Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 27.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Neverbefore

    1330

  • Borodane

    1254

  • Brunners

    1147

  • wilsoncgp

    965

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Kristoffer Ajer has given an interesting insight into Brentfords recruitment. It not all just number and stats but apparently Brentford watched 123 games of Ajer before deciding to buy him. That's some thorough shizzle. I'm sure Warnock could have given a verdict based on 30 seconds though.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All the people saying "aye but where has Brentford's model actually got them, they're still in the championship" 12 months ago have gone very quiet now they're top half in the premier league and were sat in 15th of the second tier. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Derby went to the wall the only people I'd feel sorry for are the staff at the club, its never nice for anyone to lose their jobs. 

After that I couldn't care less, infact it would be pretty funny after a lot of their fans have seemed to celebrate getting one over Gibson until recently. I've got no sympathy for those fans who were happy to cheat. 

Would it actually be the end of the world as a fan if they went bust anyway? I'm sure the fans would start a new phoenix club, it took Wimbledon 9 years to get back to the league as a new club and I'm sure that would be just as exciting as treading water in league 1 and the Championship for the next decade. Id say the same if we were in their position as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

If Derby went to the wall the only people I'd feel sorry for are the staff at the club, its never nice for anyone to lose their jobs. 

After that I couldn't care less, infact it would be pretty funny after a lot of their fans have seemed to celebrate getting one over Gibson until recently. I've got no sympathy for those fans who were happy to cheat. 

Would it actually be the end of the world as a fan if they went bust anyway? I'm sure the fans would start a new phoenix club, it took Wimbledon 9 years to get back to the league as a new club and I'm sure that would be just as exciting as treading water in league 1 and the Championship for the next decade. Id say the same if we were in their position as well. 

I'm sure we'd all be thrilled at the prospect of going to watch AFC Smogboro playing Billingham Synthonia. 😂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

All the people saying "aye but where has Brentford's model actually got them, they're still in the championship" 12 months ago have gone very quiet now they're top half in the premier league and were sat in 15th of the second tier. 

Early days yet but for me the biggest thing was their last 2 seasons in the Championship. Very good side, lost arguably their 2 best players start of last season in Watkins and Benrahma and made a net profit of £50m, season before was where they really invested but still made a £5m profit mostly from selling Maupay and Konsa. All 4 of those sales could arguably have destroyed another club's chances rather than saw them reinvest and get better. Yeah they didn't get automatically promoted but getting promoted at all whilst making £55m transfer fee profit across 2 seasons? Wow.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I'm sure we'd all be thrilled at the prospect of going to watch AFC Smogboro playing Billingham Synthonia. 😂

 

It would definitely be different!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Would it actually be the end of the world as a fan if they went bust anyway? I'm sure the fans would start a new phoenix club, it took Wimbledon 9 years to get back to the league as a new club and I'm sure that would be just as exciting as treading water in league 1 and the Championship for the next decade. Id say the same if we were in their position as well. 

Really? I'd be devastated. There's no guarantees in football, just because of who we are now doesn't mean we'd enjoy our time in the lower regions of the football pyramid and what's the point of going through all that to try and get back to where we are now when we are already here and could spend the next 10 years trying to become a stable Premier League club instead?

Not only that but I'm not sure how I'd feel losing the history associated with the club. Officially speaking, our history would literally be getting written for a second time. All those players, Camsell, Mannion, Clough, Maddren, Slaven, Mogga, Hendrie, Fleming, Schwarzer, Juninho, Emerson, Boksic, Southgate, Boateng, Queudrue, Maccarone, Mendieta, Zenden, Downing, Hasselbaink, Viduka, Woodgate, Yakubu, Robson, Leadbitter, Clayton, Gibson, Kike, Bamford... and the managers too! All that, gone, no longer officially associated with the journey the club has taken.

I know you might say that sounds daft but to me it's important. Losing the club means the beginning of a new journey, to me. It means no longer supporting the same team who built what we have today and that journey is very much part of what I love about this club. I don't know if I could feel the same love towards that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd support them because otherwise I'd be without a club entirely, I'd not support Hartlepool, Darlo or anyone further afield to remain part of a club that's relevant towards the upper echelons of football. But I just don't know if it would ever be the same.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going in to League One is not the end of the world, and I'd say it's what Derby deserves after what's went on in recent years.

But it would be absolutely devastating to end up with a phoenix club and it's not something I'd wish on anyone.

Not even Sunderland.

Your continuity with over a century's worth of football and history would be gone, their titles gone, their link to the past, presumably even their name would have to go.

Wimbledon are a special circumstance where I'd like to consider them a continuation of the original club, but that's only because of the unique and disgusting events surrounding MK Don's creation.

I want Derby to get their deductions and punishments this season, and then whatever will be will be.

I was desperate for Sheffield Wednesday to go down last season, but now they've been punished and I wouldn't mind whatsoever if they came straight back up this season.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Borodane said:

Kristoffer Ajer has given an interesting insight into Brentfords recruitment. It not all just number and stats but apparently Brentford watched 123 games of Ajer before deciding to buy him. That's some thorough shizzle. I'm sure Warnock could have given a verdict based on 30 seconds though.

Brentford’s recruitment team

image.gif.0719ae7a02240db1fa270ffc2c250c20.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing devil's advocate re phoenix clubs, there are different ways of a club rebooting. Are Rangers the same club they were before the newco was formed in 2012? Are we the same club we were before 1986? AFC Wimbledon aren't the same entity they were pre-MK Dons, but everyone still treats them as the old club and references the Crazy Gang et al, even though they weren't AFC at that time.

For what it's worth, I don't want any club to fail. I had no association with Bury but I'm still sad they failed, and I hope Derby don't cease to exist either (though League Two seems a fair destination). My point is that fans can reclaim a club's heritage in a phoenix consortium, or the new club can effectively bridge a dissolution and accept reinstatement in a lower league. It's rarely the case that a club fails and that's it gone forever, though Bury do appear to be the inglorious exception to that rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...