oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

The government is going to introduce an independent regulator for all English football clubs, following a fan-led review led by former sports minister Tracy Crouch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61211255

The regulator will have the power to sanction clubs who break the rules (including financial ones). There will be a new owners' test and fans will be given a greater say in the running of their clubs.

Only potential problem is that no timeline has been set for the changes to be introduced, so its fair to assume there will be some procrastination...especially from the Premier League who are dead set against an independent regulator (surprise surprise).

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

On 4/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, Redcar Rioja said:

A few years ago I used the term "bent as a nine bob note" in a meeting for which someone reported me as being offensive! I shouldn't have used the word "bent" apparently.

I explained the meaning of the expression but the twenty something wasn't having any of it so I ended the "discussion" shook my head and left them to it. Even explaining that in the context of the conversation her understanding of it made absolutely no sense versus the actual meaning of the expression was still apparently unacceptable in their mind.

Last week HR and I were discussing a CV submitted for a position which I thought was interesting. During  part of my proposal to organise an interview I stated I think he is around 60 but before I could finish I was cut off and received a dressing down for age discrimination. Regardless of repeatedly explaining the benefit of employing an experienced well versed individual which I supported the spotty faced young HR repeatedly lectured me to the point I felt I was somehow guilty of a serious crime. I give up. The thing is I’m not far off mid sixty myself. 

• Sad 2
12 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Last week HR and I were discussing a CV submitted for a position which I thought was interesting. During  part of my proposal to organise an interview I stated I think he is around 60 but before I could finish I was cut off and received a dressing down for age discrimination. Regardless of repeatedly explaining the benefit of employing an experienced well versed individual which I supported the spotty faced young HR repeatedly lectured me to the point I felt I was somehow guilty of a serious crime. I give up. The thing is I’m not far off mid sixty myself. 

This is what I mean with the term ‘Offence hunting’ (I freely admit it’s a term that I’ve completely made up) but is it to describe the actions of many people today who will interpret or more accurately misinterpret  any action/conversation in way that is deemed offensive usually to do one of three things. 
1) Shut down any debate or conversation they don’t like. 
2) Make themselves sound virtuous and score points in the group. 
3) They spend too much time on social media and think this is the correct way people actually communicate now. 

It’s a really sad state of affairs that we find ourselves in these days and one of the main reasons I stopped using social media altogether

(Disclaimer: this post is a stand alone response to SD’s post and by no means directed at any forum member on oneBoro) 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Uwe said:

This is what I mean with the term ‘Offence hunting’ (I freely admit it’s a term that I’ve completely made up) but is it to describe the actions of many people today who will interpret or more accurately misinterpret  any action/conversation in way that is deemed offensive usually to do one of three things. 
1) Shut down any debate or conversation they don’t like. 
2) Make themselves sound virtuous and score points in the group. 
3) They spend too much time on social media and think this is the correct way people actually communicate now. 

It’s a really sad state of affairs that we find ourselves in these days and one of the main reasons I stopped using social media altogether

(Disclaimer: this post is a stand alone response to SD’s post and by no means directed at any forum member on oneBoro) 

How dare you, I'm offended by your "offence hunter" term, take it back

• Haha 3

Having grown up seeing and witnessing first hand, religious, ageist, sexist, racist and just about every other type of abuse you could think off I can immediately see, smell and sense abuse even when it is being concealed behind a very thin veneer.

Questions like what's their surname, what school did they go to or where do they live were and indeed still are not so subtly used to determine what people are before their CV merits were even discussed. All things that the younger generation wouldn't have a clue what was being done under their nose.

I find it annoying having spent a lot of my life fighting for and defending the underdog in eras when it wasn't fashionable and indeed often with scary threatening consequences when I hear or read a lecture on what is deemed appropriate and acceptable. Ironically because I'm of a certain age I must be racist or sexist because our lot voted for Brexit and that makes us all right wing extremists (the irony is often lost).

I'm in full support of anything which prevents or at least limits any type of "ism" but I am increasingly coming across people that are to me at least almost borderline Witchfinders from the 1600's in their pursuit. It's like a modern day version of the ducking stool, but I suppose if they drown then they might have been innocent. 

13 minutes ago, Leesider said:

Blackburn looking very impressive tonight.4-1 up at Preston after 54 mins.

I was hoping that Preston would be up for it being a derby type of game but not so much 🙁

10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I was hoping that Preston would be up for it being a derby type of game but not so much 🙁

I don't think it's a result that really matters to us, we need wins to have a chance, unless Sheffield United surprisingly drop points in both their remaining games.

Thankfully we have the luxury of Sheffield United playing on Friday.

We'll know whether it's win or bust before we play Stoke (if we do manage to win on Wednesday).

27 minutes ago, Leesider said:

Blackburn looking very impressive tonight.4-1 up at Preston after 54 mins.

Bereton Diaz back in the side 2 assists tonight,they've badly missed him and they've got Bradley Dack on the bench, they've still got a chance.  

5 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Blackburn's results are almost irrelevant as we need to win our 3 games regardless of anything they do.

We don't if Sheff Utd lose their remaining two but yeah they are secondary to Sheff Utd in that sense.

4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

On the other hand, if this is how Preston are planning on playing at home for the rest of the season, it bodes well for our visit on the last game of the season. Assuming we still have something to play for of course. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

On the other hand, if this is how Preston are planning on playing at home for the rest of the season, it bodes well for our visit on the last game of the season. Assuming we still have something to play for of course. 

I was hoping they'd raise their game for the derby against Blackburn but then having got a decent result would forget about the rest of the season.  Hopefully after we've crushed Cardiff and Stoke they will roll over for us as well 👍