Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Neverbefore

Non-Boro Football

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Betting companies are heavily involved in sports, in fact it's their primary revenue stream and the whole point for them existing. Booze and fags aren't?

Cigarette companies were massively involved in sponsoring formula 1, cricket, snooker and Darts not too long ago. It’s unthinkable now.

Alcohol companies sponsorship of shirts isn’t banned, but most clubs choose not to be associated with alcohol brands through choice. They could choose to veto gambling sites in the same way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Cigarette companies were massively involved in sponsoring formula 1, cricket, snooker and Darts not too long ago. It’s unthinkable now.

Alcohol companies sponsorship of shirts isn’t banned, but most clubs choose not to be associated with alcohol brands through choice. They could choose to veto gambling sites in the same way. 

Some countries have banned alcohol adverts, remember Liverpool playing with a C instead of Carlsberg one game. Shortly afterwards they parted ways, but Amstel sponsor the CL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great initiative this by Huddersfield and Paddy Power

I actually think that they can put sponsors logos on the kit the teams wear , but that replica kits should be sponsor free. I would imagine that they would sell more if that were the case as well

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Boro 86 said:

Great initiative this by Huddersfield and Paddy Power

I actually think that they can put sponsors logos on the kit the teams wear , but that replica kits should be sponsor free. I would imagine that they would sell more if that were the case as well

But again, I'm pretty sure the sponsor will factor them being on replica shirts when giving us the money. So the sponsor would give us less money if we didn't put it on them or any other merchandise like training kits and whatnot. I'm not a expert on this by any means but I'm pretty sure the club will make more money from sponsored replica kits than the extra few quid some supporters might pay if the shirt was lacking a sponsor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

But again, I'm pretty sure the sponsor will factor them being on replica shirts when giving us the money. So the sponsor would give us less money if we didn't put it on them or any other merchandise like training kits and whatnot. I'm not a expert on this by any means but I'm pretty sure the club will make more money from sponsored replica kits than the extra few quid some supporters might pay if the shirt was lacking a sponsor.

I’m sure they would, but there is more to life than money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I’m sure they would, but there is more to life than money. 

I couldn't agree more with that statement. But then we both know that football in general doesn't work like that. I wish it did but it doesn't. It would take a pretty big shift in overall thought process for clubs to be able to throw away shirt sponsorship money and be immediately sustainable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I couldn't agree more with that statement. But then we both know that football in general doesn't work like that. I wish it did but it doesn't. It would take a pretty big shift in overall thought process for clubs to be able to throw away shirt sponsorship money and be immediately sustainable.

As a club, we are already pretty good at throwing away money!

it would be good to find an alternative sponsor but it’s a strange area. On the one hand we had Ramsdens, a local company but not particularly prestigious, now we’ve got Redthingy who seem to sponsor half the clubs in the league.

i remember years ago doing some filming with the boss of a company called dialaphone back in 2004. It was 2 days after we had won the Carling cup. 

He was very happy to have the companies logo on all the back pages and I asked him why he decided to sponsor us, what was the connection?

He said none whatsoever, there were 3 teams available for sponsorship at a certain price point, one of them was Charlton, I can’t remember the other one. He chose Boro purely because he liked Juninho.

Technology companies used to sponsor a lot of football, now it’s nearly all online betting, they must be making a mint.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copying my comment on this from Twitter 😂 I'd love him back at Boro (played in his proper position this time) Won't happen though. If it's true that Barcelona want him then I doubt he'll go to another Championship club either. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20190720-114346_Twitter.jpg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to be fair that's a quality save. Bamford couldn't do much more with it, keeps it low, back across the goalie, not quite straight at him, difficult height for Bamford to get onto as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's funny how a team's fans can have completely different perceptions of a player. A year ago in a Boro shirt, if Bamford had have done that in preseason, we'd have just focused on how good the save was. Because of the season he's had at Leeds, all the focus is on the miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Leeds fans I work with think we had there eyes out with the fee we got for bamford 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zidane on Bale:

 

Quote

“Bale did not play because he is very close to an exit. We hope he can leave soon, it is even possible tomorrow. We are working to finalise his move to a new team.”

How disrespectful is that!?

I wonder where he goes next? Back to England?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Zidane on Bale:

 

How disrespectful is that!?

I wonder where he goes next? Back to England?

I read somewhere it's apparently a mistranslation, although I havent found a correct translation yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Latest Posts

    • The first session today will just be about surviving. The Aussies get a new ball in 5 or so overs I think
    • Personally I would have liked to see Stokes score more last night, fully accept the circumstances, but if we are too passive and cautious this too can assist the Aussies. One thing for certain we can not rely on Butler getting runs if he comes in early today
    • We really need both stokes and root to get a century, not too confident with the rest of the batters left
    • Well very pleased to see England close the day on 156-3. Very controlled and patient batting for most of the day from Root and Denly have gotten us to this stage. Stokes in the last hour of the day came into bat at 5 in survival mode and made 2 runs (not out) off 50 balls. The first session of tomorrow's play will decide the outcome of this test match (and the Ashes). If Stokes and Root can survive the first 8 overs of play unscathed. At which point the new ball is available to Australia. They will then have to contend with the new ball and the threats that come with it. If they can get to lunch unscathed after the new ball I think that is when the test becomes ours to lose. At this stage I'd happily take England scoring 30 runs all session if it meant losing no wickets. It will also be England's highest ever run chase if we are successful.
    • Our problem has been that we just don't score goals, we've been amongst the lowest scorers in the championship both pre and post our 1 season recently in the PL. This season, although it's early on, seems to be going the same way. While Britt does get goals, he's not what you'd call prolific, we've been set up as a defensive team for a few years now through different managers and scoring has been an added bonus to not conceding goals.
×
×
  • Create New...