oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

29 minutes ago, Borodane said:

It still doesn't change the fact that Arsenal got lucky, because if the ref had seen De Gea was down he would have blown the whistle immediatley.

Did the ref say he should have blown earlier or is this just an opinion? Because it sounds like, at least in the English interpretation, that play should carry on until that period of play is over like all other things like this in the Prem.

If it was in the Championship or any other division without VAR, yeah probably because the ref has to make decisions with his team relatively quickly with no external support. But especially around the topic of goals in the Prem, VAR checks them after the fact to see if they should have been ruled out to allow the game to play on and had it been an Arsenal player standing on De Gea's foot then surely, the goal would have been ruled out.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Did the ref say he should have blown earlier or is this just an opinion? Because it sounds like, at least in the English interpretation, that play should carry on until that period of play is over like all other things like this in the Prem.

If it was in the Championship or any other division without VAR, yeah probably because the ref has to make decisions with his team relatively quickly with no external support. But especially around the topic of goals in the Prem, VAR checks them after the fact to see if they should have been ruled out to allow the game to play on and had it been an Arsenal player standing on De Gea's foot then surely, the goal would have been ruled out.

He put the whistle in his mouth as soon as he realized De Gea was down so yeah I think he would. Refs always do when the keeper is hurt. Can you ever remember a game that has continued when the keeper is down injured? Refs instantly stops play. 

1 hour ago, boro-unger said:

I was exaggerating of course, but it would be like that if there was a rule that keepers had to be fully functional at all times

That rules out our keepers then!

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

He put the whistle in his mouth as soon as he realized De Gea was down so yeah I think he would. Refs always do when the keeper is hurt. Can you ever remember a game that has continued when the keeper is down injured? Refs instantly stops play. 

He looks in De Gea's direction before Elneny even heads the ball down and doesn't indicate anything. He hesitates the first time he moves towards putting it in his mouth and this is presumptuous on my part but I reckon it's because he wants the ball out of play before making a decision. He knows there's going to be a decision to be made but I don't think he's all too clear which way it will go based on the scuffle. Ball hits the net, whistle to mouth, lets have a look and let VAR help make the call.

I don't have stats or significant memories to back this up or anything but I'd say most situations where a keeper is down injured occur when they're fouled from a set-piece situation or when the play is nowhere near them and nothing is on. They won't prevent the attacking team from going forward if its their keeper down injured, I doubt, the danger is they're a significant man down in defensive situations so that wouldn't be a necessary call for attention unless the attacking team wanted it to happen. There's probably situations where a keeper may get injured from making a save and can't recover quickly to make a second. Would play stop then? If the next effort comes in too quickly, probably not.

And with the situation with attacking teams being allowed the benefit of the doubt in genuine goal-scoring situations, I don't think it'd be right to take that opportunity away from the attacking team if they aren't the ones that do the damage and in those situations, we can see it's really difficult to make out who did what in a penalty area. Same goes for marginal offsides, benefit goes to the attacking team and the decision of goal is determined after the VAR check. In most situations, the keeper will have been fouled by an attacking player so goal is ruled out, here that wasn't the case so the goal, in my opinion, rightly stands. I don't see why this should be any different to offsides, personally.

1 hour ago, Old Codger said:

Daft question time. ..   does anybody know if any other football club has had three managers or more in a row whose surnames began with the same letter  

Smogsterking is right,  I just googled Celtic managers and before Jock Stein they had the trio of Willie Maley, Jimmy McStay and Jimmy McGrory

1 minute ago, BearSmog said:
1 hour ago, Old Codger said:

Daft question time. ..   does anybody know if any other football club has had three managers or more in a row whose surnames began with the same letter  

Smogsterking is right,  I just googled Celtic managers and before Jock Stein they had the trio of Willie Maley, Jimmy McStay and Jimmy McGrory

It's also happened twice in Rangers history (McCoist, McDowell and McCall/White, Waddell and Wallace)

11 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Both of our two previous managers have the same initials: Chris Wilder and Colin W******

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Given the construction of Scottish (and Irish) names, Mc and O feels a little like Bulgarian names ending in V or Croatian with C, but good shout with White, Waddell and Wallace. Weird that they are W's too 🙂 , but that is more what I was wondering.      Many thanks, so at least one other    up to now. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Old Codger said:

words rarely seen in same sentence.            Joey Barton is innocent..  or not guilty. Obviously Barnsley manager dived despite testimony of eyewitness 

We definitely need VAR in tunnels.