oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

Im not gay but believe it’s right to challenge that just in case someone else is offended by it.

This is what confuses me to be honest.

Isn't it up to the 'someone else' to mention if they are offended? I wouldn't presume to comment on their behalf.

'Someone else' could be offended by pretty much anything. 

Edit.

Actually that isn't always true. I realise that some terms are obviously offensive and should be challenged by all. 

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

A few years ago I used the term "bent as a nine bob note" in a meeting for which someone reported me as being offensive! I shouldn't have used the word "bent" apparently.

I explained the meaning of the expression but the twenty something wasn't having any of it so I ended the "discussion" shook my head and left them to it. Even explaining that in the context of the conversation her understanding of it made absolutely no sense versus the actual meaning of the expression was still apparently unacceptable in their mind.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1
52 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Should we cancel Placebo for having a song called Nancy Boy, sung by a man known for having an effeminate appearance?

I think its one of those terms that falls into the category of being okay to use for those in said category...but not by anyone else. Actually, now I think about it, it seems to apply to pretty much all slurs / offensive terms.

I wouldn't want Placebo cancelled in any case as I quite like that song.

13 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

A few years ago I used the term "bent as a nine bob note" in a meeting for which someone reported me as being offensive! I shouldn't have used the word "bent" apparently.

I explained the meaning of the expression but the twenty something wasn't having any of it so I ended the "discussion" shook my head and left them to it. Even explaining that in the context of the conversation her understanding of it made absolutely no sense versus the actual meaning of the expression was still apparently unacceptable in their mind.

You did the right thing.

There is just no reasoning with some people. 🙄

Things like context and alternate meanings just don't feature in some peoples' vocabulary.

2 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

I’m not gay but believe it’s right to challenge that just in case someone else is offended by it. 

Please change your username as It may offend large rugged police officers with an affection to other men

• Haha 1

Once more I apologise for an ill-judged attempt at humour. I did not intentionally intend to offend anybody, but I accept I have and that I have to consider my words more carefully. MBP is right to point that out and I am old enough to accept that without ill-feeling, so let's put this behind us and hopefully just concentrate on the football. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Old Codger said:

Once more I apologise for an ill-judged attempt at humour. I did not intentionally intend to offend anybody, but I accept I have and that I have to consider my words more carefully. MBP is right to point that out and I am old enough to accept that without ill-feeling, so let's put this behind us and hopefully just concentrate on the football. 

Don’t apologise buddy. Keep on keeping on 👍

10 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Apparently meanings from history are trumped by any present day interpretation. Which should cast a shadow over the person who misinterpreted the expression rather than the originator.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, estonpidge said:

Apparently meanings from history are trumped by any present day interpretation. Which should cast a shadow over the person who misinterpreted the expression rather than the originator.

I think that the individual would have zero knowledge of pounds shillings and pence, let alone LSD 🙂probably didn't help. It was literally a foreign language to her, I may well have been speaking in olde English Shakespeare speak to her. Ten bob notes probably went out of circulation in her Grandads or even Great Grandads time!

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think that the individual would have zero knowledge of pounds shillings and pence, let alone LSD 🙂probably didn't help. It was literally a foreign language to her, I may well have been speaking in olde English Shakespeare speak to her. Ten bob notes probably went out of circulation in her Grandads or even Great Grandads time!

While its fair enough for younger (under 30s) people to be unaware of things like this, a refusal to acknowledge or accept perfectly rational explanations, or the obviously inoffensive context in which things can be said, is really annoying.

They just judge everything through millennial-tinted specs and get offended...usually on behalf of other people.

Times like this I wish time travel was a possibility. Taking them back to the 70s, or even further would be one hell of a culture shock for them (the casual acceptance of racism and homophobia notwithstanding)! 😆

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, northern boro said:

The EFL's AGM in June will ask clubs if they want to scrap the 3pm blackout to enable games to be broadcast on iFollow

Seems pointless to carry it on now given how simple it is to get around, and lifting it might at least limit piracy somewhat, whilst putting money in clubs coffers.