oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

56 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The club has benefited from his cheating for years, they avoided relegation last season because he cheated, they beat us to the play-offs in 18/19 because he cheated.

The club deserves the punishment.

The fans might not, but what fans deserve has always been separate from what actually happens.

On the pitch and off.

I expect they'd struggle to implement a new rule that specifically punishes an owner's personal wealth because so many owners would understandably be against it.

Notice the words I bolded?

HE cheated therefore HE deserves the bulk of the punishment. The buck stops with the owner - they make the decisions, therefore they should be hit hardest.

I'm not just talking about Derby here - I mean any club in a similar situation.

It should also be a standard clause in the contract whenever anyone takes control of a club - be it an individual or a consortium, that the burden / consequences of any deliberate and knowing financial mismanagement will fall upon them.

If they don't like it - they don't have to accept.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

HE cheated therefore HE deserves the bulk of the punishment. The buck stops with the owner - they make the decisions, therefore they should be hit hardest.

It should also be a standard clause in the contract whenever anyone takes control of a club - be it an individual or a consortium, that the burden / consequences of any deliberate and knowing financial mismanagement will fall upon them.

So do we allow clubs to benefit from cheating? Clubs like Derby have benefited on the pitch from the decisions made by the owners.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Problem then is what do you do with the likes of Man City and PSG (as two extreme examples) whose owners seemingly have bullion vans lined up full of relative loose change. If the owners can personally afford it then their vanity projects will have a massive advantage over other clubs as they already do in the Premiership.

If the Sultan of Brunei bought Derby County and gave Rooney seven or eight hundred million next year, bought all their main competitors best players to weaken their squads by offering agents and players ridiculous amounts of remuneration then we would be in an even worse situation.

As much as I dislike Derby they just got caught before they got promoted unlike others who blatantly overspent. I seem to recall Bournemouth were adjudged to have been a bit naughty but paid a fine from their newly acquired Premiership riches. A serious deferred punishment including a points deduction lying in wait for them if they ever come back down again after promotion might deter future instances. 

I feel for the ordinary Derby fans but I feel more for the likes of Wycombe who were cheated out of another season in the Championship and a chance to establish themselves as a Championship club in the way that say Coventry have seemingly achieved, at least thus far. Arguably Villa cheated their way to the Play Off final at our expense although trying to score or even launch an attack over 180 minutes may have been more helpful to our chances.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Problem then is what do you do with the likes of Man City and PSG (as two extreme examples) whose owners seemingly have bullion vans lined up full of relative loose change. If the owners can personally afford it then their vanity projects will have a massive advantage over other clubs as they already do in the Premiership.

If the Sultan of Brunei bought Derby County and gave Rooney seven or eight hundred million next year, bought all their main competitors best players to weaken their squads by offering agents and players ridiculous amounts of remuneration then we would be in an even worse situation.

As much as I dislike Derby they just got caught before they got promoted unlike others who blatantly overspent. I seem to recall Bournemouth were adjudged to have been a bit naughty but paid a fine from their newly acquired Premiership riches. A serious deferred punishment including a points deduction lying in wait for them if they ever come back down again after promotion might deter future instances. 

I feel for the ordinary Derby fans but I feel more for the likes of Wycombe who were cheated out of another season in the Championship and a chance to establish themselves as a Championship club in the way that say Coventry have seemingly achieved, at least thus far. Arguably Villa cheated their way to the Play Off final at our expense although trying to score or even launch an attack over 180 minutes may have been more helpful to our chances.

Well thats a rather different situation. If the owners have bottomless pockets, you need to be a bit more creative.

Plus if you hand out a points deduction that relegates a club, at least they have the resources to bounce straight back.

I don't claim to have a good answer for this kind of scenario, but perhaps something like a transfer embargo, coupled with a promotion / play-off ban (the club's place would be taken by the one below) and being kicked out of all domestic cup competitions? For PL teams a points deduction as well, that would keep them out of the CL / Europa League spots?

Probably needs to be more severe than that, but just throwing some ideas out there.

There probably needs to be different rules for clubs with billionaire / consortium owners. I was just thinking about more normal clubs with relatively limited resources.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

News breaking that Jimmy Greaves has died this morning. He was long before my time but obviously one of the greats of English football. History could have been so different if he didn't get injured during the World Cup. 

Likewise he was already a legend long before I started watching football. My introduction to him was actually the Saint & Greavsie show back in the 80s.

But I have watched and read a lot about him since, about how great a player he was for club (Spurs, Chelsea, AC MIlan and West Ham) and country.

44 goals in 57 games for England is quite a record. 269 goals in 379 games for Spurs is just ridiculous!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/58615479

Rest In Peace Jimmy.

• Like 2

Greavesie was a great instinctive Striker. As a kid he was the Ronaldo of my era bearing in mind we had limited knowledge of German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian or Dutch Football let alone South American.

Apart from Pele and Eusebio we were largely ignorant of what talent there was abroad. His value in today's market at his peak doesn't bear thinking about and I doubt if Tottenham could have afforded him. He played in Italy before joining Spurs which was a rarity in those days as only a handful of British players ventured that far.

A pioneer both on and off the pitch and when his career was over he paved the way for the likes of Lineker to become TV pundits along with his buddy Ian St. John who sadly passed away just 6 months ago. RIP.

• Like 3
On 9/18/2021 at 11:09 AM, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I've been browsing the dcfcfans.co.uk forum for about an hour, then I had a nice hand shandy.

Its been a great morning

Hi I'm from DCFCfans, we were just wondering which of us you were thinking about when you were knocking one out. Come on don't be shy, you might get lucky.

X X X

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, dcfcfans.co.uk said:

Hi I'm from DCFCfans, we were just wondering which of us you were thinking about when you were knocking one out. Come on don't be shy, you might get lucky.

X X X

Sorry to disappoint you but most of us have been more concerned with our own club lately.

Though Denzel did mention he'd been taking particular pleasure in your predicament. 😉

• Haha 1