oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Just now, AnglianRed said:

Thats kind of what I was getting at with my last paragraph. It would be a huge upheaval to an existing system...therefore unlikely to happen.

You did just given me another thought though. How about we kick Swansea and Cardiff out of the EFL and make them play in the LoW? Then it would be like the SPL with those two clubs always fighting for the silverware. Wonder what their fans would think of that? 😁

You'd have to kick out Wrexham, Newport and Merthyr too.

I doubt they'd want it though, the drop in finances would be absolutely massive.

I wouldn't want them to leave either, I like them being in the same league system as English clubs.

If I could reform the leagues from scratch, I'd love a full British league, but far too much time has passed and history been created for it to be workable now.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Congrats to Leicester on winning the FA, nice to see a first time winner for a change too. Would like to see them continue to build upon this and their PL win too, which they definitely seem on course to do. 

Very clever in the transfer market, good youth academy and they've recently finished a brand new training complex (which looks immense).

I've seen/heard a lot of chatter that Derby are potentially up the creek without a paddle. Apparently they are actually in debt by a fair bit, annoyingly they still haven't released their accounts for the year ending June 19 so we don't have a definite figure for last year.

But looking at the accounts ending June 18, it looks like they owed around £25m to various creditors, apparently that figure has at least doubled (if not trebled) in two years. Plus they've sold the stadium to themselves and mortgaged their training ground in recent years. So it's no surprise there isn't a queue of potential buyers, as they'd effectively have to buy the club, potentially pay off the large debt (including the mortgage on the training ground) and buy the stadium back.

All this with the backdrop of a potential points deduction (most likely next season), due to their bizzare accounting method around amortisation on players.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I've seen/heard a lot of chatter that Derby are potentially up the creek without a paddle. Apparently they are actually in debt by a fair bit, annoyingly they still haven't released their accounts for the year ending June 19 so we don't have a definite figure for last year.

But looking at the accounts ending June 18, it looks like they owed around £25m to various creditors, apparently that figure has at least doubled (if not trebled) in two years. Plus they've sold the stadium to themselves and mortgaged their training ground in recent years. So it's no surprise there isn't a queue of potential buyers, as they'd effectively have to buy the club, potentially pay off the large debt (including the mortgage on the training ground) and buy the stadium back.

All this with the backdrop of a potential points deduction (most likely next season), due to their bizzare accounting method around amortisation on players.

Even if someone was willing to buy them, what are they buying? Genuine question. What is their academy like? What's their training ground like? Is there a future for Derby that doesn't need significant work on top of spending a lot of money just to regain ownership of assets they currently use? Even if they didn't have those debts to pay off, would we say Derby are a better prospect for someone with money than we are, for example?

18 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Even if someone was willing to buy them, what are they buying? Genuine question. What is their academy like? What's their training ground like? Is there a future for Derby that doesn't need significant work on top of spending a lot of money just to regain ownership of assets they currently use? Even if they didn't have those debts to pay off, would we say Derby are a better prospect for someone with money than we are, for example?

If you ignore everything in terms of the debt and selling the stadium to themselves etc.

Thinking of infrastructure they've got a good training ground complex, which has planning permission for improvements/expansion. Plus their stadium is almost a like for like of ours. Both of which are also slightly newer than ours. 

They have a good academy set-up which has and does still produce players of a good level. I think last season they gave more minutes to academy players than any other club in the Championship. 

Then first team I suppose they are like every other championship club, got a few good players and a lot of ok players. Their wage bill is too high (looking at the 2018 accounts) for what they earn.

They definitely have room for growth and improvement. But as you say there isn't really much difference between them and a lot of other championship clubs (ignoring all the other stuff). I'd say their academy is probably better than most and they've got a good infrastructure, with an underwhelming first team picture (in terms of performance and players). 

But I suppose as an investor you'd be looking at the potential payout of reaching the PL, which may tempt you into taking a loss on them for a 3 year spell or so. But considering all the other stuff, I think your investors with that way of thinking are being put off, due to the initial potential outlay, which will massively impact your payouts.

• Like 2

Re: Alex Scott. Personally I think she’s 100% there on merit. Vastly knowledgable and now with her pundit/journalism experience as great character too. 
Also (and this is definitely a me issue) I’ve never been too keen on Dan Walker. I just can’t believe that anyone is that nice

23 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Also (and this is definitely a me issue) I’ve never been too keen on Dan Walker. I just can’t believe that anyone is that nice

People think the same about me but I really am!

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Derby County are around 60m in debt, which is putting off any serious investors looking to make a profit off the club.

Ouch! They're definitely a project for an investor like Leicester's owners. People who are genuinely interested in football and who want to rebuild a club.

22 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Re: Alex Scott. Personally I think she’s 100% there on merit. Vastly knowledgable and now with her pundit/journalism experience as great character too. 

What...when we have Changing Times and his lad Denzel on the forum? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

It would be just like somebody buying us but we have more debt.

5 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I see all the gammons are kicking off about Alex Scott being announced as the new presenter of Football Focus.

Makes me seriously worry about this country at times when there's uproar that an ex-professional footballer with a degree in journalism and sports presenting gets a job as presenter of a football programme, purely because she happens to be female. And even more sadly because in some people's eyes, it's because she happens to be black.

These idiots kicking off about Alex Scott are clueless, she has a degree in sports journalism, 140 caps for her country captained Arsenal, she's there on merit she has the football knowledge and a good personality its an excellent choice she'll do well. 

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

These idiots kicking off about Alex Scott are clueless, she has a degree in sports journalism, 140 caps for her country captained Arsenal, she's there on merit she has the football knowledge and a good personality its an excellent choice she'll do well. 

Plus she's on everything else so it would have been weird if she hadn't got the job.

Saying that I had a quick look on Twitter and saw nothing for praise and well wishing for Alex getting the job 🤷‍♂️ 

41 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Saying that I had a quick look on Twitter and saw nothing for praise and well wishing for Alex getting the job 🤷‍♂️ 

Yeah, I havent seen any negative comments on facebook posts etc.

I think she's a good choice. Knows her football and puts her views across well. Just a nice bonus that she's easy on the old eyes as well...

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

I've struggled to find negativity on her appointment but there again maybe it depends on where you go looking.