• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Jeez England are painful to watch 😭 

Just look tired, leggy and disinterested at best, half-hearted and clueless at worst! Southgate's expressions are reminiscent of his time in the Boro dugout.

Maybe we should be shopping for bargains in Hungary instead of overpriced Championship Players and inexperienced Premiership loans?

Wow 4-0 to Hungary and it certainly doesn’t flatter them. 

Gotta love it when we were 3-0 down and SG master plan was to bring on Harry fricken McGuire 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

The rest of the country is now seeing more clearly the Southgate we all knew from his time here. 

Yep I think he's done a lot of good things but taken England as far as he can. England need a tactician to take it to the next level now. 

Southgate has done enough to deserve the World Cup though... And I have a feeling it will be a disappointing one. 

8 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Yep I think he's done a lot of good things but taken England as far as he can. England need a tactician to take it to the next level now. 

Southgate has done enough to deserve the World Cup though... And I have a feeling it will be a disappointing one. 

Get the Pulis and Warnock dream team in immediately 

2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

The rest of the country is now seeing more clearly the Southgate we all knew from his time here. 

It's mostly reactionary buffoons who take one result with a side that wasn't even close to the country's first team as gospel over what the manager has actually achieved over every other England manager in recent memory.

I remember when we lost 4-0 at home to Aston Villa when a young man called Luke Moore scored a hat trick. A man ran up to the manager to throw his season ticket at him. Next time out, we beat Mourinho's Chelsea pretty convincingly 3-0, his heaviest loss as Chelsea boss ever at the time and one of very few. Then we got to the UEFA Cup Final in the same season with arguably the 2 best nights the Riverside has ever seen along the way. Imagine if that man got his wish that day?

Not to say there aren't some legitimate concerns with Southgate as England manager but his record compared to other England managers speaks for itself, I really don't see much in comparing his time here 13-16 years ago to his time as England boss. Despite managing the 4th most England games since WW2, his win rate is only bested by Capello, who managed just over half as many games. And Capello never got England as far as Southgate in a tournament where it really matters.

Southgate's future shouldn't remotely be in question right now.

• Like 7

just a stupid competition, i just see it as friendlies, this is the time to make mistakes and try stuff out, i dont even think they should be doing it in the summer when have the world cup coming up , players gonna need some rest , next season gonna be a touch one fitness wise for those at the world cup and in europe as well lol

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Rob said:

just a stupid competition, i just see it as friendlies, this is the time to make mistakes and try stuff out, i dont even think they should be doing it in the summer when have the world cup coming up , players gonna need some rest , next season gonna be a touch one fitness wise for those at the world cup and in europe as well lol

It's the postponed Euros and Qatar World Cup throwing everything out of kilter.

Normally the World Cup would be on right now, and these matches would have taken place in the autumn/winter.

• Like 1

Southgate will have hopefully learned two main things last night, the first is that his squad depth isn't great at International level and that many of the performances over the last few games surely must have confirmed that. The second one is that when your tactics aren't working and the opposition Manager has out thought and out Managed you then you need to change something. In balance he isn't alone in that second failing, it's a common trait amongst many Managers.

As bad as England's performance was it wasn't as bad as Channel 4's coverage which was amateurish at best. The expert summarisers made me chuckle so it wasn't all bad I suppose.

at least it highlights stuff thats wrong when it dont really matter, I think most players just want to be off at the moment and / or dont want to be injured for what ever is lined up during summer, not in right headspace 

Our main problem is that whilst we have excellent players in creative areas of the midfield and quality attackers, we are going through a period where our best centre-backs are not of the highest quality. For many years, players like Adams, Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Butcher and Southgate dominated the defence. Sadly, we have no players approaching their standard at the current time. Tomori looks promising, but Mings, Dier, Coady and White are not convincing and whilst Maguire and Stones look good against weaker opposition, they seem to struggle against top sides. I have always believed that the primary function of defenders is to perform that function and if they have any attacking skills that is a bonus. At the moment, it is our weak spot and given the number of good forwards that will be in Qatar, we will do well to get to the last four, so whilst we should get through the group easily enough, anything else is a bonus. Of course, just my personal view, but would any of our back four inspire confidence in a "backs to the wall" battle?        

15 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Just look tired, leggy and disinterested at best, half-hearted and clueless at worst! Southgate's expressions are reminiscent of his time in the Boro dugout.

Maybe we should be shopping for bargains in Hungary instead of overpriced Championship Players and inexperienced Premiership loans?

I'm thinking (hoping) that England's godawful Nations League performances are, in fact, a form of protest and a signal that they're just not taking it seriously.

If they play like this in the WC they will be on the plane home very quickly...

• Like 1