oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

10 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Sorry mate, but this is not true at all. The problem on here is not with long balls, but the frequency of long balls. Every team in the world employs them at times to set off attacks, relieve pressure or move a rigid defence around. But very few teams use them like we do. For example against sheff utd we made 174 passes and 71 of them were long balls. That's a ridiculous ratio that follows the general pattern of our play. 

I agree as the game is more about creating which can only be achieved if you have possession. However as you stated there are times when huffing a ball can be effective in defensive or creativity. I feel huffing ball with no specific target in mind or one that creates a 50 / 50 situation is conceding possession. 

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

There is no "accepted standard" that's the thing, it's all relative to the tactics employed. The goalkeeper punting the ball upfield to the striker, bypassing the midfield is a long ball. Your RB pinging a 60 yard lob to the LW a la David Beckham in his prime is a long ball. Anything which bypasses a part of the field of play that your tactics usually employ would be classed in my opinion, as a long ball.

Have to admit that if I am faced with the choice of the Sheff Utd tactic of a defender either side of the goalie with our forwards stood on the eighteen-yard line, or a punt to the halfway line, with the way things are at the moment, I prefer the latter. Might work with much better players, but would rather lose possession well away from the goal than within striking distance. Thanks for replies, it helps a little, the percentage of each type of pass appears to be the key thing 

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

This is a ridiculous stat. Only 2 passes a minute 🤣

Given we only had 1/3 of the possession it's a solid 6 passes per minute when we had the ball 😉

8 minutes ago, Will said:

Given we only had 1/3 of the possession it's a solid 6 passes per minute when we had the ball 😉

And with almost half of our passes being long balls there will have been minutes where we looked like Barcelona.

5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

And with almost half of our passes being long balls there will have been minutes where we looked like Barcelona.

See, now you're seeing the positives!

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Careful, man..  there's some on here that see ANY ball of over ten yards as "hoofball".   I think there is room in the game for passes of any distance, as you imply the important thing is the accuracy. In all honesty while keeping possession must be a priority, I see no problem to attempting a long pass if it is advantageous to the team by being accurate, we are never going to be Borocelona, but we need to be able to play in more than one way if its required. 

Agreed. Its about choosing the right pass at the right time.

A 50-60 yard diagonal ball out to a winger who's going to ping a pinpoint cross into the box for your striker is fine.

Aimlessly punting long balls up the pitch into open space or straight to the opposition is Warnockball...

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'd be surprised and annoyed if the appeal works, but Derby are appealing.

Vickers just made this point on Twitter. Isn't this the penalty for going into administration? Like, the same 12-point penalty that any club would get upon going into administration? I've absolutely no idea what their appeal is going to be. That they wouldn't be in administration if x, y and z? Fact is, they are in administration and it's the bloody administrators lodging the appeal. 😄

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Vickers just made this point on Twitter. Isn't this the penalty for going into administration? Like, the same 12-point penalty that any club would get upon going into administration? I've absolutely no idea what their appeal is going to be. That they wouldn't be in administration if x, y and z? Fact is, they are in administration and it's the bloody administrators lodging the appeal. 😄

Covid forced them in to administration rather than their own incompetence and it was beyond their control.

The same defence Wigan tried and failed with.

Hopefully it's thrown out as it's ***.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Covid forced them in to administration rather than their own incompetence and it was beyond their control.

The same defence Wigan tried and failed with.

Hopefully it's thrown out as it's ***.

Well, then all clubs who didn't fall into administration due to covid should get a 12 points bonus.

• Like 2

I think they'll be pursuing it on the basis of Force Majeur. An unforeseen act of god. Some case law out there to support the impact of covid as force majeur but none specifically in this circumstance. As administrators they have to pursue any opportunity that has the potential to bring more money into the club. I imagine they think they've got nothing to lose as they're going down anyway.

44 minutes ago, Rat catcher said:

It's not the 12 points, when are the EFL deducting the 9 points for there punishment for rule breaches ? Would not trust Parry and his other cronies to do the right thing.

Maybe they are playing Derby at their own game and dragging it out over the coming Summer to hit them with it in League One or at the end of this season if it looks like they are clawing their way to safety!

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

I think they'll be pursuing it on the basis of Force Majeur. An unforeseen act of god. Some case law out there to support the impact of covid as force majeur but none specifically in this circumstance. As administrators they have to pursue any opportunity that has the potential to bring more money into the club. I imagine they think they've got nothing to lose as they're going down anyway.

The only ruling out there that is relevant is that Wigan's appeal on the same grounds was rejected.