oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

A bit like the SPL then!

Can I say that, or am I being racist to stereotypical bandy legged kilt wearing ginnocks with delusions of Champions League qualifying round grandeur or don't they count and are considered fair game? That basically is not far removed from many comments posted on here about Scottish Football in general and Celtic FC in particular all afternoon on here. 

I fully get DZ's indifference to AFCON. Despite the fact it has some of the World's greatest and most talented footballers it is interspersed with incidents that question it's credibility. I personally don't watch it or am interested in it because of that. I don't watch much of the Premiership either because it's basically fixed to ensure that only four Clubs can win it and struggle to get excited because I know the outcomes 95% of the time before a ball is kicked. The jokes on here all week about Referees at Old Trafford being less than neutral is testimony to that undercurrent.

It's all about opinions. I know that for the vast majority the Premiership is the holy grail but for me it's no longer a sporting event, merely a greedy commercial business that generates obscene income, far from being a competition it's rigged by protective financial glass ceilings. 

It is possible to be disparaging of something without it being based upon the Country, Countries or Ethnicities involved. Some things in England are garbage, some things in Scotland are garbage and some things in Africa are garbage but to others they aren't. Man City and Liverpool fans love the Premiership, Celtic and Rangers fans love the SPL (and trying for ten in a row) but all four sets of fans believe that they are playing in a genuine "sporting" tournament (deluded in my opinion).

I have a medal for winning a sack race at school as an 8 year old, it's my most treasured sporting achievement for many personal reasons far greater than what it actually is but I dare say others would turn their nose up at it and make unkind comments. I dare say that those players who are playing in the AFCON tournament feel about it the same way I feel about my sack race medal, if others don't feel it then that's their opinion and they are entitled to it, it doesn't make them either "sackist" or "racist" nor does it devalue my medal to me. 

My DNA has a bit of a Heinz 57 mix and has literally resulted in a few bricks and stones being chucked my way more than once because of it before someone starts preaching to me. I love Isaiah Jones, a bit meh about Tav, disappointed in Britt, couldn't stand Gestede but absolutely love Sol Bamba the player and the man. Didn't particularly like Woodgate or Hugill for that matter, loved then hated Ramirez but steadfastly hate Tommy Robinson. It is possible to have opinions about people, races and countries without being labelled, or at least it should be. 

NAIL ON THE HEAD.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Racist? No. Entitled and ignorant, absolutely. Some of the best players in the world play at that tournament. It takes place in winter here because that's their summer. It's second only to the world cup for those nations and the people who come from them. It's incredibly disrespectful to those nations and their people to be so dismissive about it and insult it's importance.

May not be on the same level as blatant racism, but it still makes you out in a very negative light in my book. 

As for being entitled to his own opinion...that entitlement becomes less when the opinion is based on absolutely ***.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Cos the Irish are well known for being respectful of different opinions 😬

Why do you have to say *** like this? Ever tried not making a snarky, unnecessary and potentially offensive comment?

All we need now is Sonni to do his Aretha impersonation to begin the next matchday thread (subtle hint, cough, cough). As the old saying goes, everybody's opinion matters but some matter more than others (especially if you are married 🙂 ) It wouldn't be much of a forum if we all agreed, so as long as we show respect that should be all that matters. Anyway if Mickey Mouse represents pointlessness, which cartoon character makes a competition meaningful? Donald Duck, Deputy Dawg, Muttley, Yogi..  there must be an opposite   (Roll on Saturday)     

12 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Why do you have to say *** like this? Ever tried not making a snarky, unnecessary and potentially offensive comment?

Because it's true, that's why 🤷‍♂️  The Irish are respectful of opinions just as long as it's one they share, but yeah, lecture others anyway 🤦‍♂️

Try keeping track of all of the potential offensive comments mate, not just the ones you feel or decide might be.  Just in the interests of fairness and that.  

13 hours ago, Changing Times said:

But he doesn't believe it because of the skin colour of the participants so for DS to infer any racial context is absolutely wrong.

That's put in a far better way CT and an arguement/observation that I am comfortabe with, being called pathetic is insulting and goading to a degree, my opinion only I will add

11 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

A bit like the SPL then!

Can I say that, or am I being racist to stereotypical bandy legged kilt wearing ginnocks with delusions of Champions League qualifying round grandeur or don't they count and are considered fair game? That basically is not far removed from many comments posted on here about Scottish Football in general and Celtic FC in particular all afternoon on here. 

I fully get DZ's indifference to AFCON. Despite the fact it has some of the World's greatest and most talented footballers it is interspersed with incidents that question it's credibility. I personally don't watch it or am interested in it because of that. I don't watch much of the Premiership either because it's basically fixed to ensure that only four Clubs can win it and struggle to get excited because I know the outcomes 95% of the time before a ball is kicked. The jokes on here all week about Referees at Old Trafford being less than neutral is testimony to that undercurrent.

It's all about opinions. I know that for the vast majority the Premiership is the holy grail but for me it's no longer a sporting event, merely a greedy commercial business that generates obscene income, far from being a competition it's rigged by protective financial glass ceilings. 

It is possible to be disparaging of something without it being based upon the Country, Countries or Ethnicities involved. Some things in England are garbage, some things in Scotland are garbage and some things in Africa are garbage but to others they aren't. Man City and Liverpool fans love the Premiership, Celtic and Rangers fans love the SPL (and trying for ten in a row) but all four sets of fans believe that they are playing in a genuine "sporting" tournament (deluded in my opinion).

I have a medal for winning a sack race at school as an 8 year old, it's my most treasured sporting achievement for many personal reasons far greater than what it actually is but I dare say others would turn their nose up at it and make unkind comments. I dare say that those players who are playing in the AFCON tournament feel about it the same way I feel about my sack race medal, if others don't feel it then that's their opinion and they are entitled to it, it doesn't make them either "sackist" or "racist" nor does it devalue my medal to me. 

My DNA has a bit of a Heinz 57 mix and has literally resulted in a few bricks and stones being chucked my way more than once because of it before someone starts preaching to me. I love Isaiah Jones, a bit meh about Tav, disappointed in Britt, couldn't stand Gestede but absolutely love Sol Bamba the player and the man. Didn't particularly like Woodgate or Hugill for that matter, loved then hated Ramirez but steadfastly hate Tommy Robinson. It is possible to have opinions about people, races and countries without being labelled, or at least it should be. 

Excellent post mate.

9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Should have just left your post there rather than delete it mate.

Cba to keep fighting with you, if you want to make xenophobic comments, you do you. Eventually you'll *** off the wrong person.

13 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

A bit like the SPL then!

Congratulations, Very aptly  put. 

8 hours ago, Downsouth said:

That's put in a far better way CT and an arguement/observation that I am comfortabe with, being called pathetic is insulting and goading to a degree, my opinion only I will add

And I'm sure DZ wasn't insulted when you suggested his comments were racist.  Do you really still not see it yet?  

I wasn't trying to goad you, but I thought, and still think, that your comments were pathetic.  Sorry but that's my opinion only as well.