oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

2 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/efl-statement-wigan-athletic/

Wigan will face a deduction this season if they finish outside the relegation zone

They are currently 8 points ahead of the drop zone so will need to gain another 4-5 over those in the relegation zone if the 12 points deduction comes into effect.

• Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

in terms of staying in the division, their remaining fixtures mean they can pick up the necessary points to obtain the 12 point gap they will need, think they play basically everyone in the bottom 7 or 8 except us.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

in terms of staying in the division, their remaining fixtures mean they can pick up the necessary points to obtain the 12 point gap they will need, think they play basically everyone in the bottom 7 or 8 except us.

Also I didn't know that they only got taken over 4 weeks ago. How bad is the fit and proper owners test?

FOUR WEEKS!? Incredible. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe a points deduction shouldn't be applied because of financial expectations during a pandemic. Incredible that the first club going into administration can't even blame the pandemic on their crisis, we were already in the midst of it when they took over. Christ.

5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Also I didn't know that they only got taken over 4 weeks ago. How bad is the fit and proper owners test?

I don't think you can blame the new owners for this. Wigan have had financial issues for a fair while. They posted a loss of over £26 Million the season they were in League 1. 

1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

A lot of teams could be in big trouble, partly due to the COVID mesures taken. It would be incredibly unfair for the league to start docking points from teams in these unprecedented times. I know it would help us as a club, but it’s so harsh, especially as other teams may well go the same way. 

I couldn't agree more. 

I know you are supposed to look after your own club but if its proven they have gone into administration because of COVID then that's completely unfair to deduct them pts for this season imo.

Having said that I would be all over signing Cedric Kipre regardless. Rumours have it that he's on our scouting radar.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

FOUR WEEKS!? Incredible. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe a points deduction shouldn't be applied because of financial expectations during a pandemic. Incredible that the first club going into administration can't even blame the pandemic on their crisis, we were already in the midst of it when they took over. Christ.

Wow that’s harsh. 

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I don't think you can blame the new owners for this. Wigan have had financial issues for a fair while. They posted a loss of over £26 Million the season they were in League 1. 

But surely isn't this what new owners should avoid? What's the point in new owners that can't actually financially help the club?

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I wonder do these new owners come in with the sole intention of a property grab? Let them go into a season or two of administration and "Bury" (pardon the pun) them. Leaving them as owners with the DW Stadium to sell on or knock down for luxury apartments. Why else take over a few weeks ago if you never had the means to maintain it?

3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I wonder do these new owners come in with the sole intention of a property grab? Let them go into a season or two of administration and "Bury" (pardon the pun) them. Leaving them as owners with the DW Stadium to sell on or knock down for luxury apartments. Why else take over a few weeks ago if you never had the means to maintain it?

Don't they share the stadium with Wigan Warriors?

4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

But surely isn't this what new owners should avoid? What's the point in new owners that can't actually financially help the club?

I also think they took over in November 2018? Not 4 weeks ago?

Without looking into the details too much. I imagine the new owners believed they could lower the expenditure of the club when they came in. They haven't exactly sold anyone for big money, then on top of it all they've taken a hit due to the virus. Sometimes (Most of the time) in business people have grand plans, that completely fail, this is probably an example of that. 

So Wigan are now 6 points behind us and we have a game in hand. This is a massive boost to our own hopes. Feel sorry for the Wigan fans though, but it won't be the last club to enter administration. You would think that new owners just 4 weeks ago would be well aware of the situation.

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Don't they share the stadium with Wigan Warriors?

I thought they own it and rent it to Wigan Warriors as an extra income? Didn't Dave Whelan build/buy it for the club?