oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

"The English Football League has agreed a new five-year television rights deal with Sky Sports worth £595m.

The deal, which runs from the start of next season until May 2024, is a 35% increase on the previous contract.

The broadcaster will show 138 league games a season from all three divisions as well as every play-off match, plus Carabao Cup games and latter stages of the Checkatrade Trophy."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46267320

The EFL have stuck their necks out in signing this deal.

This morning, I was told 21 out of the 24 Championship clubs wanted the EFL to ask Sky for more time, or even negotiate a shorter contract, to allow some of the issues - amount of money being paid, the number of times clubs are on TV, the mass streaming of midweek games - to be sorted out.

Should this deal go through against their wishes, I was told, it would be 'war'.

Now the Championship clubs must decide whether there is any substance behind their rhetoric, whether they are willing to do anything to back up their claims of incompetence.

A meeting is due to take place tomorrow. The outcome will be very interesting indeed.

Wow. Maybe Premier League 2 is closer to reality than first thought.

I can’t see that ever going to be a possibility. It would just be another league below the Prem. Would that really be in anyone’s interest? It’s weird that they are signing the deal if 21 clubs wanted more time. A bit arrogant from EFL and Sky. Is suppose the clubs in question could threaten to block sky cameras in the stadium and refuse to take the money.

Maybe the EFL signed it to tie up the sky money to themselves. If a breakaway premier league 2 was formed in the near future it would be funded by the current premier league deal with sky and the EFL would be left with a lot of money for Leagues 1&2.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

"The English Football League has agreed a new five-year television rights deal with Sky Sports worth £595m.

The deal, which runs from the start of next season until May 2024, is a 35% increase on the previous contract.

The broadcaster will show 138 league games a season from all three divisions as well as every play-off match, plus Carabao Cup games and latter stages of the Checkatrade Trophy."

The EFL have stuck their necks out in signing this deal.

This morning, I was told 21 out of the 24 Championship clubs wanted the EFL to ask Sky for more time, or even negotiate a shorter contract, to allow some of the issues - amount of money being paid, the number of times clubs are on TV, the mass streaming of midweek games - to be sorted out.

Should this deal go through against their wishes, I was told, it would be 'war'.

Now the Championship clubs must decide whether there is any substance behind their rhetoric, whether they are willing to do anything to back up their claims of incompetence.

A meeting is due to take place tomorrow. The outcome will be very interesting indeed.

Wow. Maybe Premier League 2 is closer to reality than first thought.

I can’t see that ever going to be a possibility. It would just be another league below the Prem. Would that really be in anyone’s interest? It’s weird that they are signing the deal if 21 clubs wanted more time. A bit arrogant from EFL and Sky. Is suppose the clubs in question could threaten to block sky cameras in the stadium and refuse to take the money.

Maybe the EFL signed it to tie up the sky money to themselves. If a breakaway premier league 2 was formed in the near future it would be funded by the current premier league deal with sky and the EFL would be left with a lot of money for Leagues 1&2.

I imagine sky have a break clause should the league disband or a certain number of teams leave. I don’t actually this this is a bad thing or would be resisted by the premier league teams. It makes it easier to reduce the financial penalty of relegation (paying prem 2 teams more) and actually opens up the opportunity to split the divisions differently if needed to see off the European super league threat.

Not that it will happen (warning - this is pretty radical!) but an option i’d like would be to restructure into a prem 1 with ten teams (each team playing each other 4 times, 36 games a season, more money-spinners and big interesting games), then have two leagues (prem south and north) of 18 below (assuming 2 more teams from league 1, each plays a more sensible 36 games in a season) plus playoffs (top 6 of each division - with a wild card game like the NFL or rugby). Playoff winner gets promoted, second place plays second bottom p1 team for a promotion place. Bottom 2 of each division relegated. Add an extra cup to replace the league cup (maybe allowing a couple of invitational sides) with a good prize pot. Sky would love it, the big teams would love it (more $$$ for both) and the mid-lower prem teams can greatly reduce financial risk (admittedly some would have to elect to drop down initially - though this could create the bargaining power to guarantee fairer payments for prem N & S teams).

Whatever happens if the championship goes, then League 1 & 2 would be screwed, as their tv rights are basically worth nothing (based on the minimal number of games shown). More likely that the league 1 & 2 games would be sold to a streaming service to show all matches and you would buy a season pass for your team.

Middlesbrough a*** Championship clubs considering breakaway 'nuclear option' in Sky TV deal fight

"Boro will meet with a group of Championship big hitters today to draw up ‘drastic action’ battle plans against the controversial new Football League TV deal.

The five-year deal with Sky Sports, worth £595m and due to start next season, has been agreed by the nine member Football League board.

But a powerful group of clubs are bitterly opposed to the deal insisting it undervalues the product, saying it has been foisted upon them and that the red button broadcast proposals will make a massive dent in gates.

They also believe a five-year deal is a strategic mistake at a time when the broadcast landscape is changing rapidly with the growth of rival streaming and online services.

One senior executive said: “The Football League board has just started a war.”

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-a***-championship-clubs-considering-15438627

£3m a year is insulting - one PL team gets more than the whole Championship. Good on the clubs for standing up to Sky. How can that possibly be fair when many Championship clubs like us Leeds, Derby, Forest, Villa bring in big TV audiences for them?

That's a good point, I'd bet the 5 you've named get sky more views than the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Huddersfield.

Boro bosses WON’T back a breakaway - but they will support united action to redraft the controversial new TV rights deal.

They want to review and revise the nuts and bolts of what they believe is a flawed agreement.

And they will favour any concerted moves to unseat the board members who agreed it.

But it is understood that Boro wouldn’t back ‘the nuclear option’ of a mass walk out on the Football League threatened in some quarters.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-wont-back-breakaway-sky-15440839

Leeds are seeking permission to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency loan after both senior keeps picked up injuries

See if they want Andy Lonergan back ?

Leeds are seeking permission to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency loan after both senior keeps picked up injuries

They shouldn't be allowed. The emergency loan has been scrapped and while it's unfortunate that they have two injuries I'm sure they have a young lad waiting for a game. That had a whole summer to put together a squad. And for that reason we have three senior keepers.

They shouldn't be allowed. The emergency loan has been scrapped and while it's unfortunate that they have two injuries I'm sure they have a young lad waiting for a game. That had a whole summer to put together a squad. And for that reason we have three senior keepers.

Emergency loans for keeper's haven't been scrapped, in fact it was the very reason the system was brought in in the first place.

Emergency loans for keeper's haven't been scrapped, in fact it was the very reason the system was brought in in the first place.

Guess that’s my lesson for today :) I still think it’s wrong though.