oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

3 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

In my case its mainly as an agent for Product Manufacturers for the UK and European markets along with some Consultancy and Training. The prospect of a no deal Brexit now looks to be the final nail in the coffin. Coincidentally my Irish Customers are the ones who have kept me just about afloat in all of this over the last nine months.

I don't want to go into (yet another) brexit discussion on this site, but I really feel the UK and NI is going to wake up one day next year with a serious sense of regret. It could be a long time before this all rights itself. Businesses like yours are going to bear the brunt and I fear there will be a migration of capital, opportunities and jobs to mainland Europe or (the republic of) Ireland. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Ryan Shotton has signed for Melbourne Victory big life change for him. I thought he wanted to move back home to the Midlands. Building a good side are Melbourne with Gestede and Shotton 🤪

Also have ex-Boro midfielder Jacob Butterfield on their books too.

21 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Sandancer I have a similar story to yours having started a Business just over a year ago. Not had a penny from Rishi Sunak and living off rapidly diminishing savings with no chance of ever topping them back up to the same level anytime soon. I'm really angry (vitriolic in fact) that I have paid taxes and NI all my working life and hearing that some people getting £2.5K per month on furlough whilst others like myself are are getting zilch. 

I actually applied for a Job two weeks ago and interviewed only to be told I was "overqualified" (euphemism for too old). I have missed my Mother's Birthday (97) and now will miss her round my Christmas table. Fed up, pig sick and with the Pubs shut I can't even drown my sorrows. Like you say though stopping and quitting isn't an option, just have to keep on going for as long as we can afford to. Again like yourself I can't remember the last time I slept for more than two or three hours. Meantime the good news is that the furlough scheme is being extended to April next year, great if you can get it but still the forgotten remain ignored and forgotten.

Hang in there buddy.. Wish you well. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Sorry to hear about your troubles, mate.  I think we could end up in another full lockdown in January so your opening could be delayed unfortunately.  What does your business do?

We provide turnkey business to business and business to client Catering Services  to industry, as in manufacturing, ports, construction, medical and sports venues etc. Interest in the service is very high but because of the current environment so are the risks. Mitigation means we drastically scale back from committing to opening additional premises and concentrate on promotional activities to create awareness. We are also accelerating the implementation of analytical reporting and control. 
Just in case cash runs out, where is the nearest food bank 😂

• Like 2
On 12/17/2020 at 9:47 PM, Redcar Rioja said:

Sandancer I have a similar story to yours having started a Business just over a year ago. Not had a penny from Rishi Sunak and living off rapidly diminishing savings with no chance of ever topping them back up to the same level anytime soon. I'm really angry (vitriolic in fact) that I have paid taxes and NI all my working life and hearing that some people getting £2.5K per month on furlough whilst others like myself are are getting zilch. 

I actually applied for a Job two weeks ago and interviewed only to be told I was "overqualified" (euphemism for too old). I have missed my Mother's Birthday (97) and now will miss her round my Christmas table. Fed up, pig sick and with the Pubs shut I can't even drown my sorrows. Like you say though stopping and quitting isn't an option, just have to keep on going for as long as we can afford to. Again like yourself I can't remember the last time I slept for more than two or three hours. Meantime the good news is that the furlough scheme is being extended to April next year, great if you can get it but still the forgotten remain ignored and forgotten.

Ouch.

I've heard quite a few similar stories and they're all people who recently decided to go into business for themselves (usually just a few months before the pandemic hit).

Something to do with having to be able to provide financial records for the last tax year or something (proof you're not trying to scam the system) and being able to show Covid has seriously impacted your trading?

I can't imagine how tough it must be for guys like yourself and Sanddancer.

I know the Chancellor has always said he wouldn't be able to save every job or business, but thats no consolation when you are one of those people affected.

If you didn't qualify for SEISS, maybe you could look into Universal Credit? Its not much, but its got to be better than nothing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

If you didn't qualify for SEISS, maybe you could look into Universal Credit? Its not much, but its got to be better than nothing.

Unfortunately if you set up as a Limited Company you can't apply for SEISS and as for Universal Credit the amount wouldn't be worth it versus trying to keep the business afloat. 

• Sad 1
23 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Unfortunately if you set up as a Limited Company you can't apply for SEISS and as for Universal Credit the amount wouldn't be worth it versus trying to keep the business afloat. 

True. There is no means of any support and I should know because I have searched over the past two years. Basically come back when you are stone broke and we may be able to help. 
The thing is, if you are broke there is a safety net of sort, although some think it a right and a way of life. If you are lucky enough to have wads of cash it’s fairly likely you can make it work and increase your wealth. Unfortunately then there is the middle ground were you risk everything you worked hard for and invest. Fact being 60% of start ups fail in the first year and +80% never make it to the fifth year. 
The stakes are high and the odds are against you but, if you have a good business case and robust business plan, recognise the risks and mitigation them maybe, just maybe you may JUST make a living. 
Look the way I see it you can either sit around, do nothing until your money runs out, or put trust in your ability, work hard and try. I am not afraid of work, fact I like the challenge. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

Look the way I see it you can either sit around, do nothing until your money runs out, or put trust in your ability, work hard and try. I am not afraid of work, fact I like the challenge. 

That's it in a nutshell.

• Like 1