oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Can’t we just agree that they are both great footballers. Every time one of them does something good the Ronaldo vs Messi debate takes over. Not on here though but on vertically every other forum.

Vertically speaking I'd say Ronaldo is better.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Can’t we just agree that they are both great footballers. Every time one of them does something good the Ronaldo vs Messi debate takes over. Not on here though but on vertically every other forum.

Vertically speaking I'd say Ronaldo is better.

Jebus

I am not saying Messi isn’t brilliant. He is. And I appreciate him as a footballer. Sorry if bringing him into it blurred the issue, maybe I should have just said that I think Ronaldo is the best player in the world. And has been for a while.

Christiano Ronaldo. What an epic footballer.

I have been saying for a few years he is better than Messi. I know not many agree, but he so much more to his game. He has done it in two leagues. He is stronger, faster, better in the air, as skilful, about as good a finisher.

That goal tonight was outstanding. I know others have scored similar but at this stage of the CL. Against such a good side. And for your 119th European goal. To have the whole of the stadium applauding you. That is special.

I couldn't disagree more. Ronaldo for the last 2-3 years has become a glorified goal poacher, actually sacrificing aspects of his game to try and maintain just his goal scoring numbers. Whereas Messi is actually adding more to his game, he has essentially become Barcas attack and part of their midfield, if he isn't firing Barca aren't firing.

Messi's a better passer, dribbler, assister and a better goalscorer. But Ronaldo has better natural physical attributes so he's better? Pull the other one.

For me what it boils down to is that Ronaldo has worked astoundingly hard to be as good as he is, whereas Messi's talent is completely natural.

I'm not saying Ronaldo isn't naturally gifted, nor am I saying that Messi doesn't train hard, but for me, I prefer to watch Messi, because everything about his size and stature tell me he shouldn't be a good footballer, and yet his natural ability with a ball is like nothing I have seen in my life (I'm too young to remember prime Maradona).

I have been saying for a few years he is better than Messi. I know not many agree, but he so much more to his game. He has done it in two leagues. He is stronger, faster, better in the air, as skilful, about as good a finisher.

That goal tonight was outstanding. I know others have scored similar but at this stage of the CL. Against such a good side. And for your 119th European goal. To have the whole of the stadium applauding you. That is special.

I couldn't disagree more. Ronaldo for the last 2-3 years has become a glorified goal poacher, actually sacrificing aspects of his game to try and maintain just his goal scoring numbers. Whereas Messi is actually adding more to his game, he has essentially become Barcas attack and part of their midfield, if he isn't firing Barca aren't firing.

Messi's a better passer, dribbler, assister and a better goalscorer. But Ronaldo has better natural physical attributes so he's better? Pull the other one.

I don't think you can claim that Messi is a better goalscorer when Ronaldo has scored more goals in his career albeit in more games. Or do you mean Messi scores better goals? If anything Ronaldo is a goalscorer.

To me they are both just fantastic footballers and one is sometimes better than the other in periods. Ronaldo has 23 goals since the turn of the year. Thats 23 goals inside three months in just 14 games. And is the first player to score in 10 consecutive CL matches. Madness.

Ronaldo is an outstanding goalscorer and  at the very top level of  players in the history of the game  you can pick small faults with his demeanour and ideosyncracies  but his record where it matters over the last decade or so holds up against anyone ever .

BUT MESSI....Has all that and more imo . i,ll go as far as to say he is and will be the greatest footballer i will ever witness in my lifetime and it will take something extroadinary to top him in the future .  i saw plenty of Maradona and,special as he was. these two have surpassed him . Ronaldo  not in every aspect ,but Messi in all .

I don't think you can claim that Messi is a better goalscorer when Ronaldo has scored more goals in his career albeit in more games. Or do you mean Messi scores better goals? If anything Ronaldo is a goalscorer.

To me they are both just fantastic footballers and one is sometimes better than the other in periods. Ronaldo has 23 goals since the turn of the year. Thats 23 goals inside three months in just 14 games. And is the first player to score in 10 consecutive CL matches. Madness.

Messi has average a goal every 93 minutes through his career whereas Ronaldo has average a goal every 107 minutes. I think my argument is justified and back up by stats.

I think calling him a glorified goal poacher is a bit much after seeing him score one the all time great CL goals.

I would take your point about maintaining his numbers and see it as a strength. He is adapting to the fact that he isn’t as quick as he was. So he has entirely adapted his game to be able to offer the team something as valuable. And what is more valuable than scoring goals. And his ratio is mental.

Messi maybe edges it in terms of passing and dribbling (but it is close - over their career) and Ronaldo edges it in many other areas.

They are clearly both outstanding players. Arguably the worst greatest players ever to play the game. We are very lucky to have them both playing at the same time. I view it very much like Federer and Nadal in Tennis. Two genuine all time greats pushing each other on to be even better.

I don’t think you can definitively say one is better than the other. Because there are so many contextual and mitigating factors. I will just say that - for me - Ronaldo is better. I am not naive to think that is not entirely subjective though.

In my lifetime the two greatest players were Zidane, closely followed by Maradona. I think both Ronaldo and Messi are better than those two. And have the longevity of a great career to back it up.

I love football

Messi has average a goal every 93 minutes through his career whereas Ronaldo has average a goal every 107 minutes. I think my argument is justified and back up by stats.

Every stat taken without context doesn’t show the whole picture though. Someone shared a great thing on FB using stats to show that Ronaldo is better. It was really interesting - but not definitive but without context stats show what you want them to.

Stats don't mean a lot considering the circumstances of both footballers are hugely different. Ronaldo played in an average United team for years and single handedly made them look a lot better than they are. He has also never played in a team as good as the Barcelona team that Messi thrived in for years with xavi and iniesta giving a constant supply of chances. Argentina are historically a better attacking team than Portugal too and arguably there are fewer strong teams in South America than in europe.

Im Not coming down on either side of the argument as truthfully, I keep changing my mind. That's how close it is for me. Just pointing out that relying on stats isn't applicable in this particular debate, its just a matter ot preference. Unquestionably the best two footballers I've ever seen though.

Stats don't mean a lot considering the circumstances of both footballers are hugely different. Ronaldo played in an average United team for years and single handedly made them look a lot better than they are. He has also never played in a team as good as the Barcelona team that Messi thrived in for years with xavi and iniesta giving a constant supply of chances. Argentina are historically a better attacking team than Portugal too and arguably there are fewer strong teams in South America than in europe.

Im Not coming down on either side of the argument as truthfully, I keep changing my mind. That's how close it is for me. Just pointing out that relying on stats isn't applicable in this particular debate, its just a matter ot preference. Unquestionably the best two footballers I've ever seen though.

I agree with every word of this. Well said that man.

Yes NB4. I was about to write something like that. The players around Messi was much better than the players Ronaldo had around him at United. Once Ronaldo moved to Real and got better players around him he has scored more goals than he has played games (445 goals in 430 games).