oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

8 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I checked and corrected to 39 miles 👍

I would agree that it won’t but it will certainly improve the infrastructure around Newcastle driving up property prices, commercial rents and developing social outlets. 

Ah well, from a personal perspective lets hope that the property price increase comes as far south as Chester Le Street, that way if either of us are right I will be a happy man.

• Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JonnyMFC said:

Whilst Newcastle fans are in the majority are self entitled twits, now they are going to be intollerable self entitled twits!

Do you think that this buyout is going to have a postive knock on effect for Sunderland and us?  I mean as a whole its been verey difficult for the NE to attract top players and a premium has to be paid to get them here.  Do you think that its going to no be easier to attract the talent when they are playing within a stones throw of a big money Saudi backed team?

Thats only beneficial if they're playing in the same league and get to compete directly against them. If not they're just going to be like the poor kids with their noses pressed against the sweet shop window, watching the rich kids fill their boots. ☹️

Still, I wish 'em well. They're a massive club with loads of history, right? Best fans in the country too... 

jealous bbc one GIF by BBC

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Uwe said:

I imagine they’re similar conversations going on in Saudi Arabia just now when the people of that country see how Newcastle fans treat their horses 🤜 🐴 and force their women to parade in miniskirts & boob tubes in sub zero temperatures

Just going from memory that sounds not unlike Middlesbrough train station late at night.

Or did the cops stop them doing that?

3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Not until January they can't.  Still got the current squad with Steve Bruce at the helm until then, unless they get rid of him of course.

A million looks like this: 1,000,000.

Aww...I was rather hoping you'd go for the

Big Deal Money GIF by Madman Films

approach.

1 hour ago, JonnyMFC said:

Nearer to 40, but still........My point being it could contribute towards making the North East a more inviting prospect, could it not?

Not sure about that.

Give a bunch of obnoxious idiots a boatload of money and they just become very ostentatious obnoxious idiots, right? 🤔

Like that chav lottery winner who *** off his neighbours by setting up a banger racing track in his back garden or something.

Also blew the lot and ended up broke again within a year or so...don't suppose we can look forward to that happening to the Mags though...

4 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

It is going to be depressing if we remain stuck in the championship while Newcaslte are in the CL in the next decade. Gibson has to step it up. But it's just sportswashing to make them seem good people despite all the horrors and human abuses that take place in their country 

Buying your way to success is hollow...to my mind at least. No glory in it whatsoever. Basically a legitimised form of cheating.

But we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. A lot will depend on who takes over from Bruce. They are also going to have to be at least somewhat creative in buying players, as many top players will be tied up on very expensive contracts at clubs who can afford to keep them (e.g. PSG, Man City).

I've no doubt they will achieve regular CL football under the new regime, but whether they actually win any silverware is another matter.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Not yet but thats not to say they wont. 

Not every where is a democracy nor does it have to be on the same platform as the UK, (look at Scotland as an example, they don't like it). I would question the balance of democracy if handing power to the EU? 

Look at Dubai, Abu Dhabi and the rest of the emirates +30 years ago, now have some of the best drinking holes in the world frequented by many celebrities. Women dress as they wish, drive cars, own property and promoted to leaders, senior governmental roles. 

Saudi is in the process of building huge holiday resort's, hence the recent demotions and incarceration of some its leaders. This included radical religious leaders and corrupt officials and family and military leaders. Now what  corruption means il will leave open to interpretation.   

The point being they have started to adapt, modernise but there are fractions that still want to remain faithful to the Quran (bible to us) call them ignorant if you will but and there could be some objections, even anxiety, to the new world order even uprisings, but its in progress. 

The point being Saudi is changing, to what and how long it takes is questionable, but it's in transition. 

Takes way more than fancy infrastructure, nice hotels and restaurants etc. to make a civilised country.

They still do a lot of things that are considered barbaric. Also killing journalists who try to reveal the less positive sides of your regime is right out of Vladimir Putin's playbook. The Crown Prince even had pretty much his entire family put under house arrest at one point, to consolidate his power.

I will concede Saudi is undergoing some significant changes, but its still got a long way to go.

