oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

12 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Just seen one of the Copenhagen defenders linked to Villa,   ...Victor Nelsson ... is he the sort of lad who would suit them, or just paper talk 

Huge talent. Don't think he is strong enough for the Prem yet, but that will surely come. Very good on the ball. He is certainly destined for a bigger league. I would have guessed Bundesliga as his next step. It's not hard to see why there is interest in him.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Hope it works out for him.....can just imagine the newspaper lads preparing their stories about him "having a blinder" or helping Villa to victory....just hope that he doesn't end up with a team-mate called Hardy...I know that it it every players dream to pay at the highest level possible...but at his age, I think regular first team football is better than being a squad guy at one of the money clubs

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

Why exactly is the government to blame and what would you have it do? 

I mean, the government makes the calls which is refusing the clubs revenue. That's why they are to blame for that lost revenue. The clubs themselves want to get the people back in but they're not being allowed to, despite positive feedback on how they've set themselves up to handle fans being back in the stadiums.

Not to say it's the safest environment, you can't make any environment entirely COVID secure if people from different households are meeting and crossing one another. Which is why the government is trying to put some things into lockdown again and yes, when it comes to keeping people alive I am definitely for that.

Though why it is the stadiums who are having to take the hit whilst pubs are still open until 10pm, where some are just heading to the offy to get more booze and crowding out onto the streets and public transport after curfew hits, I just don't know. The concern with stadiums was apparently people outside the grounds but the pubs are having that exact same issue, there's just a whole lot more of them in relatively small distances from one another. Why is it one rule for football clubs and another rule for pubs?

17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean, the government makes the calls which is refusing the clubs revenue. That's why they are to blame for that lost revenue. The clubs themselves want to get the people back in but they're not being allowed to, despite positive feedback on how they've set themselves up to handle fans being back in the stadiums.

Not to say it's the safest environment, you can't make any environment entirely COVID secure if people from different households are meeting and crossing one another. Which is why the government is trying to put some things into lockdown again and yes, when it comes to keeping people alive I am definitely for that.

Though why it is the stadiums who are having to take the hit whilst pubs are still open until 10pm, where some are just heading to the offy to get more booze and crowding out onto the streets and public transport after curfew hits, I just don't know. The concern with stadiums was apparently people outside the grounds but the pubs are having that exact same issue, there's just a whole lot more of them in relatively small distances from one another. Why is it one rule for football clubs and another rule for pubs?

More people drink booze than watch football games.

20 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

More people drink booze than watch football games.

That would suggest this government actually cares more about the pounds coming in than the safety of people, though. So why would they pull up on the idea of having people attend stadiums? It seems like a confused mess to me, though that isn't exactly a shock.

36 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That would suggest this government actually cares more about the pounds coming in than the safety of people, though. So why would they pull up on the idea of having people attend stadiums? It seems like a confused mess to me, though that isn't exactly a shock.

Well money is possibly part because they don't want the hospitality industry to collapse.  But the cynic in me suspects that the more important thing is popularity and votes.  I feel like there's some kind of quote out there about if you're going to make the people unhappy then at least let them drink, but I can't place it at all, so it might be one I've thought up myself.  I'd say it's that kind of thing though.  People are in sort of lockdown again, the economy has tanked and there's no end in sight, but at least the masses can still go to the pub.

Must be awful to be a Premiership team supporter at the moment...Spurs being forced to play so many games that they can't field strong teams all the time and Man City are having to play teams that won't attack them all the time....and we think we have problems, we just don't know how lucky we are

I wonder if the PL/EFL could implement a system similar to what China introduced, (started dodgy but bare with me).

Any transfer that is over 45 Million Yen (for foreign players) or 20 Million Yen (for domestic players), the club have to pay a 100% tax to a development fund. I like that idea but I think it wouldn't work for us (PL/EFL), so I'd propose something like this.

Every domestic transfer in the UK is subjected to 20% VAT, transfers involving clubs outside the UK are VAT exempt. I wonder if every transfer that is completed involving foreign clubs we could tax our clubs 20% and put it in a PL/EFL fund. That fund could then use the 20% transfer tax that's collected, for grass roots development etc. Could also ring-fence some of those funds as a contingency fund in case of an event like we've seen during this pandemic, where that fund is used to support teams financially. Obviously I don't think something like that would get much traction with our clubs as it would mean them having to pay more. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Well money is possibly part because they don't want the hospitality industry to collapse.  But the cynic in me suspects that the more important thing is popularity and votes.  I feel like there's some kind of quote out there about if you're going to make the people unhappy then at least let them drink, but I can't place it at all, so it might be one I've thought up myself.  I'd say it's that kind of thing though.  People are in sort of lockdown again, the economy has tanked and there's no end in sight, but at least the masses can still go to the pub.

I don’t think the issue is just about people inside the stadium although some of the larger clubs have huge crowds but more about how they travel to and from. Imagine fans traveling across the country as opposed to pubs which are local to the area ie lock down flair ups in local areas lock down. Let’s be honest, how many pubs are full to the brim especially during the week or the month that matter. Now come payday that may increase numbers but it’s still localized. 
Out of all the government’s worldwide at least ours is trying to help out. Mmm unfortunately for me as a new business start up I don’t qualify for anything, not a bean. 

• Like 2
On 9/27/2020 at 6:43 PM, sanddancer said:

I’m dumping Virgin because I’m sick and tired of being roped in and paying for packages I don’t need or watch. Ever noticed you can’t just have packages that you want without have another bolt on. For years I have paid £120 plus a month and only recently in the past year or so dropped to £72 a month. 
I am just keeping my internet speed at 200 and bounce  around the VPN and dodgy channels. 

Fate! Since posting I lost my reliable dodgy channels.. missed all the weekend games and tonight’s pool v Arsenal.... Adam believe it. 

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

They are always watching you, sanddancer 😨

I can’t get it out my head but there was a song by two wacky blokes that hit the charts way way back about watching you. I think they wore long leather coats.. 

2 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I can’t get it out my head but there was a song by two wacky blokes that hit the charts way way back about watching you. I think they wore long leather coats.. 

Don't think I recognise it unless it's this by Hall and Oates:

Or this one, which had a wacko involved but not someone wacky