oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

I'm watching Mansfield vs Northampton and there's a Mansfield version of "Oh Wilder said" being sung.  It's more happy-clappy than ours though, ours sounds more like a battle cry than their version.  Must be the Teesside air doing things to our vocal chords.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Still no clue which team will drop into the championship next season. Thought Everton might just escape but they've properly imploded today. 2 red cards aswell 😬

1 hour ago, Smogzilla said:

Still no clue which team will drop into the championship next season. Thought Everton might just escape but they've properly imploded today. 2 red cards aswell 😬

I still fancy Leeds to drop they needed to win today, I think Everton will take the 3 points at home against Palace, Burnley will get a result against the geordies and Leeds wil lose at Brentford. 

• Like 1
On 5/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Personally I'd love the chance to manage the team I got promoted to a level they've never played at before in their history, but then again I'm not all about the money.

or a professional football manager so your just looking at it from a fans perspective who would love to be a manager. 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:52 AM, wilsoncgp said:

There are a few managers who are building strong reputations from lower down who are getting chances further up the pyramid, it doesn't mean you should jump to the first option possible in the league above where you'll be, especially at a club where you have to maintain exceptional performances all year round just to be sure you'll be in a job.

Watford, as has been mentioned, are a basketcase when it comes to managers. If I was a football manager, Watford would be a massive red flag for me unless I was outside of the football league. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Edwards will have a Championship sacking on his CV before the end of next season, not that it will necessarily be deserved but it will be something that never goes away and may lead to him struggling to get another Championship job in the aftermath.

Honestly, he'd probably have been better off letting Watford hire somebody else, sack them, then join them midway through the season like Xisco did. At least then he'd likely be getting sacked as a Prem manager.

Who is to say that if he rejected them now he would ever get that call again? You cannot pick and choose when you join a team like that as a league two manager. The board would probably think not to waste time speaking to him again, especially if he was struggling with his previous team in league one facing relegation which is a strong possibility. 

I'd think he knows all about Watford and how fickle they are but he probably believes in himself and its still a great opportunity and he is probably going to be very well paid for him no matter what the outcome is. There's more potential upside than downside. If it don't work out he can go back to league one/two management again very easily.

I think most of the risk is on Watfords side here rather than his, got to take opportunities like this when you can while your hot or you may never get them again. 

7 hours ago, Rob said:

or a professional football manager so your just looking at it from a fans perspective who would love to be a manager. 

Who is to say that if he rejected them now he would ever get that call again? You cannot pick and choose when you join a team like that as a league two manager. The board would probably think not to waste time speaking to him again, especially if he was struggling with his previous team in league one facing relegation which is a strong possibility. 

I'd think he knows all about Watford and how fickle they are but he probably believes in himself and its still a great opportunity and he is probably going to be very well paid for him no matter what the outcome is. There's more potential upside than downside. If it don't work out he can go back to league one/two management again very easily.

I think most of the risk is on Watfords side here rather than his, got to take opportunities like this when you can while your hot or you may never get them again. 

While you do have a point, knowing the kind of club Watford are, I personally would let that ship sail and be happy if I never got another opportunity to manage in the PL, knowing that at least I never had to put up with the Pozzos.

No regrets at all...

On 5/14/2022 at 9:02 PM, Hendrie_7 said:

I'm watching Mansfield vs Northampton and there's a Mansfield version of "Oh Wilder said" being sung.  It's more happy-clappy than ours though, ours sounds more like a battle cry than their version.  Must be the Teesside air doing things to our vocal chords.

Or possibly its just the Teesside mentality, conditioned by many years of pain and disappointment, leading fans to create harder-sounding chants? 💪👊🎢🗑️🎶

In other news, it seems the sale of Chelsea has hit a snag...to the point the government are worried the deal could fall through.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61467164

The problem seems to lie with Abramovich refusing to agree on where the proceeds of the sale go. Although he has said he has not asked for a £1.6bn loan to be repaid, a government "insider" / ITK said that approval of where the money goes is being hindered by the club's "complex" ownership structure.

Interestingly, the club's parent company, Fordstam Ltd, owes £1.6bn to a company based in Jersey (Camberley International Investments), which is suspected of having links with Abramovich. Wouldn't be surprised, given its location in a tax haven.

Anyway, its the failure to agree on where the money goes that is apparently threatening to sink the deal...

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Jake Daniels from Blackpool is the championship player who has come out as gay. 

I personally don’t think it should be a big thing but clearly it is. 

I hope his name is applauded when teams read out at grounds next year. 

• Like 1

It's a big thing when you consider how many homophobic chants you hear in stands, how many times you see homophobic slurs in social media. The stigma is very much still there, in football more than in most areas of society. 

It's brave because it's a 100% guarantee that he's going to get abuse about it for the rest of his career. I just hope the positive response he gets from it outweighs that and that many more can follow in his footsteps without feeling afraid of being who they are.

Fair play to the lad

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

It's a big thing when you consider how many homophobic chants you hear in stands, how many times you see homophobic slurs in social media. The stigma is very much still there, in football more than in most areas of society. 

It's brave because it's a 100% guarantee that he's going to get abuse about it for the rest of his career. I just hope the positive response he gets from it outweighs that and that many more can follow in his footsteps without feeling afraid of being who they are.

Fair play to the lad

Agree that it is a massive thing. Just hope one day it isn’t. And by showing the bravery and courage Daniels has hopefully one day it won’t be. 

I will certainly be clapping his name when it’s read out at the riverside before kick off

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Or possibly its just the Teesside mentality, conditioned by many years of pain and disappointment, leading fans to create harder-sounding chants? 💪👊🎢🗑️🎶

Yeah, that and the fact that we're rock hard.  Obviously.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Interestingly, the club's parent company, Fordstam Ltd, owes £1.6bn to a company based in Jersey (Camberley International Investments), which is suspected of having links with Abramovich. Wouldn't be surprised, given its location in a tax haven.

Might have links with our owner then in that case.