oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Sheep Dip Update: (Please note the comments are my opinion based on information that I have been receiving since 2019 and dictate a series of events that have been divulged to me. Despite the accuracies, I have made sum assumptions on the alleged intentions of the actions and these will likely differ from the actual events) 
You may have to re-read my old posts about the position Derby was in and I am sure Wayne can bring them back up if you wish to read back?
Generally though, there is no point on going on what has been said as it is all now out and with Mel’s interview today finally admitting that they are in Breach of FFP for all of the years the accounts haven’t been submitted properly, which covers the 3 years accounts 2015 – 2018/ 2018-2019 & 2019-2020. This would indicate 3 separate FFP punishments, but I will touch on that a little later. 
My understanding is that over the recent months after the results of the arbitration panel Derby were given a deadline to produce their accounts in the same fashion that is expected of them and other clubs. 
Not only did Derby not do this, but they also allegedly resubmitted accounts that were formed on a different form of amortisation, which as like the previous examples – they simply could not explain. The EFL provided a final extension of 7 days for them to supply the acceptable accounts or face a points penalty. 
The EFL went back to the arbitration panel and were told that if this was not complied with, they could have the points penalty they originally demanded through the hearing. I am guessing Derby were notified of this around the same time. As a result of this, all of the previous delaying tactics and alleged deliberate moves to push the can down the road (so to speak) were no longer possible and the EFL patience would finally be realised. 
I have said for a while Administration was on the cards, however, I have been told that how the debt is structured with the club, it is unlikely administration will have much impact. I have also had the benefit to see higher level financials provided by a party involved in the potential takeover through an NDA and it isn’t pretty. 
In respect of the club moving forward this is what I understand as now. 
Penalty Points Being Faced:. 
• 9 Points for Deliberate financial breaches. (Could now be 12 as administrators will now have to negotiate. 
• 3 Points (Suspended from panel) for late payment of wages. 
• 12 Points for administration. 
• 15 Points for Creditors Penalty not paying 25% of footballing debts. 
• 12 Points for breach of FFP for years 2015 – 2018 3 years accounts based on the correct amortisation.
• 9 Points for persistent breaches for 2018 – 2019 Accounts
• 9 Points for persistent breaches for 2019 – 2020 Accounts.
The EFL want to implement the absolute maximum on Derby, not because of a vendetta, but due to the alleged actions of Morris and Pearce whom I was told, pretty much used every trick in the book to avoid/delay/frustrate the EFL throughout this whole saga. 
It appeared they continued with this ritual of trying to re-write the rules to suit their overspending in order to avoid the inevitable punishments in expectation that promotion would mean they could have got away with a fine. (QPR, Bournemouth, Villa to name a few who have cheated and got away with it) FFP was brought in to stop exactly what they both were doing to Derby.
There are many comments from Derby fans claiming the club can take the EFL to court. This is not possible. The EFL are the jurisdiction on the rules of the football league, the courts have no jurisdiction. The accounts may well have been compliant legally for companies law, but this has no bearing on the rules of the football league. Clubs agree to compliance to the rules, it is in their articles of association.
What Next?
Morris and Derby have pretty much burnt their bridges at Derby and the announcement blaming the EFL for administration didn’t go down too well. Despite the administration I would expect the EFL to make an example of them and I expect the club will see a series of points deducted over the next two seasons (as reported in the Star) to have the maximum effect. IF the club is still here. 
Derby are now a club whom don’t own their stadium – MSD whom had the loan charge on it will have taken ownership of the company. There is a charge on the training ground also and the ownership of that will revert to the lenders. It would be my expectation that lenders will want to dispose of ASAP and will not care to whom or for what. This leaves a football club with a barebones staff, no training ground and no stadium of ownership and with guaranteed League 1 football next season with a possibility of League 2 the season after. It is going to need a miracle or a seriously generous benefactor to survive. 
My own opinion on Mel Morris – I think he is an abhorrent character, whom dodged the stadium valuation by trying to justify what other clubs are doing. He refuses to take responsibility for the way he ran Derby and continues to this day to mention Forest in order to deflect the goings on at Derby. He says this because he thinks their fans are stupid and it will garner support. M&P have run the club to the point of oblivion and have been constantly telling fans what they think they want to hear, rather than the actual goings on. Derby do have the potential to survive, the club has a healthy income driven by the enthusiastic and loyal fanbase it maybe that it rises through another phoenix club or the administrators work absolute wonders with the current debts. Although upon reading Nixon’s tweet about the administrators, that sounds like that comes from the PR Spin of M&P again….

