Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Neverbefore

Non-Boro Football

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Just seen one of the Copenhagen defenders linked to Villa,   ...Victor Nelsson ... is he the sort of lad who would suit them, or just paper talk 

Huge talent. Don't think he is strong enough for the Prem yet, but that will surely come. Very good on the ball. He is certainly destined for a bigger league. I would have guessed Bundesliga as his next step. It's not hard to see why there is interest in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope it works out for him.....can just imagine the newspaper lads preparing their stories about him "having a blinder" or helping Villa to victory....just hope that he doesn't end up with a team-mate called Hardy...I know that it it every players dream to pay at the highest level possible...but at his age, I think regular first team football is better than being a squad guy at one of the money clubs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

Why exactly is the government to blame and what would you have it do? 

I mean, the government makes the calls which is refusing the clubs revenue. That's why they are to blame for that lost revenue. The clubs themselves want to get the people back in but they're not being allowed to, despite positive feedback on how they've set themselves up to handle fans being back in the stadiums.

Not to say it's the safest environment, you can't make any environment entirely COVID secure if people from different households are meeting and crossing one another. Which is why the government is trying to put some things into lockdown again and yes, when it comes to keeping people alive I am definitely for that.

Though why it is the stadiums who are having to take the hit whilst pubs are still open until 10pm, where some are just heading to the offy to get more booze and crowding out onto the streets and public transport after curfew hits, I just don't know. The concern with stadiums was apparently people outside the grounds but the pubs are having that exact same issue, there's just a whole lot more of them in relatively small distances from one another. Why is it one rule for football clubs and another rule for pubs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean, the government makes the calls which is refusing the clubs revenue. That's why they are to blame for that lost revenue. The clubs themselves want to get the people back in but they're not being allowed to, despite positive feedback on how they've set themselves up to handle fans being back in the stadiums.

Not to say it's the safest environment, you can't make any environment entirely COVID secure if people from different households are meeting and crossing one another. Which is why the government is trying to put some things into lockdown again and yes, when it comes to keeping people alive I am definitely for that.

Though why it is the stadiums who are having to take the hit whilst pubs are still open until 10pm, where some are just heading to the offy to get more booze and crowding out onto the streets and public transport after curfew hits, I just don't know. The concern with stadiums was apparently people outside the grounds but the pubs are having that exact same issue, there's just a whole lot more of them in relatively small distances from one another. Why is it one rule for football clubs and another rule for pubs?

More people drink booze than watch football games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

More people drink booze than watch football games.

That would suggest this government actually cares more about the pounds coming in than the safety of people, though. So why would they pull up on the idea of having people attend stadiums? It seems like a confused mess to me, though that isn't exactly a shock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That would suggest this government actually cares more about the pounds coming in than the safety of people, though. So why would they pull up on the idea of having people attend stadiums? It seems like a confused mess to me, though that isn't exactly a shock.

Well money is possibly part because they don't want the hospitality industry to collapse.  But the cynic in me suspects that the more important thing is popularity and votes.  I feel like there's some kind of quote out there about if you're going to make the people unhappy then at least let them drink, but I can't place it at all, so it might be one I've thought up myself.  I'd say it's that kind of thing though.  People are in sort of lockdown again, the economy has tanked and there's no end in sight, but at least the masses can still go to the pub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be awful to be a Premiership team supporter at the moment...Spurs being forced to play so many games that they can't field strong teams all the time and Man City are having to play teams that won't attack them all the time....and we think we have problems, we just don't know how lucky we are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the PL/EFL could implement a system similar to what China introduced, (started dodgy but bare with me).

Any transfer that is over 45 Million Yen (for foreign players) or 20 Million Yen (for domestic players), the club have to pay a 100% tax to a development fund. I like that idea but I think it wouldn't work for us (PL/EFL), so I'd propose something like this.

Every domestic transfer in the UK is subjected to 20% VAT, transfers involving clubs outside the UK are VAT exempt. I wonder if every transfer that is completed involving foreign clubs we could tax our clubs 20% and put it in a PL/EFL fund. That fund could then use the 20% transfer tax that's collected, for grass roots development etc. Could also ring-fence some of those funds as a contingency fund in case of an event like we've seen during this pandemic, where that fund is used to support teams financially. Obviously I don't think something like that would get much traction with our clubs as it would mean them having to pay more. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Well money is possibly part because they don't want the hospitality industry to collapse.  But the cynic in me suspects that the more important thing is popularity and votes.  I feel like there's some kind of quote out there about if you're going to make the people unhappy then at least let them drink, but I can't place it at all, so it might be one I've thought up myself.  I'd say it's that kind of thing though.  People are in sort of lockdown again, the economy has tanked and there's no end in sight, but at least the masses can still go to the pub.

I don’t think the issue is just about people inside the stadium although some of the larger clubs have huge crowds but more about how they travel to and from. Imagine fans traveling across the country as opposed to pubs which are local to the area ie lock down flair ups in local areas lock down. Let’s be honest, how many pubs are full to the brim especially during the week or the month that matter. Now come payday that may increase numbers but it’s still localized. 
Out of all the government’s worldwide at least ours is trying to help out. Mmm unfortunately for me as a new business start up I don’t qualify for anything, not a bean. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 6:43 PM, sanddancer said:

I’m dumping Virgin because I’m sick and tired of being roped in and paying for packages I don’t need or watch. Ever noticed you can’t just have packages that you want without have another bolt on. For years I have paid £120 plus a month and only recently in the past year or so dropped to £72 a month. 
I am just keeping my internet speed at 200 and bounce  around the VPN and dodgy channels. 

Fate! Since posting I lost my reliable dodgy channels.. missed all the weekend games and tonight’s pool v Arsenal.... Adam believe it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news...anyone with BT sport can cheer on Slavia Prague on Wednesday against the barbarian hordes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

They are always watching you, sanddancer 😨

I can’t get it out my head but there was a song by two wacky blokes that hit the charts way way back about watching you. I think they wore long leather coats.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I can’t get it out my head but there was a song by two wacky blokes that hit the charts way way back about watching you. I think they wore long leather coats.. 

Don't think I recognise it unless it's this by Hall and Oates:

Or this one, which had a wacko involved but not someone wacky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • I've started getting ads that close around the entire border of the phone. So when I go to click on the circle or star to see next unread comments, I accidentally click on it. Some Gillette advert. Though this is the only issue I've had in ages.  
    • The good news is that matches are not decided on current form or there'd be no need for bookies, or anything. That's what we all love about the game its unpredictability...  If we perform we'll gain some sort of result.
    • He's been doing it every game as a bit of reverse psychology. However for this game I think a defeat is probably an accurate prediction.  Swansea are playing well and are very attacking.  We tend to struggle with teams that are fast on the counter attack. 
    • Only way to make them think twice is to start dishing out suspensions for simulation..  thought he'd been hit by a sniper
    • TUESDAY 1ST DECEMBER Cardiff City v Huddersfield Town - D Birmingham City v Barnsley - H AFC Bournemouth v Preston North End - H Derby County v Coventry City - D Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City - A Rotherham United v Brentford - A   WEDNESDAY 2ND DECEMBER Blackburn Rovers v Millwall - D Luton Town v Norwich City - A Middlesbrough v Swansea City - D Nottingham Forest v Watford - A Sheffield Wednesday v Reading - H Wycombe Wanderers v Stoke City - A
×
×
  • Create New...