oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

If it goes to Court SG may be awarded fifty quid, five million, fifty million, a hundred million quid or nothing at all. He may even end up having to pay costs. That other teams didn't make a fuss about it was there choice, my guess is that they didn't know, understand or appreciate it fully (the EFL certainly didn't) which probably says a lot about the state of the game in general. There will also of course have been a few like Wednesday and Reading looking on anxiously.

If someone hits your car in a road accident that wasn't your fault should you just claim to have your car repaired and leave it at that or should you also claim for whiplash, broken limbs, pain, loss of earnings and long term psychological effects on you and your passengers? If the Driver of the offending Car is a fully insured multi billionaire or a skint uninsured student should that affect your pain, inconvenience, cost or thinking? 

If someone is considering buying Derby they need to factor in the potential fifty odd million for Boro and Wycombe as well as the value of the Club, it's not difficult. It's like buying a fixer upper House, you budget what you can afford and factor in worse case scenario if the roof has woodworm and the foundations are sinking. If all it needs is a lick of paint then you are quids in but if you can't afford the worse case scenario then you really shouldn't be buying it.

Someone may buy DCFC and find that SG and Wycombe's claims get thrown out of court in which case they are up on the deal. Take Mike Ashley as one example of a supposed interested party, £50M based on what he has just sold NUFC for isn't a deal breaker or shouldn't be. To me it's posturing to try and buy/sell Derby as cheaply as possible, problem is that SG and Wycombe have nothing to lose so it's a case of who blinks first if at all. A fully restored DCFC will potentially be worth a lot more than the supposed money currently on offer.

Unfortunately in all this Derby may indeed end up being condemned but if so it won't be as a result of Wycombe and SG.

All of this is completely missing the original point I was getting at right now. Derby broke the rules and I don't need to be reminded of what or how that changes things for them, I know and appreciate all that.

It's what that means for how introspective Gibson is as to that season. You make the analogy there of the car crash, how you can go fully in or back off. It's not about that. A couple of years ago I was involved in fortunately my only crash and yeah, I was deemed not at fault and I agreed with that in the grand scheme of things. But the accident played over in my head many times. Did I not brake soon enough, was I possibly going too fast, could I have gotten out the way somehow. It made me think about what I could have done to prevent the accident that ultimately was quite hard to avoid. Even playing that situation over and over in my head and accepting myself not being at fault as such, I still took the time to look at my own actions and reflect.

So what do we think? Does Gibson look back at that season and think about what we might have got wrong? Does he see what we saw, the incompetence of this overpaid manager? Well I'd argue no because as far as we understand, he did not want Pulis to leave and offered him a new deal. Now this claim on top of that suggests he believes that Derby caused us to fail. Does that show introspection? I don't think it does.

I dunno, just after that season and how it ended, emotionally that was hard for me as a Boro fan. I hated it. I really, really hated it and I really feel like a lot of other Boro fans felt the same. The only other season I can remember feeling like that was towards the end of Karanka's tenure. Our response to 16/17 was to try and make big changes, however poorly we executed those changes we at least acknowledged a need to change. Everything about 18/19 makes me feel like the club thinks the world was against us and there was very little we did wrong. That kind of hurts.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

5 hours ago, kentucky said:

It's not really about the money Gibson wants to clarify the rules ,and have them on record , so clubs cannot have an excuse going forward , it's a north v south finale.

That is certainly one of the main motivations. The EFL are an absolute shambles. Having a decision enforced by the courts provides condition precedent in the event similar happens again. It’s a form of protection but Gibson shouldn’t have to be doing this. The EFL should be enforcing it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, kentucky said:

It's not really about the money Gibson wants to clarify the rules ,and have them on record , so clubs cannot have an excuse going forward , it's a north v south finale.

