oneBoro Forum
Neverbefore

Non-Boro Football

So apparently if the player has a coaching role their wage doesn't count towards FFP calculations. Derby are ***.

• Wow 1

Then let us sign only playing coaches for a few years ??

12 minutes ago, Will said:

So apparently if the player has a coaching role their wage doesn't count towards FFP calculations. Derby are ***.

I think someone's just made that up to be honest.

8 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I think someone's just made that up to be honest.

"A player-coach contract though would also fall more comfortably into Financial Fair Play guidelines as part of his wages would be absorbed into the coaches budget."

19 minutes ago, Will said:

"A player-coach contract though would also fall more comfortably into Financial Fair Play guidelines as part of his wages would be absorbed into the coaches budget."

I stand corrected this is from the EFL guidelines:

18. Some Clubs appoint Players to other roles e.g. manager or coach.  So as to avoid Clubs seeking to load salary payments in favour of the second role, the payments under both roles will be amalgamated and 50% of the total will be attributed as Player Related Expenditure for the purposes of determining compliance with the SCMP Requirement.

So do managers/coaches wages not go towards FFP at all? Seems like an odd exemption...

1 hour ago, Will said:

It is almost comical at this point.

I'm still staggered they can afford to spend £40k a week on wages, never mind the £80k they will actually give him. Not even thinking about FFP, they've gone mad. They can surely spend their money better than that.

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm still staggered they can afford to spend £40k a week on wages, never mind the £80k they will actually give him. Not even thinking about FFP, they've gone mad. They can surely spend their money better than that.

They're covering half of his wages with a sponsorship deal, the other half will be written off as coaches wages.

• Wow 1

2 minutes ago, Will said:

They're covering half of his wages with a sponsorship deal, the other half will be written off as coaches wages.

I'm surprised they're the only ones looking at it if that's how they're doing it. Unless the sponsorship deal isn't based on Rooney joining? That's what I thought you meant.

41 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm surprised they're the only ones looking at it if that's how they're doing it. Unless the sponsorship deal isn't based on Rooney joining? That's what I thought you meant.

It’s probably the owners company that’s sponsoring them ?

Posted (edited)

Its all to do with Mel trying to make Derby a global 'brand'. Has got a lucrative sponsorship fund for being able to get Wayne Rooney in a Derby football top + advertisement etc. It's purely financial related as he won't officially sign until January to be able to play, and will continue in the American league however all advertisement will happen from now. Have to say from a marketing ploy, it's innovative. 

Edited by FamilyBoro

1 hour ago, Will said:

Smart people if indeed they can work it like that ?

It's very much sour grapes but I hope it all blows up in their face and they end up in some serious financial situation