This post from DCFCfans really suggests that Derby are in some serious, serious ***.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Brunners said:

This post from DCFCfans really suggests that Derby are in some serious, serious ***.

Yeah, they're absolutely ***. Due to EFL rules, once they go into administration they can't be bought for 28 days (in order to allow Supporter groups to make a bid) and for every month they fail to pay their players, they get a 3 point deduction, too.

Not owning their stadium or training ground is something that is seriously going to bite them in the *** and to me, it's just pure karma.

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar
  • Like 1

Basically, in short Mel Morris is a greedy *** who has screwed over the fans of a club he claimed to also be a fan of and he's going to walk away not only scott-free, but with a nice chunk of money from the sale of Derby's stadium and training facilities. 

It's the sort of absolute *** move you'd see in a screwball comedy.

• Like 1
Just now, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Basically, in short Mel Morris is a greedy *** who has screwed over the fans of a club he claimed to also be a fan of and he's going to walk away not only scott-free, but with a nice chunk of money from the sale of Derby's stadium and training facilities. 

It's the sort of absolute *** move you'd see in a screwball comedy.

Yep. It's a shame he won't face any sort of punishment at all for his role in this, really is a big flaw in all these situations, that the outgoing owner faces 0 repercussions.

Just now, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Yeah, they're absolutely ***. Due to EFL rules, once they go into administration they can't be bought for 28 days (in order to allow Supporter groups to make a bid) and for every month they fail to pay their players, they get a 3 point deduction, too.

Not owning their stadium or training ground is something that is seriously going to bite them in the *** and to me, it's just pure karma.

Karma is the truth of it. Pretty sure the fans of DCFC will have had an idea about what was going on but were quite happy to turn the other cheek at the time in the hope that they could wrangle a premiership spot.
And they did not give two hoots about any of the other clubs/fans that were screwed over because of it.
For me they should be relegated now and replaced by Wycombe. Because what happened to Wycombe is the real travesty.

• Like 1
Just now, BoroAbroad said:

Karma is the truth of it. Pretty sure the fans of DCFC will have had an idea about what was going on but were quite happy to turn the other cheek at the time in the hope that they could wrangle a premiership spot.
And they did not give two hoots about any of the other clubs/fans that were screwed over because of it.
For me they should be relegated now and replaced by Wycombe. Because what happened to Wycombe is the real travesty.

I don't really know for sure why they would have known any more than us? Plus their owners have been lying to them and I don't think its fair to pin belief of those lies on all of them. In many ways they have to trust their owners are doing right by them. It's not like fans would have had a significant enough say in the matter anyway.

The Wycombe situation is rubbish, absolutely. I wouldn't be averse to having Wycombe back in their place even though logistically I bet that would be a nightmare. Though Wycombe still have a club in League One battling for promotion to the Championship. Even in a best case scenario for Derby right now, that looks like a pipe dream. No stadium, no training ground, likely relegation two seasons running at the least. Wycombe will soon be waving down at them from up high the way things are going.

This isn't really karma for me. Karma for fans going along for that ride isn't potentially losing their club whilst the owners walk away free of any punishment. The fan response was like a couple of levels above gloating about a win on Twitter. The fans didn't choose to do this to Derby, they bought into it but I'd be shocked if any Derby fan had this laid out in plain facts that they would have agreed with the course they were taking. If they knew that failure meant potentially losing their club to the void, I'm pretty sure plenty of them would have wanted to put the handbrakes on before it got to this position.

• Like 4

ERM i wonder if Rooney would be as honourable as Strachan was regarding payments, lets face it  ERM  he has contributed enormously in thier ERM bank balance deficits and its hardly been ERM touched on,  on top of that he hasnt been any less of a  ERM management calamity than Woodgate. 

Edited by Essuuaitch

I mean maybe they didn't think it would come to it; but any football fan nowadays I think understands the potential consequence for playing the "overspend for promotion" game and failing in these days of FFP.

• Like 2
Just now, Essuuaitch said:

i wonder if Rooney would be as honourable as Strachan was regarding payments, lets face it  he has contributed enormously in thier bank balance deficits and its hardly been touched on,  on top of that he hasnt been any less of a management calamity than Woodgate. 

32Red pay his wages, don't they? Or at least a huge chunk of them.

13 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

ERM i wonder if Rooney would be as honourable as Strachan was regarding payments, lets face it  ERM  he has contributed enormously in thier ERM bank balance deficits and its hardly been ERM touched on,  on top of that he hasnt been any less of a  ERM management calamity than Woodgate. 

He's apparently been covering the entire cost of their away games this season, so fair play to him in my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1