I don't know what the political / religious / cultural differences are in Abu Dhabi & Dubai that have made them so much more open and tolerant. Maybe they just like tourists' and investors' money?

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Takes way more than fancy infrastructure, nice hotels and restaurants etc. to make a civilised country.

I agree with that just look at any of our major cities around the UK. 

They still do a lot of things that are considered barbaric. Also killing journalists who try to reveal the less positive sides of your regime is right out of Vladimir Putin's playbook.
Can’t argue with that but was it legally proven 

The Crown Prince even had pretty much his entire family put under house arrest at one point, to consolidate his power.

As I stated before in a previous post, corruption, opposition to change. 

I will concede Saudi is undergoing some significant changes, but its still got a long way to go.

Burning witch’s, trail by ordeal, hanging, yep It took England century’s to evolve and still we evolve. 

I don't know what the political / religious / cultural differences are in Abu Dhabi & Dubai that have made them so much more open and tolerant. Maybe they just like tourists' and investors' money?

Again no different to any major city or tourist destination in the UK. 

"Burning witch’s, trail by ordeal, hanging, yep It took England century’s to evolve and still we evolve."

This is such a weird argument from you.

It's 2021, what is happening now is what's relevant

The last person executed by burning in England was 1612.

The last trial by ordeal was 1219.

The last hanging and execution in England was in 1964, and they were both executed for murdering another man

Nobody currently in the government of England or the UK was involved in any of those deaths. 

Saudi Arabia has executed well over 40 people in 2021 alone, some for merely protesting against the government.

The new Newcastle owner has been directly involved in most of those executions.

• Like 4

Good luck to Newcastle, at least now they've got the money to buy out Warnocks contract to save them from relegation! 

I imagine 90%+ fans of any club would have been happy for a similar take over at their club, even after the Human Rights record was brought up.

One benefit long term for us could be that, if/When Newcastle invest in their academy we might be able to loan a few of their up and coming youngsters to help prop us up in whatever league we're floundering in at the time haha! 

8 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

"Burning witch’s, trail by ordeal, hanging, yep It took England century’s to evolve and still we evolve."

This is such a weird argument from you.

It's 2021, what is happening now is what's relevant

The last person executed by burning in England was 1612.

The last trial by ordeal was 1219.

The last hanging and execution in England was in 1964, and they were both executed for murdering another man

Nobody currently in the government of England or the UK was involved in any of those deaths. 

Saudi Arabia has executed well over 40 people in 2021 alone, some for merely protesting against the government.

The new Newcastle owner has been directly involved in most of those executions.

The point I was making is simple. 

England is a developed country and one could argue a leader in terms of workers rights, welfare and healthcare. A lot of these countries in Asia were still living in tents riding camels and governed by tribal and religious law around the same time. I should add the current Islamic year is 1443 as opposed to Gregorian calendar 2021 

There are many countries still in this world were life is second nature to survival and religion and criminals are seriously punished. I should add stealing is not punished if it’s deemed you stole for the sake of survival as in food etc, we’re as stealing for profit is likely to loose the hand you stole with, brutal don’t you think. 
So by fact we are further advanced as a developed country then developing counties. The point of highlighting our history was not to condone there action but to acknowledge we had traveled similar paths.

I had all already posted comments about recent events which involved the Royal family, officials and religious leaders which was mainly over distributing wealth, power and control and reluctance to change. Well that is how it’s been projected and there has been improvement since then, 2018 women allowed to drive, travel outside the country etc. There is huge tourist development currently in progress in the Islamic country. What they intend or for what purpose is hard to gauge. 

Dubai is far more advanced with laws protecting Women’s rights and gender equality but it took time and let’s not forget they traveled a similar path to Saudi. 

I have traveled and worked in many developing countries and followed the laws and culture as a guest. I have witnessed horrific events, bodies laid on streets, beggars braying of car doors, extreme poverty, dilapidated infrastructures, no welfare or healthcare, Angola for one, that made me realise just how far advanced and lucky this country we call home provides for its citizens.  

i am not condoning just providing a broader insight in to the history, culture and religion of the counties in discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
11 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Just going from memory that sounds not unlike Middlesbrough train station late at night.

Or did the cops stop them doing that?

I had no idea, how often were you there 😂