• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Horrible injury to Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio, stretchered off after extensive treatment. I hope it’s notas bad as it looks. 

Late offside flag before the injury wasn't it?

The exact thing you've been saying will lead to a bad injury is exactly what appears to have happened here.

15 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

The exact thing you've been saying will lead to a bad injury is exactly what appears to have happened here.

I think this is a really harsh view of the situation.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1371578764333879305?s=19

Even in normal situations, assuming the linesman flagged a second earlier, the whistle would have blown after the injury.

I do think that it's a situation that genuinely needs addressing, as injuries have and will happen because of linesmen not flagging, but I'm not sure that this is really one of those situations.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Yes this has always been my fear, this call wasn’t as late as some but it’s a horrible example of players playing on at full tilt and getting hurt unnecessarily.

• Like 1

Come on. You can't blame the rules or the refs for freak accidents. That accident could also have happened if the player was onside. It's just one of those things in a contact sport. Very bad luck. I agree that there is no need not to raise the flag when players are blatantly offside, but let's not use freak accidents as a measure of how bad the rules are.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Come on. You can't blame the rules or the refs for freak accidents. That accident could also have happened if the player was onside. It's just one of those things in a contact sport. Very bad luck. I agree that there is no need not to raise the flag when players are blatantly offside, but let's not use freak accidents as a measure of how bad the rules are.

Whoa, cool your jets! 😉

For what it's worth I only saw it once, but just in my option, I do think an early offside flag causes the covering defender (Coady?) to slow his run right down. I'll try and post the angle I saw and you'll see the linesman is in prime position to call it offside once Salah touches the ball.

Edit: The angle I saw...

I agree that if the flag had gone up straight away play would probably have slowed down. Regardless I really do fear that more of these incidents will happen if we don’t revise the offside protocol.

What is the point of having linesmen if they don’t flag for offside? 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I agree that if the flag had gone up straight away play would probably have slowed down. Regardless I really do fear that more of these incidents will happen if we don’t revise the offside protocol.

What is the point of having linesmen if they don’t flag for offside? 

But these accidents also happen when the player is onside. Accidents happen in a contact sport. Do you also want to abolish the advantage rule because injuries might occour that wouldn't have happened if the ref had blown for a free kick instead of letting play continue?

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

But these accidents also happen when the player is onside. Accidents happen in a contact sport. Do you also want to abolish the advantage rule because injuries might occour that wouldn't have happened if the ref had blown for a free kick instead of letting play continue?

No, that’s not the point at all. Even the commentary team last night were in agreement that the offside should have been called and that the new way of doing things was responsible for play going on.

Your point about the advantage rule is classic whataboutery and quite frankly pretty dumb. 

1 minute ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

No

But at some point in the future I reckon we are going to have an injury because the ref let play continue 🙂 

13 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Whoa, cool your jets! 😉

For what it's worth I only saw it once, but just in my option, I do think an early offside flag causes the covering defender (Coady?) to slow his run right down. I'll try and post the angle I saw and you'll see the linesman is in prime position to call it offside once Salah touches the ball.

Edit: The angle I saw...

I don't really think the lack of an offside flag is to blame for an injury here, though? Or how a late offside flag is ever to blame for an injury? Because play continues when it shouldn't? But incidents like this can still happen with onside players, what relation does this have to the offside rule at all?

Replay that incident, put Salah onside, hell, put him 30 yards onside and dribbling through a ton of players to get to that position and surely Coady could just as easily injure Rui Patricio from playing on. So what has offside got to do with anything here?

Even taking this particular incident in isolation, the assistant putting his flag up earlier here doesn't 100% guarantee play slows down. Coady has to see the flag go up and/or hear the ref blow his whistle and then slow down/stop in the space of about 3 seconds. By the time the ref has blown from seeing the flag, Coady could have already injured Patricio.

The injury was obviously awful but bringing back the immediate offside flag to solve that problem feels about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I just don't understand the connection between the two things.

• Like 1