oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Read that Maguire was booed by England fans the other night. What a distinct lack of class by those "fans"👏 I must say that the treatment Maguire is getting in England is appalling and embarassing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Read that Maguire was booed by England fans the other night. What a distinct lack of class by those "fans"👏 I must say that the treatment Maguire is getting in England is appalling and embarassing.

I was at the game - it was really weird.

The Wembley crowd is a strange one at friendlies - very young and very London crowd. Lots of tourists and day-trippers. I guess I'd include myself in that, as I only went because we got free tickets. Trying to get to an England game that means something is borderline impossible unless you want to pay through the nose for scalped tickets.

There were more people singing about Arsenal, West Ham and Spurs than England. I imagine Maguire got it because A) London clubs booing the United connection, B) southern Man United plastics joining in and C) he gets dog's abuse on social media so all the kids think it's funny to boo him. Then of course idiots will just join in because others are doing it without really thinking about it.

I'm sure he'll get an extra loud roar from the 'proper' England fans who turn up to the away games and Nations League fixtures. 

• Like 2

It's just an odd one, really. Booing a player from a name being announced. The worst I've ever really noticed at the Riverside is you know who people don't like when you hear every name get cheered except for the odd one or two.

I think the last time I remember a player being booed at the Riverside from a name being announced (though I wasn't there so may be recalling incorrectly) was when Ramirez came on for Monk's home friendly.

29 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's just an odd one, really. Booing a player from a name being announced. The worst I've ever really noticed at the Riverside is you know who people don't like when you hear every name get cheered except for the odd one or two.

I think the last time I remember a player being booed at the Riverside from a name being announced (though I wasn't there so may be recalling incorrectly) was when Ramirez came on for Monk's home friendly.

Thankfully it's not something you hear often. At least not over here anyway. Boing the oppostion players when you have a large away following is funny though. My own club has one of the biggest away following in the league and often it is about 50/50 in voice level or even above. The home stadium speaker usually calls out the lineup of the home side by saying the first name and then the crowd has to yell the last name. It's a bit bland when the crowd isn't so big. The AGF away following has a tradition of yelling "ass-hole" at every last name and it's with some conviction and will often outyell the home support. Funny little thing to build up the atmosphere but I doubt it's something that will "hurt" the players as it's not really personal.

5 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I have a distinct memory of Kevin Thomson being booed onto the pitch as a sub during either Strachan or Mowbray's tenure, don't really remember if there was any context around it.

5 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

Bet we get Wales or Scotland for our last one

Called it!

Decent draw overall for us. We're definitely getting beat by Wales if they get through though 😄 Slava Ukraini!

Just now, boro-unger said:

Called it!

Not being funny but given the nature of the draw it was highly likely they'd be with us once the first three selections in each group had been made 😝