He  could do that with a nominal £100K figure if that were the case, if all that was required was to get it enshrined in EFL stone.

i thought you stated a sum you feel is true, the defendant has chance to settle, the court then says they did/didn't offer a reasonable settlement if the settlement is rejected and then awards damages according to what the court feels is just. so asking for £45m you may end up with all, nothing or somewhere in between. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Humpty said:

That is certainly one of the main motivations. The EFL are an absolute shambles. Having a decision enforced by the courts provides condition precedent in the event similar happens again. It’s a form of protection but Gibson shouldn’t have to be doing this. The EFL should be enforcing it.

The EFL like other sporting bodies are terrified of courts and legal rulings as they always erode the all encompassing power that they used to have and force them to actually act and keep acting. The EFL really just wants to attend monthly meetings and have good tv revenue, with an annual booze up at the League cup final. Enforcing rules and making sure the league is fair and fit for purpose isn’t really what they want. 

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

The real losers in this are Wycombe. They're the ones deserving of compensation. Anything less than those two clubs swapping divisions next season is a dereliction of justice.

Absolutely, that team we had that season under pullis was not going to win the playoffs imo, but Wycombe went down, that was a blooming disaster for them as promotion to the championship and stability there was what they had financed and planned for and had they stayed up I don’t think they would have gone down the next season. But the cheating by Derby ruined that and probably set them back another 5 years.

money 3 years later is never to be sniffed at, but like all compensation it never truly repairs the damage done that warranted it.

• Like 1

I have just seen how angry the Derby fans are towards Steve Gibson over this.  

He's been trying for years to stop EFL clubs doing what Derby were doing and now that the chickens are coming home to roost it's all his fault that Derby are in this mess??! Not Mel Morris who wasnt even paying the local taxi firms?

Surely their anger should be directed at Mel Morris rather than Gibson? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

I have just seen how angry the Derby fans are towards Steve Gibson over this.  

He's been trying for years to stop EFL clubs doing what Derby were doing and now that the chickens are coming home to roost it's all his fault that Derby are in this mess??! Not Mel Morris who wasnt even paying the local taxi firms?

Surely their anger should be directed at Mel Morris rather than Gibson? 

They are angry at Morris though? They're not choosing to be angry at one or the other, it's both of them they're annoyed at from stuff I've read. The difference is Morris doesn't really have much more of a role to play, there's nothing to be gained for raising a tirade of abuse at Morris right now. Gibson, however, still has an active role in this.

Considering how little they knew at the time about what Morris was up to and that allegedly Wayne Rooney doesn't even know who the bidders are then I doubt very much if collectively they can see past their belly button fluff. when it comes to objectivity. 

Boro and Wycombe's "claims" I would think are the least of their problems. A team destined for League One with no Ground other than the one they have to presumably rent from their previous owner isn't an enticing prospect. Granted the Boro and Wycombe spectacle doesn't help any but there are more problems far deeper within the club than just that. Perhaps if Mel sold them the Ground back for a penny it would at least mitigate the risk of what Boro and Wycombe could cost them. In fact isn't Pride Park valued at over £80M, it would certainly make for a far more attractive proposition to a prospective purchaser.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Considering how little they knew at the time about what Morris was up to and that allegedly Wayne Rooney doesn't even know who the bidders are then I doubt very much if collectively they can see past their belly button fluff. when it comes to objectivity. 

Boro and Wycombe's "claims" I would think are the least of their problems. A team destined for League One with no Ground other than the one they have to presumably rent from their previous owner isn't an enticing prospect. Granted the Boro and Wycombe spectacle doesn't help any but there are more problems far deeper within the club than just that. Perhaps if Mel sold them the Ground back for a penny it would at least mitigate the risk of what Boro and Wycombe could cost them. In fact isn't Pride Park valued at over £80M, it would certainly make for a far more attractive proposition to a prospective purchaser.

I can't see a way how Morris manages sell Pride Park back to Derby for significantly less than the £81m he paid for it after that whole debacle.

• Like 2
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

I can't see a way how Morris manages sell Pride Park back to Derby for significantly less than the £81m he paid for it after that whole debacle.

