Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football


Recommended Posts

Can't help but laugh at some of the Derby fans on their forum who think that League One will get a better TV deal than the Championship if they're relegated in to it.

Some of them seem very deluded about the modern day relevance of Derby County.

(I know you can say the same thing about some Middlesbrough fans before anyone jumps in)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 27.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Neverbefore

    1330

  • Borodane

    1254

  • Brunners

    1147

  • wilsoncgp

    965

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can't help but laugh at some of the Derby fans on their forum who think that League One will get a better TV deal than the Championship if they're relegated in to it.

Some of them seem very deluded about the modern day relevance of Derby County.

(I know you can say the same thing about some Middlesbrough fans before anyone jumps in)

Are you saying there are deluded Boro fans? 😮

 

I always thought we were a very sensible and humble lot. 😁

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can't help but laugh at some of the Derby fans on their forum who think that League One will get a better TV deal than the Championship if they're relegated in to it.

Some of them seem very deluded about the modern day relevance of Derby County.

(I know you can say the same thing about some Middlesbrough fans before anyone jumps in)

😅

Sunderland are a bigger club than them, probably a few others. There are a few teams at that level with better history during the time I've been a football fan which is about 16 years.

Bolton, Charlton, Pompey and Wigan have all spent more time in the Premier League than their singular, record-breaking 11 point season during that time. There are clubs of similar level to them who have flirted with promotion but not quite made it with Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday and even going back further, both of them had similar time in the Prem to Derby since its inception.

The idea that Derby County are going to come down and significantly bump up interest in League One is farcical.

The season after when they're in League Two, they might have more of a case. Though financially its not going to be a factor at all.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Derby think their descent to League One will raise interest in (or the profile of) the league, they're even madder than I thought. Sunderland, Sheff Wed and Ipswich are undoubtedly bigger clubs/historic teams/corporate brands than them, while it's hard to put Derby ahead of Charlton, Bolton or Portsmouth in terms of size and status. Add in the charismatic old names like Accrington, and hope-they-do-well clubs like Wycombe and AFC Wimbledon, and Derby won't stand out at all in the third tier.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

it's a sobering thought that, if you take away Cloughie's achievements, Bury had as much if not more success, and as much as I dislike Morris, I wouldn't wish their fate on anyone..  so when they reach the National League north and they are having to fight Buxton to be the biggest club in the county after Chesterfield, that will satisfy me 🙂   

Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news, we're up to 15th! Promotion charge, here we come.

In all seriousness, Derby should be docked another 12 points for EFL irregularities - it'd be a joke if three points got suspended in these circumstances. They might overturn a nine-point gap to 21st place over another 38 games, but I couldn't see them overturning a 21-point gap. Relegation is the least the club deserves - though I do retain some sympathy for the fans, who knew they were playing Icarus but went along with it because that's just what you do as a supporter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No need for that in my opinion. Already going to be loads of people losing jobs at derby since they are going into admin. Don’t see what Gibson is expecting to win from this either 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

No need for that in my opinion. Already going to be loads of people losing jobs at derby since they are going into admin. Don’t see what Gibson is expecting to win from this either 

They haven't actually been punished for cheating yet, which is the whole point of principle for Gibson.

They've had a self-inflicted 12 point deduction for administration.

They're currently only 9 points from safety, that is far from insurmountable with most of the season left, and the pressure needs to be kept up to ensure they get the punishment they're due.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

They haven't actually been punished for cheating yet, which is the whole point of principle for Gibson.

They've had a self-inflicted 12 point deduction for administration.

They're currently only 9 points from safety, that is far from insurmountable with most of the season left, and the pressure needs to be kept up to ensure they get the punishment they're due.

Well they're currently on -2 points. Another 9 point deduction would make that -11, which is currently 18 points from safety. That would be a serious amount of ground to make up and would require 3 teams above them to have pretty horrendous seasons, in order to overhaul them.

I'd rather see Mel Morris get taken for every penny he's got, or otherwise punished to the full extent of the law.

Instead he's wringing his hands and saying he's "sorry" while the club that was under his stewardship could end up going to the wall, if the administrators can't find a suitable buyer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well they're currently on -2 points. Another 9 point deduction would make that -11, which is currently 18 points from safety. That would be a serious amount of ground to make up and would require 3 teams above them to have pretty horrendous seasons, in order to overhaul them.

I'd rather see Mel Morris get taken for every penny he's got, or otherwise punished to the full extent of the law.

Instead he's wringing his hands and saying he's "sorry" while the club that was under his stewardship could end up going to the wall, if the administrators can't find a suitable buyer.

I presume the continued legal action is to ensure that 9-12 point deduction that they are due for breaching P&S is actually carried out.

It's all gone quiet since they went in to administration.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...