oneBoro Forum
Neverbefore

Non-Boro Football

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Betting companies are heavily involved in sports, in fact it's their primary revenue stream and the whole point for them existing. Booze and fags aren't?

Cigarette companies were massively involved in sponsoring formula 1, cricket, snooker and Darts not too long ago. It’s unthinkable now.

Alcohol companies sponsorship of shirts isn’t banned, but most clubs choose not to be associated with alcohol brands through choice. They could choose to veto gambling sites in the same way. 

13 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Cigarette companies were massively involved in sponsoring formula 1, cricket, snooker and Darts not too long ago. It’s unthinkable now.

Alcohol companies sponsorship of shirts isn’t banned, but most clubs choose not to be associated with alcohol brands through choice. They could choose to veto gambling sites in the same way. 

Some countries have banned alcohol adverts, remember Liverpool playing with a C instead of Carlsberg one game. Shortly afterwards they parted ways, but Amstel sponsor the CL.

Great initiative this by Huddersfield and Paddy Power

I actually think that they can put sponsors logos on the kit the teams wear , but that replica kits should be sponsor free. I would imagine that they would sell more if that were the case as well

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Boro 86 said:

Great initiative this by Huddersfield and Paddy Power

I actually think that they can put sponsors logos on the kit the teams wear , but that replica kits should be sponsor free. I would imagine that they would sell more if that were the case as well

But again, I'm pretty sure the sponsor will factor them being on replica shirts when giving us the money. So the sponsor would give us less money if we didn't put it on them or any other merchandise like training kits and whatnot. I'm not a expert on this by any means but I'm pretty sure the club will make more money from sponsored replica kits than the extra few quid some supporters might pay if the shirt was lacking a sponsor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

But again, I'm pretty sure the sponsor will factor them being on replica shirts when giving us the money. So the sponsor would give us less money if we didn't put it on them or any other merchandise like training kits and whatnot. I'm not a expert on this by any means but I'm pretty sure the club will make more money from sponsored replica kits than the extra few quid some supporters might pay if the shirt was lacking a sponsor.

I’m sure they would, but there is more to life than money. 

Just now, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I’m sure they would, but there is more to life than money. 

I couldn't agree more with that statement. But then we both know that football in general doesn't work like that. I wish it did but it doesn't. It would take a pretty big shift in overall thought process for clubs to be able to throw away shirt sponsorship money and be immediately sustainable.

33 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I couldn't agree more with that statement. But then we both know that football in general doesn't work like that. I wish it did but it doesn't. It would take a pretty big shift in overall thought process for clubs to be able to throw away shirt sponsorship money and be immediately sustainable.

As a club, we are already pretty good at throwing away money!

it would be good to find an alternative sponsor but it’s a strange area. On the one hand we had Ramsdens, a local company but not particularly prestigious, now we’ve got Redthingy who seem to sponsor half the clubs in the league.

i remember years ago doing some filming with the boss of a company called dialaphone back in 2004. It was 2 days after we had won the Carling cup. 

He was very happy to have the companies logo on all the back pages and I asked him why he decided to sponsor us, what was the connection?

He said none whatsoever, there were 3 teams available for sponsorship at a certain price point, one of them was Charlton, I can’t remember the other one. He chose Boro purely because he liked Juninho.

Technology companies used to sponsor a lot of football, now it’s nearly all online betting, they must be making a mint.

Copying my comment on this from Twitter 😂 I'd love him back at Boro (played in his proper position this time) Won't happen though. If it's true that Barcelona want him then I doubt he'll go to another Championship club either. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20190720-114346_Twitter.jpg

• Thanks 2

to be fair that's a quality save. Bamford couldn't do much more with it, keeps it low, back across the goalie, not quite straight at him, difficult height for Bamford to get onto as well.

Yes, it's funny how a team's fans can have completely different perceptions of a player. A year ago in a Boro shirt, if Bamford had have done that in preseason, we'd have just focused on how good the save was. Because of the season he's had at Leeds, all the focus is on the miss.

The Leeds fans I work with think we had there eyes out with the fee we got for bamford 

Zidane on Bale:

“Bale did not play because he is very close to an exit. We hope he can leave soon, it is even possible tomorrow. We are working to finalise his move to a new team.”

How disrespectful is that!?

I wonder where he goes next? Back to England?

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Zidane on Bale:

How disrespectful is that!?

I wonder where he goes next? Back to England?

I read somewhere it's apparently a mistranslation, although I havent found a correct translation yet.