oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

2 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I also think they took over in November 2018? Not 4 weeks ago?

Without looking into the details too much. I imagine the new owners believed they could lower the expenditure of the club when they came in. They haven't exactly sold anyone for big money, then on top of it all they've taken a hit due to the virus. Sometimes (Most of the time) in business people have grand plans, that completely fail, this is probably an example of that. 

Wigan fan on reddit said they had a takeover 4 weeks ago, I figured he'd know better than me.

• Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I couldn't agree more. 

I know you are supposed to look after your own club but if its proven they have gone into administration because of COVID then that's completely unfair to deduct them pts for this season imo.

Having said that I would be all over signing Cedric Kipre regardless. Rumours have it that he's on our scouting radar.

But we were already in the midst of this pandemic and football was already coming back when they took over.

Don't get me wrong, the EFL are absolutely pathetic. These owners should not be in charge of Wigan Athletic and I wish they'd stop sanctioning owners with their shoddy fit and proper test. But the owners themselves knew what they were buying into and cannot blame the current climate for not being able to prevent administration, the owners are supposed to be able to run the club for what... 2 years by themselves when taking over? They couldn't last longer than a month!

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Wigan fan on reddit said they had a takeover 4 weeks ago, I figured he'd know better than me.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2018/november/international-entertainment-corporation-complete-takeover-of-wigan-athletic-football-club/

Found an article on the Wigan site. I would have been very surprised if it was 4 weeks ago!

5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Without looking into the details too much. I imagine the new owners believed they could lower the expenditure of the club when they came in. They haven't exactly sold anyone for big money, then on top of it all they've taken a hit due to the virus. Sometimes (Most of the time) in business people have grand plans, that completely fail, this is probably an example of that. 

I imagine that the new owners are essentially the same as the old owners.  But I do have one hell of an imagination!

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'd like to know just how much of hit the crisis has cost them. Is it five home games without crowds? Surely that can't be too much considering they still have the season ticket money, TV money, sponsorships and they only generate approximately 10k for home games so beer/food sales won't be huge when you subtract all expenditures relating to hosting a match.  I really fail to see where clubs lose huge amounts of money due to playing behind closed doors.

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2018/november/international-entertainment-corporation-complete-takeover-of-wigan-athletic-football-club/

Found an article on the Wigan site. I would have been very surprised if it was 4 weeks ago!

They sold to 'another party' on at the beginning of June this year.

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I imagine that the new owners are essentially the same as the old owners.  But I do have one hell of an imagination!

As we all know most football owners tend to be the same. All seem to make the same mistakes too!

4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I'd like to know just how much of hit the crisis has cost them. Is it five home games without crowds? Surely that can't be too much considering they still have the season ticket money, TV money, sponsorships and they only generate approximately 10k for home games so beer/food sales won't be huge when you subtract all expenditures relating to hosting a match.  I really fail to see where clubs lose huge amounts of money due to playing behind closed doors.

Think losing huge sums of money every week regardless of a global pandemic is probably the cause. 

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

As we all know most football owners tend to be the same. All seem to make the same mistakes too!

In this case I believe they actually are the same though 🙂

2 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Think losing huge sums of money every week regardless of a global pandemic is probably the cause. 

Yes, that is the problem, and not going without crowds for a handful of home games.