lacklustre draw earlier in the season.