oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Doesn't matter how many good players Wolves sign, they still have to be able to play as a team.

The whole thing stinks of sour grapes to me, Wolves have pretty much dominated this league and other teams are jealous.

And they also used the same connections for the management team.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Think some are missing the point slightly with who exactly Wolves are signing. Those who are saying that the likes of Neves and Jota needed to earn some sort of credence to get a move next year....

Neves was captaining Porto in the champions league last season and Jota was also playing. These are some of the most highly rated young players in Europe. If (as some have said) he apparently needed to be sold because of Porto's financial problems why on earth would they sell him to some irrelevant championship for under half his market value?? They would have surely been able to sell such a player to half the EPL and probably a dozen or so other european clubs for well over 30m instead of the 15m they received from Wolves.

Even Neves himself, I'm sure while captaining Porto in the champions league he was secretly dreaming about wanting to play for the mighty Wolverhampton Wanderers, a historic 2nd tier nothing club.

If the problem was just Wolves throwing money around gambling on promotion it wouldn't be a issue for me, plenty have done it including us to an extent when we bought Rhodes in the promo season. Sometimes it works like for us, other times it doesn't like Derby in 2015, Birmingham this season.   

Wolves though are getting players which even if we threw 50m at and 100k in wages at we wouldn't be able to get. Not only are they getting them, they are getting them for peanuts in fees and wages. 

Definitely needs looking into. If they are doing it through some sort of loophole then it needs closed, and if they are doing it illegal I'd want the book thrown at them.

Doesn't matter how many good players Wolves sign, they still have to be able to play as a team.

The whole thing stinks of sour grapes to me, Wolves have pretty much dominated this league and other teams are jealous.

I was going to say Mendes was Karanka's agent but it still doesn't take away from the suspicion is that Mendes is financially benefiting from any progression at Wolves, rather than just getting the odd fee from player/manager contracts.

You make it sound like it’s uncommon to recruit key personal through personal contacts. Personal contacts is probably the best way of getting the right staff.

And regarding Neves Porto absolutely had to sell because of their finances. They more or less didn’t have a choice and wolves were seemingly the only team willing to pay an acceptable fee. I’d say 20 million isn’t far off considering the selling club was was on the brink of bankruptcy (or close to it). If Chelsea, Spurs or whatever had matched or paid more I’m sure Porto wouldn’t have chosen the better offer. And Jota on loan; give me a break how many times does a somewhat unrealistic loan come off because of a personal contact.

Just a few weeks ago a single phone call from a Serbian manager at Fulham persuaded Mitrovic to drop us and go to Fulham without thinking twice. Nothing shady there. We too have had loans where we haven’t paid the full wages. We only paid a third of Ramirez’ wages for example. We loaned a 60k a week prem player. I can’t see Jota being on 60k at Atletico.

Neves was £15m, widely reported, widely accepted. But add an extra £5m if it suits your point...

Ok. Thought it was 20. Still doesn’t change the fact that Porto absolutely had to sell, no other clubs bid for him and he only played 909 minutes for them last season so not like he was a very important first team player. Yeah he captained them in the champions league but only featured in 3 matches playing 100 mins. (Edit he captained them for a few games two years ago where he played more games). Most likely it was just because he was a local player in an unimportant game. Big talent yes but not like we were talking world class here.

Isn’t it just a more complex version of what  Watford did a few seasons back. When they signed about 5-6 players from their sister club for a euro each?

Weren't they mostly loans? I don't think they were ever in danger of exploiting FFP. Even if that was a pretty sneaky way of getting good players in, it wasn't miles different to Karanka using his Mourinho connection to get a handful of players from Chelsea.

Firstly they were loans. The Ian Holloway called them out on it, as they had 10 or so loans in a match day squad. The football league closed that loophole so then they bought the players (not all) for 1€ each iirc

Neves was £15m, widely reported, widely accepted. But add an extra £5m if it suits your point...

Ok. Thought it was 20. Still doesn’t change the fact that Porto absolutely had to sell, no other clubs bid for him and he only played 909 minutes for them last season so not like he was a very important first team player. Yeah he captained them in the champions league but only featured in 3 matches playing 100 mins. (Edit he captained them for a few games two years ago where he played more games). Most likely it was just because he was a local player in an unimportant game. Big talent yes but not like we were talking world class here.

I refuse to believe nobody else was interested, this is a player who Liverpool and Juve (from memory) had wanted only one window prior and been quoted £30m! Are we really meant to believe that these clubs weren't interested at half that price?

And if I’m not mistaken I think the EFL has already checked the complaints and come out with a press release today saying they are fully aware of everything and wolves haven’t done anything wrong. There is nothing shady about using your network to get the right players. Mendes isn’t an employee at wolves. Even though Fosun owns 10 percent of Gestifude there is nothing wrong with wolves calling Mendes saying we need a CM, what have you got that could be available.

I refuse to believe nobody else was interested, this is a player who Liverpool and Juve (from memory) had wanted only one window prior and been quoted £30m! Are we really meant to believe that these clubs weren't interested at half that price?

Yeah they were maybe quoted 30 mil at a time Porto weren’t pressed to sell, but maybe they laughed that off. And in the end they didn’t make a bid. Don’t you think Porto would have made them aware of interest and a bid if they thought they could get more elsewhere. If City bids 20 mil for Traore don’t you think we would somehow let Chelsea know that if they had registered a genuinely interest last season. Porto were desperate so they would want to raise as much cash as possible.

And if I’m not mistaken I think the EFL has already checked the complaints and come out with a press release today saying they are fully aware of everything and wolves haven’t done anything wrong. There is nothing shady about using your network to get the right players. Mendes isn’t an employee at wolves. Even though Fosun owns 10 percent of Gestifude there is nothing wrong with wolves calling Mendes saying we need a CM, what have you got that could be available.

You are mistaken, no press release today, unless it's been missed by every major news source.

Yeah they were maybe quoted 30 mil at a time Porto weren’t pressed to sell, but maybe they laughed that off. And in the end they didn’t make a bid. Don’t you think Porto would have made them aware of interest and a bid if they thought they could get more elsewhere. If City bids 20 mil for Traore don’t you think we would somehow let Chelsea know that if they had registered a genuinely interest last season. Porto were desperate so they would want to raise as much cash as possible.

I think you're massively underestimating how much power Jorge Mendes has in the game.