Neither can I but he had the bare faced cheek to do in the first place so why not now? It's not as if he would lose all credibility, that ship has long sailed, in fact he may even redeem himself some goodwill and respect.

At the moment the DCFC fans are all having a go at Klopp and how Liverpool couldn't put a side out against Arsenal but could manage one against Shrewsbury in the FA Cup and how Klopp gets away with it. The fact he mentioned how great the Liverpool academy was in producing the kids that he had to play against Shrewsbury has upset them even more because one of them was an ex Derby kid (Kaide Gordon) who Morris sold to pay the wages. The EFL and FA are cheats, Liverpool are cheats, the Administrators are useless, the Wycombe Chairman should be sued for his comments and as for Steve Gibson......

I get that they are hurting and worried but they aren't doing themselves any favours. They have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes and what is being discussed with who and about what but they are happy to blame everything and anyone despite having the same amount of knowledge as when Morris was in charge. Despite having no knowledge (which is why the vacuum is being filled with fear mongering)  they are blaming Gibson as the reason why they will go into liquidation, what on earth would Gibson achieve by Derby going into liquidation?

To me DCFC administrators seem to be stuck between a "preferred bid" and the "biggest bid". Even when they do finally decide on a bidder there will be a myriad of issues to resolve and details to get through but in the meantime Derby fans can vent their fears and anger by having a lynching party for SG, followed quickly by Rick Parry. Yep that's the same Ziege and three points Parry, oh the irony! Unfortunately for the Rams fans the penny hasn't dropped yet, Gibsons ire isn't aimed at DCFC its aimed at the EFL and at Parry in particular, the very same Parry the Derby fans are blaming.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Neither can I but he had the bare faced cheek to do in the first place so why not now? It's not as if he would lose all credibility, that ship has long sailed, in fact he may even redeem himself some goodwill and respect.

At the moment the DCFC fans are all having a go at Klopp and how Liverpool couldn't put a side out against Arsenal but could manage one against Shrewsbury in the FA Cup and how Klopp gets away with it. The fact he mentioned how great the Liverpool academy was in producing the kids that he had to play against Shrewsbury has upset them even more because one of them was an ex Derby kid (Kaide Gordon) who Morris sold to pay the wages. The EFL and FA are cheats, Liverpool are cheats, the Administrators are useless, the Wycombe Chairman should be sued for his comments and as for Steve Gibson......

I get that they are hurting and worried but they aren't doing themselves any favours. They have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes and what is being discussed with who and about what but they are happy to blame everything and anyone despite having the same amount of knowledge as when Morris was in charge. Despite having no knowledge (which is why the vacuum is being filled with fear mongering)  they are blaming Gibson as the reason why they will go into liquidation, what on earth would Gibson achieve by Derby going into liquidation?

To me DCFC administrators seem to be stuck between a "preferred bid" and the "biggest bid". Even when they do finally decide on a bidder there will be a myriad of issues to resolve and details to get through but in the meantime Derby fans can vent their fears and anger by having a lynching party for SG, followed quickly by Rick Parry. Yep that's the same Ziege and three points Parry, oh the irony! Unfortunately for the Rams fans the penny hasn't dropped yet, Gibsons ire isn't aimed at DCFC its aimed at the EFL and at Parry in particular, the very same Parry the Derby fans are blaming.

It will be interesting to see who is willing to buy them, without owning their own stadium and a value put on it only a few years ago. Add to this club debts which won’t be small, an EFL Transfer embargo limiting them until all footballing debts are cleared in full. £50m+ of that footballing debt would be to Boro and Wycombe and the fact unless things change massively they will be in Division 3 next season.

The fat man who used to own Newcastle is interested, he knows who to put in to run a club that doesn’t play beyond its financial means nor invests more than the returns will guarantee him and the club.

The other consortium seem to be American based, with links to former directors. 

You can see why the administrators and the fans are not happy.

• Like 1