oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

16 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I can't regard anyone who cheats as "great".

Skilful maybe...but his bad points outweighed any good he may have had. Never even had the decency to apologise. Refused to accept he cheated until his...well...today...

I will always consider him an embarrassment to the game rather than a "great" - as much for his off-field antics as anything he did on the pitch. 

Is that just because he cheated againt England? Because you'll be hard pressed to find any great who hasn't handballed delibately, dived, feigned injury etc. It doesn't take away how good a footballer someone is overall! Give over and get over it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Not as big a cheat as Ronaldo, but still tarnished his image to the extent that even Argentinians think Messi and Di Stefano were his equal in many respects and superior in others... he still ranks as one of the games most skilful players and I for one appreciate the good things he did on the pitch 

Absolutely one of the greatest players ever to play the game. As for the cheating it would only have elevated him higher in folklore to the Argentinians (only 4 short years after the Falklands conflict) And i still consider Henry truly brilliant regardless of what he did against Ireland

Trod  the line between genius and villain as often the case. 

19 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Absolutely one of the greatest players ever to play the game. As for the cheating it would only have elevated him higher in folklore to the Argentinians (only 4 short years after the Falklands conflict) And i still consider Henry truly brilliant regardless of what he did against Ireland

Trod  the line between genius and villain as often the case. 

I'm Irish and Henry is the best player who's played in the premier League imo. Doesn't cloud my judgment on him whatsoever. Best had all the same off field issues and is also one of the greatest.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

I'm Irish and Henry is the best player who's played in the premier League imo. Doesn't cloud my judgment on him whatsoever. Best had all the same off field issues and is also one of the greatest.

A lot of the greats did. George Best, Gazza,  Mike Tyson, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O’Sullivan.

• Like 1

Between him and Messi for the best ever in my opinion, Messi for longevity but he's never hit the heights that Diego did in 86'. 

I remember Bobby Robson describe him as the best he'd ever seen and he saw a lot of great players. He said that in his prime he literally made the right decision every time on the pitch, he never dribbled when the pass was on and vice versa. 

If I could have any player in my team in their prime for a one off game it would be him.

Never liked Maradona as a person, and the documentaries I've watched about him have only reinforced my antipathy. Being a good footballer doesn't excuse you being a cheat, a junkie, choosing awful friends and not acting as a particularly nice human being (in his later years).

Can I also take a moment to acknowledge the idiocy of Americans, who have got Madonna trending on Twitter, because they can't tell the difference between Madonna and Maradona. Loads of people thinking the Queen of Pop has died and writing gushing tributes. She'll be shocked next time she logs on to discover her tragic demise, though at least she'll know she was loved.

• Haha 2
44 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Never liked Maradona as a person, and the documentaries I've watched about him have only reinforced my antipathy. Being a good footballer doesn't excuse you being a cheat, a junkie, choosing awful friends and not acting as a particularly nice human being (in his later years).

All that is true, my dad hated him for years after 86 but that doesn't take away his genius on the pitch. 

I've got no love for him as a person but I admire his ability with a football. Its like most geniuses they are completely flawed individuals but still geniuses non the less. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

People accuse Boro fans of negativity.  I'm just listening to Talksport and the first caller wants Klopp out 🙂

Reckon he'll be a decent successor to Warnock when he retires after getting us promoted. Gibson will want to interview the playing staff first of course, make sure the best man for the job gets it.

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Reckon he'll be a decent successor to Warnock when he retires after getting us promoted. Gibson will want to interview the playing staff first of course, make sure the best man for the job gets it.

Can't have Middlesbrough on Rhine 👎

11 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

So that'll be one of his mates who runs a local Sunday league team then?

• Like 1